Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Any time someone has to resort to name calling they are admitting they have run out of ammunition in the battle of wits.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by whelennut
Any time someone has to resort to name calling they are admitting they have run out of ammunition in the battle of wits.

When you gather some wits, you let me know.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. Shooting static line qualifications can be used to better your fundamentals of trigger control, sight picture, front sight, front sight, front sight, follow through. Unfortunately for officers who have their qualifications run that way I'd hazard a guess that most deadly force encounters are anything but static, but rather are ever-changing dynamic situations where decisions must be made in fractions of a second.

Shooting a blind course, where you have to clear a "house", and each time the arrangement of bad guys and victims is altered forces the shooter to find another unique solution to their deadly force encounter.

It bears repeating: when the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. If you weren't trained to deal with dynamic, fluid, ever-changing situations where you have to make split second decisions, you'll just stand there and get shot. If you didn't train to deal with a such a deadly force encounter you will do what you trained to do - nothing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

It bears repeating: when the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. If you weren't trained to deal with dynamic, fluid, ever-changing situations where you have to make split second decisions, you'll just stand there and get shot. If you didn't train to deal with a such a deadly force encounter you will do what you trained to do - nothing.
It's amazing, then, that so many armed Americans who aren't trained to a particularly high level, manage to come out on top against armed bad guys every year.

It's my opinion that the difference in practical "bad guy stopping ability" between the type of trained shooter you're referring to and your average weekend paper target shooter is small compared to the difference between your average weekend paper target shooter and the typical sock drawer handgun keeper, yet even the sock drawer handgun keepers rack up lots of victories against armed bad guys every year.

You can take the necessity for training to ridiculous extremes, in other words. Ninety percent of the gains in ability against armed criminals is acquired by just being familiar with your sidearm, being smooth and sure in your draw and fire, and a reasonable amount of range time per month shooting static targets with a serious state of mind. Being a regular attendee at Gunsite, etc., helps fill in the gap between 90% and 100%.

In other words, it becomes a matter of diminishing returns after a certain point. Not that there's anything wrong with it, and for those who put themselves in harm's way for a living, it's likely a prudent measure, but for all others, its benefits vs costs are questionable, apart from satisfying Walter Mitty type fantasies.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you carry a handgun and only are trained to shoot, or only practice shooting at close range, it's like taking flying lessons where they only teach you to take the plane off...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate……...

I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue...

I'm no candidate for mensa, but, slow witted as I may be, it seems that this whole discussion doesn't have anything to do with police officers responding to "shots fired" calls or squad leaders on a recon patrol in the desert. Neither does it have to do with whether you should be able to shoot in the dark, hit moving targets or practice at distance. A cursory glance at the text would seem to indicate that the instructor was talking to a CIVILIAN taking a CONCEALED CARRY CLASS about convincing a judge/jury that he was DEFENDING HIMSELF when he shot someone 50 yards away.

At 50 yards there is no disparity of force argument---the size, age, number, gender, etc. of the perp is irrelevant, as are threatening verbiage and movements. In fact for a concealed carrying civilian (not a responding officer or soldier on patrol)--a person at 50 yards only becomes a justifiably "shootable" threat if they are an active shooter that initiates the altercation (i.e. they shoot first). Taking into consideration the typical skill level of the typical civilian in the typical concealed carry class, when you add the pucker factor of taking incoming fire, they are for all practical purposes unarmed and represent a greater threat to innocent bystanders than they do the perp if they return fire. If you subscribe to Clint Smith's dictum that "every round you shoot has a lawyer attached to it," it's easy to see why an instructor would tell a class that shooting someone at that distance would be difficult to justify.

Should we be able to hit a target at 50 yards? Absolutely. Should we practice on moving targets in low light while we're moving? Absolutely. Is that the point being made by in the original post. I don't think so.

JMO--of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited by gmoats; 11/29/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Gmoats, no way does the 50 yard adversary have to fire first, all he has to do is demonstrate intent to fire and one is justified in defending ones self

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Gmoats, no way does the 50 yard adversary have to fire first, all he has to do is demonstrate intent to fire and one is justified in defending ones self

….at 50 yards "demonstrating intent" in most urban environments will be pretty hard to establish I'm guessing…..Out on the ranch, no problem…….on a crowded city street, different story…….if someone walks into a mall carrying a long gun, are you justified in shooting them??? Better not…….a few months ago, I friend of mine was in a Starbucks in Cheyenne. A guy walks in with a collapsible stock AK slung over his shoulder, ordered a cup of coffee and sat down……not sure where injudicious behavior ends and "demonstrating intent" starts…...of course, I could be wrong….

Last edited by gmoats; 11/29/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You're in a "duty to retreat" state and your ex-wife comes rolling up to your place and gets out of her car with a handgun yelling that she's going to kill you. You're standing beside your masonary construction house and can just step inside and close the solid hardwood door, slam the dead bolt and call the cops. Instead you take a rest and kill her dead relying on your uber bear shooting skills. Hopefully you've got some bear-grease left over from your last kill for Tyrese to use on your ass. You might be wishing Tyrese didn't have such a big meplat.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You're in a "duty to retreat" state and your ex-wife comes rolling up to your place and gets out of her car with a handgun yelling that she's going to kill you. You're standing beside your masonary construction house and can just step inside and close the solid hardwood door, slam the dead bolt and call the cops. Instead you take a rest and kill her dead relying on your uber bear shooting skills. Hopefully you've got some bear-grease left over from your last kill for Tyrese to use on your ass. You might be wishing Tyrese didn't have such a big meplat.

