Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you are a great shot and the gun fits you the 28 will work.

I know I need the 12 to kill consistently and still do not center the bird every time.

I love the 16 but cant find shells everywhere at a good price, so I shoot the 20 more if I want less gun.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understand completely. Doubt if a 28 will disappoint, but eventually we all need to find these things out on our own. Good luck in doing so.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with the 20 and the 28 over pointers and could not discern the difference between the 1oz 20 load or a 7/8 to 1oz load in the 28, nor a difference in effective range.

Plus if a 28 is built on the proper frame its like carrying Tinker Bell's wand compared to the larger gauges.

On doves--perfection.

Would you consider the Benellis a "proper frame?"

And when you say you can't discern the difference, are you referring to effectiveness on birds or felt recoil?

Travis

Yes, seems the Europeans have a better sense of proportion.

I could not tell a difference in effectiveness thirty-five yards and under and as to recoil I'd say my 5.5 lb AyA 28 still kicks a bit less than my 5.75 lb Beretta 471 20. Very subjective but that's my experience.

Beretta's A400 28 is very, very sweet also but now you have a gas system instead of Ben's inertia system. Amd they cost more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've been hunting with a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga for over the last 20 years as my go to shotgun for doves here in TX. I kill birds just as far as my buddies who are all using a 12ga. I've also used it with great success on Pheasant. It's my favorite gauge by far.

Travis, I too having been drooling on the Benelli Ultralight in 28 ga. The only thing that has prevented me from buying one is the price. eek

Be sure you first handle one for the ergo's. I just bought one and the "pistol grip" is much too closed for me maybe especially because my SxSs have English grips.

On the Benellis?

You trippin'.

Travis

I don't think so. The pistol grip is too closed for my carry style forcing me to reach for the safety; it's ok at the shot.

I hope it's just a matter of getting used to it. My SxSs have straight or English grips and that is what I'm used to.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Twenty years ago, when my mother knew she was leaving this life, she decided to buy her kids, each, something to remember her by, as if forgetting mom was possible. She bought me an AyA #2 in 28.

It's special, to say the least.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there any real issue knocking things down with the 28? I'm speaking strictly upland and dove. Sharps and pheasant mostly.

I kinda find it hard to believe there is any reason to go 28 vs the 20 gauge. But a Benelli Ultra Light is kinda tempting.

Travis

Are you just considering shell shuckers or would you consider an O/U or SxS? You're doubling up on cost over an expensive semi-auto but a new little AyA 4/53 box lock in 28, for example, is plain but exudes quality and is well under 6 lbs. ~ $2800. Of course you can shop for used also. I've never regretted buying mine.

And there are O/Us well under that price I believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Twenty years ago, when my mother knew she was leaving this life, she decided to buy her kids, each, something to remember her by, as if forgetting mom was possible. She bought me an AyA #2 in 28.

It's special, to say the least.

Those are just sweet!!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, I think the thing I like about my 28 is the very light weight and small frame.. I have a couple 20's in the model.. I like them very much, and shoot them a bit.. When I first got the 28 probably 10+ years ago, I shot it a great when I first got it.. Killed lots of birds.. One thing I think must be kept in mind is lots of folks hunt over pointers.. They get fairly close shots if they are like the pointers I have hunted over.

I think you have a lab, I have goldens.. Since they do not point, my shots tend to be longer than a hunter with pointers. At least I would think so.. Often my birds are getting up at the distance these guys are shooting their birds.. So usually I opt for a bit more gun..

But I think you would truly enjoy the 28 what ever model you choose.. It is a great little ga. and a joy to hunt with anc shoot..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Along the lines of what George is saying, my wife has an Ugartechea non- ejector boxlock in 28. I had the stock bent with a bit of cast-on as she is a lefty. That gun is a delight in the hands and points like a best grade gun. If I wanted to try a true 28, that is what I would do. They are very well made and can be picked up on the used market more reasonable than anything close, for the shooting dynamics - that is, to get the full 28 experience.

