Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 22250rem
IIRC Kenny Rodgers and the first edition hit the charts with that song in the spring of 1968; or was it the fall of 1967?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Yeah, yeah, oh yeah."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Written by the great Mickey Newbury

The Newbury version of the song is different but quite good. Supposedly written for Jerry Lee Lewis, who recorded it but didn't like it and I don't think released it though you can find it on YouTube. Some interesting covers also on YouTube including a slash metal one (Children of Bodem or something like that?).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Children of Bodem suck. They need to stick to metal or learn to sing if they are going to ATTEMPT to do covers well.

Last edited by seal_billy; 11/25/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RufusG
Written by the great Mickey Newbury

The Newbury version of the song is different but quite good. Supposedly written for Jerry Lee Lewis, who recorded it but didn't like it and I don't think released it though you can find it on YouTube. Some interesting covers also on YouTube including a slash metal one (Children of Bodem or something like that?).

"The Newbury version" is the original, so arguably the Kenny Rogers version and others are the different ones. Most artists will change songs to suit their voice or style, but the songwriter is still credited.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I remember the song but that was in 1968...

one of the thing about growing up as a military dependent....is that some things you can remember by where you lived when you heard them or saw them....

In 1966 and 67 we lived in North Carolina at Ft Bragg....

IN 1968, the old man went overseas, on an assignment that he couldn't take the family so we went home to Virginia....

I remember well grooving to the song while we lived in North Carolina, doing my homework, and listening on the radio I have saved up my paper delivering money and bought.... so that would have put the song to late 1967....

just checked with Wikipedia...listed it recorded and released by another group in the fall of 67 (Nov), and then by " First Edition" in early Feb 68....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

"The Newbury version" is the original,

Not sure that's the case. Turns out the JLL version at least was released in 1967, Newbury not until 1968, and KR still may have beat him at that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K.R has always had a good voice.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RufusG

"The Newbury version" is the original,

Not sure that's the case. Turns out the JLL version at least was released in 1967, Newbury not until 1968, and KR still may have beat him at that.

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" is a counterculture era song written by Mickey Newbury. Said to reflect the LSD experience, the song was intended to be a warning against the danger of using LSD. First recorded on October 10, 1967 by Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul as a single on Rice Records (Rice 5028 b/w "Stagger Lee") and produced by Norro Wilson, Jerry Lee Lewis soon covered the song for his album Soul My Way.

"Just Dropped In ..." was a hit for Kenny Rogers and the First Edition (with Kenny Rogers on lead vocals) in 1968.

I think you're being confused by the fact that JLL and KR recorded it before Newbury did, which doesn't mean Newbury didn't write it first. Or we disagree on what "original" means. I suppose you could call a song Newbury wrote but didn't record first the "original" version when someone else recorded it first. I'd say the song writer's version is the original because it represents what he intended when he wrote it. My main point is that Newbury wrote it, and several others covered it. Who recorded it first is arguably (as I said in my first post on this) not the original version. But if we are to call the "original" version the first recorded version, then the credit goes to Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul on October 10, 1967.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I think you're being confused

First, no one was talking about "original" until you started hyperventilating. I mentioned the "Newbury version" because we were talking about the Kenny Rogers version. Different means just that, and does not denote chronology.

And you're still wrong about the original part. What he intended when he wrote it is to sell the song to someone and make some money. The fact that he subsequently put it on his own record is irrelevant. By your definition, if Kris Kristofferson writes a song for Johnny Cash, then happens to record it himself 20 years later, his version is the original. I don't think so.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Just dropped in to see what condition my condition is in

[video:youtube]AULOC--qUOI[/video]

You listen to Rush!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fair enough, but I stand by what I said.
If we are to call the "original" version the first recorded version, then the credit goes to Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul on October 10, 1967.

Steve.

Yes, you didn't use the word "original," but you did use the word "version," so we may be arguing semantics. For clarification: The original would be the words put down on paper by Newbury. When it's recorded by Lewis, or Rogers, or Hill, it's their version of Newbury's song. An author, in this case Newbury, wrote a song, not a version of the song. Your words, "the Newbury version" is like saying the New Testament in the original Greek is a version of the King James Bible.

Let's agree that Newbury wrote it, and others subsequently recorded their versions of Newbury's song. Apparently only you and I are the only ones to care enough to hyperventilate about it anyway.

Steve.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great song - then, and now. Thanks for reminding us!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.