Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Airweight J frames are not always that easy to break.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?113852-Project-Break-my-J-frame

My wife carries a 642 and does just fine with it.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sportsmans Warehouse has Ruger LC9s on sale for $319.99
Black Friday sale.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a Smith 442 that was my wife's carry gun when we lived in Texas. Now, we live in Illinois which just recently passed a law allowing CC. I bought my wife a Glock 19. She's a good shot to begin with; she grew up around firearms and hunted every year with her dad. She shot the orange center out of a Shoot-N-See target at 7 yards when she first picked the pistol up and shot it. She shot over 200 rounds and maintained a high level of accuracy throughout the shooting session. She'll be carrying it in a purse designed for concealed carry. She hasn't decided which purse she wants, but the good thing about the purses is the gun rides in an internal holster, not bouncing around the interior of her purse collecting lint and other foreign matter. I look at the Glock 19 as a 15-round 9mm revolver; she just pulls it out and pulls the trigger until the threat is neutralized.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm late to this party but would like to give you a few suggestions. I've trained a couple hundred women over the last 24 years and trained all my girlfriends and wife. Several had to deploy their guns to save their butts.

If these ladies are really serious about CC and know nothing about guns, get them into a NRA Basic Pistol Couse and follow it up with a Personal Protection in the Home Course and maybe even the Personal Protection Outside the Home Course. These will give them the needed FOUNDATION that 99% of the shooters out there don't have.

As to guns, after taking the Basic Pistol Course they will have a better idea of what will work for them and then can take the two follow-up courses with their own guns. Some may like a semi-auto and some a revolver...there is no right answer for everyone, just the best answer for the individual... Your original reasoning however is spot-on...

I see a lot of comments about no one, especially new shooters, being able to hit anything with a snubbie... My belief is that they are not "practically practicing". Simply they put a pistol target out at 10-15 yards and blaze away at it...and they are then right, the snubbie is not right for that kind of target shooting. But if one is practicing for a defensive scenario a} why are they shooting at a bullseye target b} why is the target so far away if they haven't mastered the gun at 5 yards yet. Get a realistic human target, start at 3 yards and work out to 10...if you can keep all the shots in the kill zone then is the snubbie so hard to shoot...

Another not noted advantage of the revolver in regards to malfunctions is during a actual gunfight one may not be able to lockout real well. If one already lacks a lot of physical strength, limp wristing or an unlocked elbow will absorb enough of the slide inertia to cause a feeding malfunction...and the more "compact" that use even heavier springs the more it can happen. I had a female instructor who was the #1 womans bullseye shooter in the state who shot a compact 1911 .45. When she "practiced" there was never a problem, get into a blind scenario, the gun would short stoke quite often. She shot Modified Weaver, with a locked elbow...as soon as she would shoot with an unlocked elbow the gun would fail to cycle... Also many times women are in physical contact with an attacker. This again raises the possibility of a malfunction.

Practice for reality, not for fantasy.

Springs...magazine wise I have never replaced one. My two carry guns were made in 1952 and I use the original magazines...the springs are original. Unless a spring gets rusty or sustains physical damage it will continue to function just fine. Cycles not constant compression causes more wear to a spring.

Great that you are helping these ladies...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Daughter Amy packs a NAA Black Widow .22 Magnum. She likes the size and can hit pretty good with it. I was a little concerned about the NAA safe loading procedure. But she mastered that quickly.

My wife likes our S&W 317 Camp gun loaded with Stingers. I hate to mention Stingers since I've not seen any in gun stores for several years. Fortunately I was in a gun store when his shipment came in I bought both cases to insure my supply.

I seldom carry less than a 9mm but occasionally carry S&W 351 MP loaded with Hornady 45 grain short barrel loads.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'm looking pretty hard at G43, LC9s Pro (no external safety) and M&P shield with no ext safety.

You should add Kahr to that list.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife also has a background in LE. She was a University Police Officer @ Texas A&M for 3 years. She's had some good training over the years. She's no beginner and she definitely wanted the Glock as her carry gun. She shot the 442 fairly well. The sights on the 442 we had was a groove in the top strap and a small blade for a front sight. It was obvious precision shooting was not a priority when S&W designed the sights for that revolver.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.