-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
when i moved to where i live now in 1997 i became friends with the old guy that lived next to me. he was 69 when i met him. we both loved to deer hunt and he let me hunt on his property and often would put on one man drives for me and push deer thru the woods to me. he helped me kill a few good bucks.he would go over to where some of his kin folks lived across the blue ridge and almost always brought home a deer .many years he'd kill 2 in a days hunt.

last year was the first year he hadn't killed any deer in 50 years or more. at 86 he just didn't go. i stopped buy his house on tuesday and the first thing he asked was ,how many deer you kills son?. i showed him the pics on my phone of the bucks i had killed. i then asked him if he'd been hunting any and he said he had road back on his farm one day and had seen coyotes but no deer. i told him i had seen a few nice bucks crossing the roads going into his property. well, i headed home and he couldn't stand it he had to get his remington 1100 out and ride back look for deer.2 hours later he called me and asked me to come down and look at the big buck he'd just killed. he road back the powerline that crossed his property and spotted a doe bedded on the edge of the powerline.he said as soon as he opened the truck door the buck ran out in the open and he dropped him in his tracks. the old man can still shoot that 1100.

i went down to his house and he had the deer on the truck. we unloaded it and hung it up in his garage to cool.at 87 he was as happy as a kid with his first deer.
congrats to my buddy jullian! [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NICE!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
when i moved to where i live now in 1997 i became friends with the old guy that lived next to me. he was 69 when i met him. we both loved to deer hunt and he let me hunt on his property and often would put on one man drives for me and push deer thru the woods to me. he helped me kill a few good bucks.he would go over to where some of his kin folks lived across the blue ridge and almost always brought home a deer .many years he'd kill 2 in a days hunt.

last year was the first year he hadn't killed any deer in 50 years or more. at 86 he just didn't go. i stopped buy his house on tuesday and the first thing he asked was ,how many deer you kills son?. i showed him the pics on my phone of the bucks i had killed. i then asked him if he'd been hunting any and he said he had road back on his farm one day and had seen coyotes but no deer. i told him i had seen a few nice bucks crossing the roads going into his property. well, i headed home and he couldn't stand it he had to get his remington 1100 out and ride back look for deer.2 hours later he called me and asked me to come down and look at the big buck he'd just killed. he road back the powerline that crossed his property and spotted a doe bedded on the edge of the powerline.he said as soon as he opened the truck door the buck ran out in the open and he dropped him in his tracks. the old man can still shoot that 1100.

i went down to his house and he had the deer on the truck. we unloaded it and hung it up in his garage to cool.at 87 he was as happy as a kid with his first deer.
congrats to my buddy jullian! [Linked Image]

Wonderful story. When you started out I thought the ending was going to be quite different. Listen intently to that 86 year old gentleman. You just might learn a ton. Congratulations to him and thanks to you for posting.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Nice for both of ya.

They'll be great memories !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool story. I hope he gets another one next year.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is AWESOME!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell him nice job. I hope im still getting it done at 56 let alone 86. This kinda stuff makes my day.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and thanks for posting. Man, we've just gotta keep the old guns in the woods! Great to hear he got out and filled his tag.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice story, I like LBK thought it would end differently, so glad it didn't. Good for him!! You also, good friends do not come that often. Cherish it!

Now, good picture and very good buck!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Great job! Glad that Mr. Julian is still out getting the job done. Very nice buck.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice story Steve. We all should be so lucky to be hunting at 87.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff - happy for him!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks guys. he's been kinda like a second dad to me every sense my dad passed in 2004.he told me yesterday he wanted me to 'put them horns on a board' for him just like i did the last couple he killed. i'll be happy to do that for him.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Really good story !
Glad you posted it

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
NICE! I hope I'm still able to hunt at that age.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to Mr. Julian!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 66 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,439
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.