Further, these guns are not difficult to get to fit with just a minor bend or so, unless you require something extraordinary. The combination of a true 28 gun and a dynamic fit is a genuine delight. Many sharptails have succumbed to heart failure, just thinking about it.

Soli Deo Gloria

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Yes, seems the Europeans have a better sense of proportion.

Europeans don't have a better sense of anything.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I don't think so. The pistol grip is too closed for my carry style forcing me to reach for the safety; it's ok at the shot.

I hope it's just a matter of getting used to it. My SxSs have straight or English grips and that is what I'm used to.

George,

I have not used or hunted with a straight grip but I would think they could spoil a guy. They make sense IMO.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Are you just considering shell shuckers or would you consider an O/U or SxS? You're doubling up on cost over an expensive semi-auto but a new little AyA 4/53 box lock in 28, for example, is plain but exudes quality and is well under 6 lbs. ~ $2800. Of course you can shop for used also. I've never regretted buying mine.

And there are O/Us well under that price I believe.

I'm speaking to Benelli 20 gauge vs the 28 gauge.

I have used double but grown to despise them.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, I think the thing I like about my 28 is the very light weight and small frame.. I have a couple 20's in the model.. I like them very much, and shoot them a bit.. When I first got the 28 probably 10+ years ago, I shot it a great when I first got it.. Killed lots of birds.. One thing I think must be kept in mind is lots of folks hunt over pointers.. They get fairly close shots if they are like the pointers I have hunted over.

I think you have a lab, I have goldens.. Since they do not point, my shots tend to be longer than a hunter with pointers. At least I would think so.. Often my birds are getting up at the distance these guys are shooting their birds.. So usually I opt for a bit more gun..

But I think you would truly enjoy the 28 what ever model you choose.. It is a great little ga. and a joy to hunt with anc shoot..

You are correct. Lab and no pointers.

I think this comes down to a 20 vs 28 thing but only when speaking to the Benelli Ultra light.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the Benelli Monte was available in a 28 but don't see it on their website now. Just the Legacy and the Ultralight at about 2k and $1800 respectively but that's not street price necessarily.

Both are near five pounds and that is really nice! I have no use for heavy shotguns in the type of hunting I do.

Edit: just my thinking but if you are keeping your M2 (12 ga, no?), I'd go 28 over 20. You'll spend a bit more for shot shells but we've all probably spent coin more foolishly than that.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/29/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
28s reload cheap.

Soli Deo Gloria

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I've used the 28 quite a bit over the last 15 years or so, and it works fine for 90% of bird hunting. Have never had any problem killing sharptails and wild roosters out to 40 yards with the right choke and load, and have killed big sage grouse out to 47.

Yes, the 20 will do anything the 28 will ballistically, but the problem with most American 20's is they're too big and clunky, because they're chambered for 3" magnums. As a result they're not much different than 12's used to be before the 3" 20-gauge became the In Thing, usually weighing around 7 pounds.

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by old farts like me, and kills stuff fine.

I did an article on why the 28 works so well a few years ago for HANDLOADER, which looked at all the myths and misconceptions. Factory loads will do it all, but handloading is easy and makes the 28 even more versatile.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by [/b]old farts like me[b]and kills stuff fine.

I was trying to not be so descriptive as to why I like light shotguns. 😉

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by [/b]old farts like me[b]and kills stuff fine.

I was trying to not be so descriptive as to why I like light shotguns. 😉

laugh

Well, it is what it is... smile

I like this one, a Merkel that handles great. Light, but not too light, just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My Fausti is the first super-light 28 I've tried that swings nicely for me, probably because of the 28" barrels. It's also the first single-trigger double I've owned with a trigger that refuses to fail--at least so far, and it shot the hell out of it before writing the check, one of the advantages of being a gun writer. (Other than shooting a bunch of guns and animals, traveling here and there, plus a lot of free ammo, the profession sucks.)

Oh, and it has a straight grip.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer, Just curious: how have you had single trigger guns fail?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.