Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Only a pretty good gunstore would have a decent enough selection to make this approach you suggest work! But if a father and son visited a place with a good inventory of new and used guns and worked together to find the right first gun........the results would be far better!

A used rifle can often be found that would far surpass the budget rifles. One real problem with this approach though is that team approach is actually happening and many of them are looking for exactly what the author of this thread is looking for!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
I have a serious issue with your statement about walnut stocks and metal rifles gathering dust! Where did you get that conclusion from. I am a former Army Colonel and have followed the whole gun industry for years. Being at big gunstores on lucky occasions I am particularly interested in hearing what father, grandfather, and younger sons and daughter say when they are shopping for that first entry rifle!

It is pretty interesting to watch what they end up with! Chuck Hawks has one of the best respected reviews on the Internet. He clearly favors walnut stocks. I have always noted in looking at combat rifles how many countries use wooden stocks in conditions that many USA hunters would feel greatly would favor "modern fiberglass or composite stocks".
Authorities like Jack O'Connor used wooden stocks when many had shifted to change composites.

Often at big gunstores I ask buyers what would be your ultimate choice in a rifle. Wooden stocks and good barrels and actions is the answer most often.

Absolutely classic!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a serious issue with your statement about walnut stocks and metal rifles gathering dust! Where did you get that conclusion from. I am a former Army Colonel and have followed the whole gun industry for years. Being at big gunstores on lucky occasions I am particularly interested in hearing what father, grandfather, and younger sons and daughter say when they are shopping for that first entry rifle!

It is pretty interesting to watch what they end up with! Chuck Hawks has one of the best respected reviews on the Internet. He clearly favors walnut stocks. I have always noted in looking at combat rifles how many countries use wooden stocks in conditions that many USA hunters would feel greatly would favor "modern fiberglass or composite stocks".
Authorities like Jack O'Connor used wooden stocks when many had shifted to change composites.

Often at big gunstores I ask buyers what would be your ultimate choice in a rifle. Wooden stocks and good barrels and actions is the answer most often.

I'd be surprised if you get much agreement on that, unless you were being facetious.

Last edited by doubletap; 11/24/15.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Thirty thirty..... if he can run a lever. Find a nice used marlin with pretty wood...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have an american I won... I tried to get it rebored.. guy refused, said he would not work on one again, PITA etc...

Plus I dont' care for ruger still due to past politics.

The Rem has a LOT more options out there and for the future.

That being said I'd take him to a gun show or gun shop and let him look...after all its he that has to like it really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Wood is fine. Synthetic is by far better. Depends on your needs. If you would hang around shooters that are picky, competitive ones, that demand zero's stay the same and top line accuracy, will take synthetic every last time.

I did not stay at a Holiday inn last night.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both, like em both well enough. I'm a Ruger fan so I bought the All American for my 12 year old Grandson. If he had his dream gun it would an AR with a hand full of 30 round mags. cool He will figure out exactly what he wants in a deer rifle down the road.

I vote RAR 223/243 Vari X-II 2-7X33.

I thought Remington did away with the ADL years ago.

Ed
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SPS by a very long mile.

If you really love your son, Whittaker Guns has Howa's for $329.00 right now.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
remington 700 all day

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I went with a Rem 700 Youth .243 for my son when he got tall enough to use the 12.5" LOP. Before that he was using an H&R single shot with a shorter LOP because we started when he was 5 years old and a little on the short side.

I looked at several others but for the money, and the availability of almost any aftermarket part you could want the 700 just made the most sense to me.

It is not a finely blued rifle but I gave it a couple of coats of Krylon Matte Clear and it still looks good after 5 years and several deer taken. The stock spacer will allow it to grow with him and it is accurate with factory ammo. Then we have the option of buying a better stock and trigger later if we want, but the way it shoots now I don't know why we would. The only thing I would like to have that it did not come with is maybe a 22" barrel over the factory 20".

It will probably not be his main rifle for the rest of his hunting life, I'm sure he will experiment, but for deer sized game it will be all he would need.

When they get older they can have more input and help make decisions on what they would like have.

Bob.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
SPS by a very long mile.

If you really love your son, Whittaker Guns has Howa's for $329.00 right now.

Travis

The howas feel like solid rifles. If they put out some of their micro action .223s in 1-8" with a weatherby style stock I'll have one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not sure that 8 twist is gonna gain you anything with that short of a mag.

But the standard VG's and Howa's can be got with any stock your heart desires. Almost.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
u know there are sooooo many good calibers out there now for the young hunters.in my day it was the 30-30 or 257mainly because pill selection for the lighter calibers like the 243 were limited.
today u have the 7mm-08,260,25-06,he can probably even shoot a 308.
yes there have been a variety of new calibers over the past 20 years or so but nothing really new in ballistics,the new and in my opinion best new developement has been pills, so that now even a 22 caliber can be used.
i have a 223 loaded with sierras relatively new 65 gr bt,it has a 1-9 twist and shoots under .500 at 100 yards. the only thing is its a max 200 yard weapon,maybe even 150
270 FOREVER JACK CONVINCED ME I GOT 6 OF THEM

Last edited by thomasgajan; 11/25/15.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The 700 will be just fine for a first gun. If he takes to hunting and shooting buy him a nice wood/blued for graduation if thats what he wants.

Myself having the choice of someone buying me one would not be blued/wood. I would pick SS/Syn.

I picked up one of the youth 243 700's about 3 yrs ago from wally world on sale for $299. Nice little gun. I ended up selling the slick youth stock for $50 and replaced it with a factory SPS with the hogue type grip panels which I like much more.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
cdnnsports.com has the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in several configurations and calibers including blue/walnut, stainless/synthetic and compact versions for $499. The 7mm-08 All Weather would be a great choice!

Last edited by czech1022; 11/25/15.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looking at some other options which are quite a few nowadays. You also have the Weatherby compact youth which is a Howa action but its stock can be extended as he grows. My Daughter has three Tikkas and one custom Sako 243. Her one Tikka is the hunter in 308 with the stock cut down to fit her and a Edwards recoil reducer coupled with a limbsaver recoil pad. Virtually no felt recoil. She also has a Tikka 7mm mag T3 but her favorite is the Tikka compact in 7mm-08. Excellent trigger with a Leupold 3-9. More than RAR in cost but a real handy accurate rifle. I think 7mm-08 is the way to go what ever rifle you purchase.

Last edited by coyote268; 11/25/15.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
be careful the wall world rems are usually rem 783s

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
If it is an ADL it is a deal. A BDL, even better. I had an SPS once . I don't know how much difference there is but the SPS .243 Win. Youth rusted really fast and could only get 3" groups @ 100 yds. We traded it for a Tikka t3Light? in .270 Win. He likes that gun a lot more. It is longer and not a youth but is a better gun. It was $ 529 without a scope however. Wish I'd spent a bit more right away. He has a Redffield Revolution 2x7 on it. The cost came to about $700 out the door but might be worth it in the long run. He got a 3 pt and a bear so far in 3 years of owning it. In 20 yrs, the extra few hundred bucks will long be forgotten, but the quality will still be there. I dont think you will go wrong with the Remington though. Will need a real scope in 5 yrs though.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/25/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you can, let him handle both and see which one he prefers. If he has a strong preference, you have your answer.

If no strong preference, I would go with the Remington 700... As stated above, there is a world of after market parts available to tweak it and customize it when the time comes.

JMO... YMMV...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
I bet that SPS package is actually an ADL.

Actually it is a budget BDL since it has a floor plate.

b

I know the difference. I also know that my local Walmart sells the the ADL package for $377. I also know the going rate for a SPS is about $550-$600.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,306 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.