Interesting that you know Tyrese's preference

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Just guesswork. As you're so fond of saying, knowledge trumps it so I'll defer to you on the subject.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's no downside in being able and confident with a defensive handgun at 50 yards...or even further.

At the USMC's "High Risk Personnel" course, we did tons of shooting in all kinds of dynamic scenarios, near to far.

One of the things we did was 200 yards prone, with 9mm pistols. Yeah it's a low percentage shot, but you might at least be able to suppress an active shooter for a short time.

Different times nowadays, it's not just muggers in dark alleys anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the OP's info applies to his state and he wished to share it for the edification of fellow residents- fine, I get that.

If his 'instructor' is insinuating those restrictions apply everywhere or that one is never entitled to defense at further than spitting distance, he is full of schizzt as the proverbial Christmas goose. All it takes is one drunk or crazy fool with a .22 rifle or Grandpa's shotgun. If you think getting leaded down at 50-100 yards is preferable to being option of being able to use your handgun at those distances- then by all means be that duck in a shooting gallery.

Like Mr. Sagebrush, I can instances where morons were taking potshots at folks from what would be considered long range in defensive circles. Even had such an exchange myself late one night involving some drunk coon (I suppose) hunters some 200 yards away, where they had stopped along my creek to raise hell. My dogs heard the ruckus and woke me up. They had lit themselves up; I hadn't. I yelled, from behind a tree, that they were trespassing and to get moving along, Our brief exchange of words soon turned into cursing and threats, spiced with a barrage of what sounded like .22 semi-auto fire up the hill toward the sound of my voice. Four rounds of 30-30, directed into the hillside about 50 yards above them, resolved the matter w/o apparent bloodshed; or at least the deputy and I didn't find any blood among the dropped booze, .22 casings and garbage left in their wake. He seemed to find it all rather humorous and mentioned to me later that is was the talk of bars and coffee shops for several weeks.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Just guesswork. As you're so fond of saying, knowledge trumps it so I'll defer to you on the subject.

It makes sense after seeing a few photos that GREASE would be your pick.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gmoats
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate……...

I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue...

I'm no candidate for mensa, but, slow witted as I may be, it seems that this whole discussion doesn't have anything to do with police officers responding to "shots fired" calls or squad leaders on a recon patrol in the desert. Neither does it have to do with whether you should be able to shoot in the dark, hit moving targets or practice at distance. A cursory glance at the text would seem to indicate that the instructor was talking to a CIVILIAN taking a CONCEALED CARRY CLASS about convincing a judge/jury that he was DEFENDING HIMSELF when he shot someone 50 yards away.

At 50 yards there is no disparity of force argument---the size, age, number, gender, etc. of the perp is irrelevant, as are threatening verbiage and movements. In fact for a concealed carrying civilian (not a responding officer or soldier on patrol)--a person at 50 yards only becomes a justifiably "shootable" threat if they are an active shooter that initiates the altercation (i.e. they shoot first). Taking into consideration the typical skill level of the typical civilian in the typical concealed carry class, when you add the pucker factor of taking incoming fire, they are for all practical purposes unarmed and represent a greater threat to innocent bystanders than they do the perp if they return fire. If you subscribe to Clint Smith's dictum that "every round you shoot has a lawyer attached to it," it's easy to see why an instructor would tell a class that shooting someone at that distance would be difficult to justify.

Should we be able to hit a target at 50 yards? Absolutely. Should we practice on moving targets in low light while we're moving? Absolutely. Is that the point being made by in the original post. I don't think so.

JMO--of course, I could be wrong.

Thank you! You seem to be the only person who understands the point I was trying to make.
Most shootings take place at 7 yards or less.
(Not 50yds.)
Also a civilian normally cannot act like an infantry soldier. We may have to explain ourselves to a judge. There is a case I heard about where a Chicago cop could get life in prison for shooting a kid with a knife. I can only imagine the consequences if a judge in Minnesota decided that
there was a chance to leave the situation but instead stayed to have a gun battle from 50 yds away. We would end up with free room and board for a long time.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rich girls use Vasolene,
Poor girls use lard,
My girl uses axle grease,
and takes it twice as hard. wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A lot of these 'active shooter' situations in public places like shopping areas, malls, theaters, restaurants, schools, workplace, etc, etc, have 'terrain' that could easily put you in a defensive situation at a distances well beyond 7 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A lot of these 'active shooter' situations in public places like shopping areas, malls, theaters, restaurants, schools, workplace, etc, etc, have 'terrain' that could easily put you in a defensive situation at a distances well beyond 7 yards.
Not everybody is a soldier, cop or gamer and gets to train and practice constantly. Given that fact, practicing the most likely scenario is probably the best. The most likely scenario is a defensive shooting at very close range. No doubt that practice can be augmented by longer range shooting/different scenarios if there is opportunity. As to whether or not a given shooting is defensible in court, it would all depend on what happened, but there are possibilities in both realms.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
MM,
I will leave those scenarios to the Soldiers of Fortune on the forum.
I will only fire as a last resort. I don't think I would enjoy prison life.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't train much these days either. But even if I'm only going to shoot 50 rounds, I'll shoot 40 doing close range drills, and 10 of them at some distance.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.