Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Video Doesn't Show Crime

Before we do, however, it’s also important to provide some tactical context, as it is within this context that the officers made their decision to use deadly force upon the non-compliant and knife-armed McDonald.

There is a sentiment being expressed “by some” that somehow there exists a great disparity in the lethality of a handgun and the lethality of a knife. In fact, at close quarters a knife is arguably a more lethal instrument than is a gun.

There has also been expressed the notion that because McDonald was not within arm’s reach of the police officers that he represented no imminent deadly threat. This notion is, of course, the result of ignorance.

I expect every police officer in the country has been taught a defensive doctrine called the Tueller Drill. The Tueller Drill was developed by Salt Lake City Police Officer Dennis Tueller, who among other things was a firearms instructor for his department.

Dennis trained uniformed police officers who were armed with pistols and who regularly encountered violent suspects armed with impact weapons, particularly knives.

He recognized that a knife wielder standing beside an officer could surely stab that officer before the officer could clear his pistol from his holster and engage the attacker with fired rounds.

Dennis also recognized, however, that at some greater distance an impact-weapon armed attacker would be too far to constitute an imminent threat to police officer. Absent an imminent threat, the officer would not be justified in using deadly force upon the attacker.

That begged the question, then, of what distance became the threshold at which an impact-weapon armed attacker did constitute an imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm such that the officer would be justified in using deadly force. Was that distance 5 feet? 10 feet? 15 feet?

Dennis knew a pretty good time for an officer to clear his weapon from his holster and strike a target with two center-mass rounds was about 1.5 seconds. Once that time is known, the question of interest becomes how great a distance an attacker armed with an impact weapon can cross in that same 1.5 seconds. Whatever that distance, the aggressor became an imminent threat for self-defense purposes once he crossed that threshold.

After running a great many empirical tests, Dennis found that the distance that an impact-weapon armed attacker could cross from a standing start in 1.5 seconds was not just 5 feet, or 10 feet, or 15 feet. Rather, such an aggressor could consistently cross a distance of 21 feet, a full 7 yards, in the 1.5 seconds it would take the typical officer to draw his holster and engage that aggressor with aimed fire.

That suggested that an aggressor armed with an impact weapon becomes an imminent deadly threat even when he was as far away as 21 feet–a distance that astonished even many experienced law enforcement officers.

So a man with a knife is a deadly threat when they get within 21 feet and this means that the officers shooting could very well be justified.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the officer in the vid already have his gun drawn? If so, that 21 foot rule doesn't apply.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He got out of his car with gun drawn.

As the perp is walking toward the squad car as it is pulling up, you can see him drawing his knife, unfolding it with a flick of his wrist (requires practice) and is holding it in a threatening manner. As the cop on the shotgun side opens his door and gets out you can see he has his gun drawn. One can opine he was probably telling the perp to either "drop the knife," or "get on the ground," or words to that effect. When the perp ignored his command, he was stopped from fleeing the scene with a deadly weapon and becoming a deadly threat to other innocents.

Case closed. Gene pool cleansed.

BTW, you won't hear Hannity or O'Reilly with this kind of politically incorrect analysis.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I hope I don't get within 21 feet of a cop because I always have a knife.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

As long as you don't brandish it, and then use it to puncture a tire on a Cop car, while being followed for half a mile by said Cops.

Curious thing to me is that Chicago Cops apparently don't carry tasers although it seems likely young Laquan there coulda just shrugged 'em off as he was that night.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cops' licenses to kill will be revoked if the sheeple ever figure out that the cops have no duty to protect them, and have a lot more latitude in protecting themselves, than us subjects have.

Liberals and other weaklings view the local cops as being representative of a mythical, all powerful, benign, "system" which somehow allows us to co-exist with our neighbors.

Promotion of this myth is perhaps the most successful propaganda campaign since Satan convinced a majority of folks that he doesn't exist.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, 7 yards is pretty close, so if you have a knife in your hand are acting like the guy was in a public place with civilians around and he tells you to DROP the knife and you don't, shoot till you drop...

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/26/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You had better not cross that 21 foot barrier at night, with lights flashing and guns drawn. What does it take to let a rational person to understand restraint, or you could get hurt or killed?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crime would come to a halt if 870's were traded in for German Shepards.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Cops' licenses to kill will be revoked if the sheeple ever figure out that the cops have no duty to protect them, and have a lot more latitude in protecting themselves, than us subjects have.

Liberals and other weaklings view the local cops as being representative of a mythical, all powerful, benign, "system" which somehow allows us to co-exist with our neighbors.

Promotion of this myth is perhaps the most successful propaganda campaign since Satan convinced a majority of folks that he doesn't exist.
Excellent post.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Cops have no duty to protect? How so as to the latter, we had (have) even more latitude in the armed forces, so what's your point?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Did the officer in the vid already have his gun drawn? If so, that 21 foot rule doesn't apply.

Where did you learn that?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Where did you learn that?
As I recall it, the 21 foot rule assumes a holstered sidearm, absent even hand on gun.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
what about the 15 shots he fired into a downed individual? i might be able to see the 1st one, but after that i'm thinking he was a little too into it.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What difference does it make how many times the cop shot him ?????????

I don't think he was hit but in arms, legs at first.

The cops will be in the fetal position.

Last edited by cisco1; 11/26/15.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it would make a difference to you if you were the one taking the rounds

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Tell me about that difference again. I don't see the difference.

When a cop tells you to drop the knife/ gun , and you don't.

You are shot once ( and killed) or shot 20 times and killed.

What difference does it make?

If I am on that jury…………………..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r

If the cop was justified in firing one round he was justified in firing 15.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by rem141r

If the cop was justified in firing one round he was justified in firing 15.
Why distinguish a cop in your statement. If it's a true statement, then it's a true statement about justified shootings, period, no?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hope I don't get within 21 feet of a cop because I always have a knife

in my hand with the blade open and I refuse to put it down even when a cop is aiming a pistol in my face and screaming "put it down put it down put it down put it down put it down put it down put it down !!!!!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.