Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Is there any real issue knocking things down with the 28? I'm speaking strictly upland and dove. Sharps and pheasant mostly.

I kinda find it hard to believe there is any reason to go 28 vs the 20 gauge. But a Benelli Ultra Light is kinda tempting.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually the 28 is billed as being extremely efficient...how that is measured on a shotgun I can't say, but Mule Deer can.

The 28 was Bing Crosby's favorite for pheasant...if that helps any....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He tried to explain it to me one day, but my brain was full.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, I have a Rem.870 28 ga. It has a 25 inch barrel and carries like a dream.. I have shot some sage grouse with it and killed them stone dead at 40 yards.. But only a few.. I really like it for forest grouse.. Never tried it on sharps or pheasants.. Not much opportunity for sharps here, and I must travel to do much pheasant hunting.. I really think if you live where both birds are available, you would enjoy it.. Especially, after you have taken some birds and the edge is off to be successful.. Or take it a long in the truck, and carry it when the cover looks like closer shots will be the order of the day..
I am basically a 12 ga. guy, I like the smaller ga. shotguns, but just have never been able to let the 12's at home.. I think you would enjoy the 28, and it is an excellent reason to pick one up..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with the 20 and the 28 over pointers and could not discern the difference between the 1oz 20 load or a 7/8 to 1oz load in the 28, nor a difference in effective range.

Plus if a 28 is built on the proper frame its like carrying Tinker Bell's wand compared to the larger gauges.

On doves--perfection.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't see the point,at least not in a modern auto when 20's handle and carry so well.

A Benelli ultralight 20 is already to light for me.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 11/29/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Warning: 28s are like fine whisky, long legs and cigars rolled on virgin thighs.

My first was in 1981 (Steyer-Mannlicher Principessa sxs). We were living in Scobey, MT, so shot a short tonne of sharpies with it. I also shot, I have no idea how many, huns with it. Scobey is not big pheasant country but I shot more than a few with it. I ran Brittannies and shot over a lot of points.

The deadliness of the 28 will astound you. The most interesting part, to me is that one does not need to resort to charges larger than 3/4 oz. The load is what is called "square". Somehow that means it is perfectly in proportion. It flat works. Get one and it will kill birds so dead even Clark will not be able to revive them. Good For You!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
28s shoot the same size pellets the same speed as the bigger gauges, just less of them. As with any shotgun, fit and even patterns are more important than shear number of pellets in the air. If you aren't able to center birds in the pattern due to gun fit or some other reason you will have more cripples than with the bigger guns. But center them in the pattern and watch your bag fill up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting with a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga for over the last 20 years as my go to shotgun for doves here in TX. I kill birds just as far as my buddies who are all using a 12ga. I've also used it with great success on Pheasant. It's my favorite gauge by far.

Travis, I too having been drooling on the Benelli Ultralight in 28 ga. The only thing that has prevented me from buying one is the price. eek

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/29/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The allure of the 28ga is the shotguns you can get them in. Light, quick and alive, unlike some of the larger options.

If there is any magic in the 28 it would be with good loads most of the shot arrives on target at the same time with little stringing. With todays modern shot shells there isn't any magic in the square loads. The other gauges are much the same with good loads that don't over-stuff the case. A 28 will never be a 20, 16 or 12 when it comes to efficiency with good shells. Someone did a study and came to the conclusion it takes 8 pellets or so to bring down most upland Birds. 7/8ounce will do it easily if you point well.

The 28 will beat most of them when it comes to handling in O/U's and SxS's. Not so much with today's modern auto-loaders.

There is less recoil and that is never a bad thing.

Last edited by battue; 11/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've been hunting with a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga for over the last 20 years as my go to shotgun for doves here in TX. I kill birds just as far as my buddies who are all using a 12ga. I've also used it with great success on Pheasant. It's my favorite gauge by far.

Travis, I too having been drooling on the Benelli Ultralight in 28 ga. The only thing that has prevented me from buying one is the price. eek

Be sure you first handle one for the ergo's. I just bought one and the "pistol grip" is much too closed for me maybe especially because my SxSs have English grips.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, I have a Rem.870 28 ga. It has a 25 inch barrel and carries like a dream.. I have shot some sage grouse with it and killed them stone dead at 40 yards.. But only a few.. I really like it for forest grouse.. Never tried it on sharps or pheasants.. Not much opportunity for sharps here, and I must travel to do much pheasant hunting.. I really think if you live where both birds are available, you would enjoy it.. Especially, after you have taken some birds and the edge is off to be successful.. Or take it a long in the truck, and carry it when the cover looks like closer shots will be the order of the day..
I am basically a 12 ga. guy, I like the smaller ga. shotguns, but just have never been able to let the 12's at home.. I think you would enjoy the 28, and it is an excellent reason to pick one up..

Thanks WCH.

Seems like a minor a bit of weight savings coupled with less recoil.

Do they recoil less compared to the 20? Or is the difference negligible?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with the 20 and the 28 over pointers and could not discern the difference between the 1oz 20 load or a 7/8 to 1oz load in the 28, nor a difference in effective range.

Plus if a 28 is built on the proper frame its like carrying Tinker Bell's wand compared to the larger gauges.

On doves--perfection.

Would you consider the Benellis a "proper frame?"

And when you say you can't discern the difference, are you referring to effectiveness on birds or felt recoil?

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I don't see the point,at least not in a modern auto when 20's handle and carry so well.

A Benelli ultralight 20 is already to light for me.

I don't think I could ever consider an upland gun "too light" but I am also thinking the 28 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify bothering with a 28.

But if I'm wrong in this thinking I may try a 28.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Warning: 28s are like fine whisky, long legs and cigars rolled on virgin thighs.

My first was in 1981 (Steyer-Mannlicher Principessa sxs). We were living in Scobey, MT, so shot a short tonne of sharpies with it. I also shot, I have no idea how many, huns with it. Scobey is not big pheasant country but I shot more than a few with it. I ran Brittannies and shot over a lot of points.

The deadliness of the 28 will astound you. The most interesting part, to me is that one does not need to resort to charges larger than 3/4 oz. The load is what is called "square". Somehow that means it is perfectly in proportion. It flat works. Get one and it will kill birds so dead even Clark will not be able to revive them. Good For You!

Hmmmm..... I may have to do this.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I will only live this life once. Fugk cost.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Be sure you first handle one for the ergo's. I just bought one and the "pistol grip" is much too closed for me maybe especially because my SxSs have English grips.

On the Benellis?

You trippin'.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
Actually the 28 is billed as being extremely efficient...how that is measured on a shotgun I can't say, but Mule Deer can.

The 28 was Bing Crosby's favorite for pheasant...if that helps any....

I didn't even know Bill Cosby was a bird hunter.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Then treat yourself to one of the nicest without going O/U or SxS.
Made in America. You know what I mean. grin The chrome one doesn't trip my trigger, the blue one does.

http://ithacagun.com/28gauge.php

laissez les bons temps rouler
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Then treat yourself to one of the nicest without going O/U or SxS.
Made in America. You know what I mean. grin The chrome one doesn't trip my trigger, the blue one does.

http://ithacagun.com/28gauge.php

Thank you for the information but no thank you.....

Clark

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.