Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
chas05 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My first trip I used one of my PH's rifles, which was fine, perfectly serviceable, however...It wasn't MY rifle, set up for me.

Anyhoo I'm headed back in May and would really like to take MY rifle. I'm flying Emirates to Joburg and SAA to PE

Information and advise would be much appreciated, including a frank ("use your PH's") if you think that.

Thanks
Charlie

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If all the airlines that you are flying have baggage handling agreements then you can check the rifle in at the starting airline, all the way through to Johannesburg.

Hire one of the meet and greet companies to get your gun permit pre-cleared in Johannesburg and then check it in at the domestic terminal for the flight to Port Elizabeth.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Check the airlines website. I can't speak for Emirates, but as of this past August, SAA was OK with firearms.

DO NOT USE BRITISH AIRWAYS!

They refused to transport my firearms from Joburg to Winkhoek, Namibia.

A real PITA and no refund from BA. Cost me over a grand.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Call Steve Turner @ Travel With Guns in San Antonio. He'll take care of everything.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am taking the same route in May Emirates to Joberg to Port A. Check the gun when you arrive at Emirates and the gun will go all the way thru to Joberg.

Did the same route last June and there was no problems.

I use Steve at travel with guns to book my flights.

If its your first time use the service to get you through all the gun permit process. We have done it enough we do it all ourselfs now especially the emirates route you stay the night in joberg so plenty of time.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guys have given you great advise. Use a rifle service such as Steve Turner, and I've also heard great things from Riflepermits.com
Using the rifle service, will cost you less/the same as the rental on your PH's rifle.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I used Riflepermits.com last year and everything went off without a hitch. I'll be using them again next Aug.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southpawhunter
I used Riflepermits.com last year and everything went off without a hitch. I'll be using them again next Aug.

There you go. He will also meet you at Johannesburg airport, and take you where you need to be, which will also stop some of the "locals" hounding you to show you the way in return for a tip.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A few other things regarding traveling with firearms in South Africa:

1. When I flew on SAA from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth, it was OK to have my ammo in my suitcase. On the way back they made me send the ammo to Johannesburg separately. Once I got to Johannesburg for my trip back via Air France, the ammo went in the suitcase again. Take a locking ammo container (mine is made by Pelican).

2. I noticed a progression in officialdom in South Africa asking for "tips" since my first trip there in 2005. They will separate you from your PH or meet and greet person under some pretense and then ask for a tip (I never gave them one). In Johannesburg they supposedly needed me to come back to identify my rifle case and then asked for a tip.

In Port Elizabeth, they waited until about 15 minutes to board, came and got me from the waiting area and told me they had "forgotten" to count my ammo. I went back to the SAPS office, opened my ammo case wherein were ammo boxes. They never opened even one box but took my word for it that they held 20 rounds each; then they asked for a tip.

3. There is another scam that goes on in some countries like South Africa and Mexico. They will mess up the paperwork which then sets the stage for someone else to get a tip for straightening it out. This happened to a friend I went with; they neglected to put his handgun on the permit and he was happy to pay to get it fixed in Port Elizabeth.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Regarding BA, BA will carry firearms. Comair which operates in Southern Africa under the BA logo and flight numbers does not carry firearms.

By the time you make all the airline payments, permit payments, service providers payments, its cheaper to hire the PH gun.

But I understand about taking YOUR gun. You pay good money to set up just like you want, no one wants to leave it at home collecting dust. That said, the State Department registration of guns exported is currently on hold. You don't know when they will reinstate that BS, at which point its just not worth being on a gun register list with the state department. Especially when Hillary comes looking for your stuff.

Tip scams are prevelant at many third world airports and some first world one too.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 11/26/15.
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just a quick note on using Steve Turner. His services go far beyond just the permitting. Coming home in May my guns were stolen. When I landed in okc I called Steve and text him a picture of my baggage claim ticket. His people in Namibia had my guns to me in 48 hours.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
African Sky Guesthouse took care of my rifle after I landed in Johannesburg

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
African Sky Guesthouse took care of my rifle after I landed in Johannesburg

Yip, another good option.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used Gracy Travel for my last African trip. They took care of trip reservations, meet and greet at the airport and all necessary paperwork. Everything went very smoothly- would definitely recommend them.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another option to consider:

I booked at Afton House and spent my first night there; wanted to sleep off the jet lag and experience Jo'Berg, also didn't want to be rushed through the airport and connecting flights. Afton House handled my permit and everything was smooth!!
They fed me a steak dinner (extra $25) and breakfast then got me to the airport and even met me on the return!! Definitely money well spent.

Just make sure you clarify that you'll spend the night there so my bags were checked through to Jo'Berg, not Port Elizabeth.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Call Steve Turner @ Travel With Guns in San Antonio. He'll take care of everything.

+1. I have used other services before to Joburg and they were OK. I used Steve in August for arrangements through Joburg to Zim and back and will definitely use TWG again, if I'm fortunate enough to go back to Africa. Personalized and highly responsive service. Preferred way to go IMHO.

TWG will arrange the meet & greet at Tambo, if you decide to use it - definitely worth the modest added cost.

BTW, take your rifle, even if you have to switch airlines. It adds significantly to the hunt experience, both during and after.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 11/27/15.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

C
chas05 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys, I've sent an email to TWG...This trip I'm going to use my rifle, try to slow down and savor the the hunt.

Charlie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chas05
Thanks guys, I've sent an email to TWG...This trip I'm going to use my rifle, try to slow down and savor the the hunt.

Charlie

Great choice on taking your own rifle Charlie!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Regarding BA, BA will carry firearms. Comair which operates in Southern Africa under the BA logo and flight numbers does not carry firearms.

By the time you make all the airline payments, permit payments, service providers payments, its cheaper to hire the PH gun.

Or look at outfitters that don't charge for loaners. Pieter Kriel has never charged me and I don't think JJ Hack does either. I have hunted on properties where the landowner has offered to let me use rifles that I could not have afforded to buy.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chas05

Charlie

Good man. I don't know about anyone else, but taking my game with MY rifle and MY handloaded ammunition meant a great deal to me. The amount of time and effort that went into the process of selecting the rifle I took, and the further time and effort I put into becoming proficient with it prior to traveling to Zimbabwe, was a rich and rewarding prelude to my hunt.

I've taken my rifle out of the safe several times in the months since my safari just to handle and hold it... doing so is a physical reminder, an almost talismanic connection to the hunt and to Africa. I might be weird in that way, but it means a lot to me. I expect you'll feel the same, or at least similarly, when you come back from your safari.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10ring1, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.