Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Am wanting to pick up a 22 hornet single shot for ground squirrel shooting here in Idaho. Am looking at either a Ruger 1B or Browning 1885. Thoughts either way? Found an example of each for around $1800 used. Seems like a lot but maybe not ( the browning has glass, the ruger not).

Regards,

Tom
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Browning is a Low Wall example?

$1800 is quite high for a Ruger in .22 Hornet, IMO, unless it has spectacular wood and pixie dust on it smirk $1800 is kinda high for the Browning, depending on what kind of scope it has.

I have a #1 in .218 Bee, but for a Hornet I'd suggest the Browning as the better choice.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Browning is a low wall. Both are through Cabela's gun library, so overpriced. Don't know if they'll deal on a remote purchase or not.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, at least you can find pictures of them, to see the wood smile

There's been a couple of .257 Weatherby Rugers on GB, but the butthead wouldn't even answer me when I asked for pics.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a worked over No. 3 22 K-Hornet that is my favorite ground squirrel shooter. Of the two you listed, I think my preference would be the low wall.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have a Hornet but I have a No. 1 in .223 and an 1885 Browning in .223.

I like them both but the Browning is more accurate and lighter by a pound and a half. The only thing I don't like about the 1885 is the finish. It is really glossy. I also should add that the Browning is, as you know, cocked and ready to shoot as soon as you load it. If you carry it loaded you have to let the hammer down and that is sometimes difficult if you're wearing gloves and have a scope reducing the clearance to the hammer lever. You get used to it but the Ruger is better in that regard.

Last edited by stantdm; 11/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to Brian Pearce, the mechanism of the Low Wall makes it next to impossible to have a whoopsie while lowering the hammer. I have one in Hornet and it is a little awkward, but not really an issue. Nicest rifle I've ever owned, but don't think I'd go $1800 for one without really good glass on it.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
O
Concur with most of what's been said above. The Browning is the better rifle in terms of quality, but the glossy finish is out-of-place. I stripped mine and refinished with oil. $1,800 is a bargain if it has Talley rings and German glass, otherwise not so much.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm also a fan of the Browning over the Ruger. Most if not all I have owned or used will shoot tighter groups. I only use them for Prairie Dog and they don't complain about the shine. smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The advantage I see Ruger having on a varmint rifle is the availability of a set trigger
I have both brands and like both.

I am one gun away from happy
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make them an offer

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
TIB

Found you a nice Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet.
Seems like a great deal!
PM sent.

Good luck, Dennis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tominboise: I have the Ruger #1-B's in both 22 Hornet and in 218 Bee.
I bought them both new way back when.
If pressed today I would go with the 218 Bee Ruger #1-B.
My Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet was a rather "difficult" Rifle to get to shoot even fairly.
If that Ruger #1 did not have such beautiful wood I would have sold it already.
After MUCH load work I finally got the Hornet to shoot in the .900" range!
Whereas the Ruger #1-B in 218 Bee shot very well right from the get go.
Bot of those #1-B's have Leupold 6x18 variable scopes on them.
Over the years I have had MUCH difficulty with several brands of Rifles in 22 Hornet in obtaining acceptable (average) accuracy.
Those brands include Anschutz, Winchesters, Rugers and Savages.
I would go with the Ruger #1-B in 218 Bee for Ground Squirrel Hunting - mine has done very well on these Varmints in the past.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Browning for sure.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a #1B in 22 hornet
Accuracy was poor.
Have not had the Browning.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer has a Number 1 that apparently shoots about like my Browning, that is to say very well. He uses pointy 40gr plastic tip bullets over LilGun, whereas so far I'm "stuck" with H110 and SP primers. Both of us seat them way out there. The single shots let you get close to the rifling, unlike a lot of the bolt guns.

My rifle also likes the 30gr Varmint Grenades, again over H110 with F100M primers, and looks promising as a turkey and squirrel rifle using Speer 46gr FPs over 7gr of 2400 to approximate .22 mag velocity.

15 years ago, Ross Seyfried wrote a pair of articles about Hornets for Rifle and Handloader that were tremendously helpful to me by pointing out how persnickety they could be and that most pistol powders (LilGun excepted) did better when sparked with SP primers. Most published data uses SR primers, which probably explains the mediocre results a lot of people get, including a lot of gunwriters.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, my No. 1B Hornet has shot really well from the get-go, as did a Ruger No. 3 I had for a while. No drama at all with 40-grain bullets and Li'l Gun. In fact I've owned a total of 5 Hornets, two K-Hornets that were a CZ 527 and my present Brno, and a T/C Contender Carbine barrel. The worst any of them shot was the T/C barrel, and it started putting five a little under an inch right away.

I also had a super-accurate 1885 Low Wall in .243 for a number of years, so accurate it was pretty amazing on PD's out to 500 yards even with the skinny octagon barrel. Have also shot a friend's 1885 .22 Hornet, which was very accurate but no more so that the two Rugers.

The biggest difference I see between the Ruger and the Browning is the trigger. The Ruger's often isn't bad out of the box, and is easy to work over for a clean pull, but the Browning's pull usually isn't all that great, and the mechanism is more complex and difficult to fix.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to work some more with my #1 .218 Bee. Lil Gun will run 40's 3200+ fps, and so far it seems accurate. There's a 12x fixed Loopey here to replace the funny Burris that's on it, now.

Now, finding Bee brass is a bit sketchy smirk

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would choose the Bee, but I have 400 rounds of new brass plus whatever remains out of the other 100. I haven't ruined any, but I might have lost a few as I use a lever gun. Not loaded too hotly, it lasts well.

As to rifle choices, I have had several Brownings and a Winchester that all shot really well. I have owned No. 1s, but I have hell scoping them because of eye relief. Last one I had, a Vari-X III 3.5-10 only worked to about 5-6 power, then became too far forward. Aggravating! A 3X Leupold worked great, but on a longer range caliber, just not enough glass.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tom,

I've not been around these parts in several months, I just looked in out of boredom...

Be that as it may... I have had both.. And currently own a 1-A in .22 Horn. which is unbelievably accurate. One of my Browning Low Walls has been converted to "K" Hornet. And that is hands down a favorite... I had a 1-B in .22 Horn, but I really doubt that velocity advantage in the 26" vs the 22" is any more than minimal. My biggest beef with the 1-B is the weight. It is waay heavier than it needs to be.

In fact, I also have a 1-B in .218 Bee, that I cut back to 23 5/8" barrel. I like it much better.

Winchester recently made a run of Lo-Walls in .22 Hornet, but the wood is VERY "plain jane". I have two of those, as well... But the Hornet is slated to be bored to .25/20 and the .223 to 6.5x47 on the .222 Mag case. (I paid $839 for both of them over the counter..." Am considering buy another to have bored to 6.5 Creedmore. smile The logic on that move is a bit skewed, as I also have Browning LW's in .243 Win and .260 Rem...

My point is; You can basically have anything you want, if you are willing to make it. Of course, sometimes those bastards at Ruger make it right after you get yours back from the 'smith... (But that's another story... wink )

Bottom line is: I'd take the LW over the 1-B all day long... Triggers can be fixed...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.