Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks.

I'd like to say one final thing on this thread if I may....

You and a few others here I'm sure are excellent at what you do. That is inarguable. I can't play in your world, so maybe my lack of execution/long term experience (I'm a piddler) in this arena results in me being unable to fathom how you guys can consistently do what you do.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So a 300 yard front right hoof shot that necessitates a tracking job of over an hour and a finishing shot is good?

[Linked Image]

fuqking amazing

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not at all. It's no skin off my back how someone hunts or shoots. What I find amusing here is that the general consensus seems to be that you buy a 6.5 Creedmore, etc, a SS mil quad, good rangefinder, and then you commence SWAG'ing it long range at live animals. I find that laughable, especially considering the guys I've seen shoot.

Just possibly...in the final analysis this forum should be entitled Long Range Shooting!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's still hunting. Some of the shooting is just not up to your standard. blush By the way, good thread.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
This is one of the reasons MOA has an edge over Mils.

So you memorize your drop numbers and calculate drift in your head?

Are you spinning turrets or using the reticle?

No. grin

Big boys have custom DCTs marked in ranges and Directly Dial Range and hold wind.

Just because it works. laugh

Had to hold lead on this moving bull but the technique is similar at 550yds.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What I find amusing here is that the general consensus seems to be that you buy a 6.5 Creedmore, etc, a SS mil quad, good rangefinder, and then you commence SWAG'ing it long range at live animals. I find that laughable....

I find it laughable too, since I can't recall reading one person say that, much less a "consensus."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd like to say one final thing on this thread if I may....

You and a few others here I'm sure are excellent at what you do. That is inarguable. I can't play in your world, so maybe my lack of execution/long term experience (I'm a piddler) in this arena results in me being unable to fathom how you guys can consistently do what you do.

Wow.... that's a Democrat style back-pedal if I've ever seen one. I love the "I can't, so you shouldn't" line of reasoning.... with a side of "everybody says"....

You guys are right.... it's tough to define 'limits'.... or shots someone should/shouldn't take. But it's pretty easy to know your own limits based on actual shooting.... unless you don't actually shoot.... easy to cypher who's who in this thread.

JB..... Direct dialing a DTC never works..... Stick told me.... laffin...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
This is one of the reasons MOA has an edge over Mils.

So you memorize your drop numbers and calculate drift in your head?

Are you spinning turrets or using the reticle?

No. grin

Big boys have custom DCTs marked in ranges and Directly Dial Range and hold wind.

Just because it works. laugh

Had to hold lead on this moving bull but the technique is similar at 550yds.

It sounds to me based on what you described, you use a rangefinder and dial for elevation, and calculate windage in your head and hold based on the rule of thumb MOA values stated earlier.

And this is preferred over a drop/wind chart plus rangefinder, and if so, why?

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He also has wind on the turret.... same as you would a "drop chart". It's a good system.... I used the rifle he has pictured to make a first round hit at 600 in a 25-30 mph wind. I spun the turret to "6" (600yds), above the large 6 was a smaller "2", indicating 2 MOA in a 10mph wind. I tripled the 2 MOA because of the wind speed.... held 6 MOA using the reticle.... and pounded the 12" plate.

Only difference between a DCT and your primary drop chart.... is where it's at on your gun.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
. Only difference between a DCT and your primary drop chart.... is where it's at on your gun.

That, and it's a whole lot easier to print a new drop chart if you go from sea level to 10,000 feet. Or change bullets.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
What I find amusing here is that the general consensus seems to be that you buy a 6.5 Creedmore, etc, a SS mil quad, good rangefinder, and then you commence SWAG'ing it long range at live animals. I find that laughable....

I find it laughable too, since I can't recall reading one person say that, much less a "consensus."

Read it here, first..... AND....
Laugh alls you want, muddafubbah's......That's exactly what I did. Bought a rangefinder, a 6.5 creed, mounted a scope and commenced to SWAG'ing it at live aminals. And, hey, it worked! 585 yd first round hit on a coyote. With a witness, to boot. See, 'I' AM the 'consensus'. You can now call me the 'General'. General Consensus.........grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SALLLLLLUUUUUUTE!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Laugh alls you want, muddafubbah's......That's exactly what I did. Bought a rangefinder, a 6.5 creed, mounted a scope and commenced to SWAG'ing it at live aminals. And, hey, it worked! 585 yd first round hit on a coyote. With a witness, to boot. See, 'I' AM the 'consensus'. You can now call me the 'General'. General Consensus.........grin

[Linked Image]

Good shootin' Don. Come to think of it, you're right and I've done the same thing out at your place with prairie dogs. Although I can't recall whether the shot was just to the left of your 600 yard gong, or to the right?

And was that coyote pic before or after you hit the 1900-yard steel up in MT with Apollo?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
. Only difference between a DCT and your primary drop chart.... is where it's at on your gun.

That, and it's a whole lot easier to print a new drop chart if you go from sea level to 10,000 feet. Or change bullets.

We both actually hunted at both those elevations this year.... so that's a good question.

My DCT is set-up for 5000' asl.... right between the extremes. The difference at 600 yards between 0' and 5000' is only +.2 mil..... same goes for the delta at 10k (-.2 Mils). By simply adding/subtracting .1 mil per 250 yards or so.... you'll be right in the wheelhouse.

Em's rifle shoots 123 Amax and 130 Accubonds to the same basic POI (+/- 1/2") out to 500 using the same zero and same DCT.

It's still the easiest and fastest system I've seen. If you like to Dick-around with a bunch of bullets in the same gun.... then a notebook full of drop charts is probably necessary. If you pick a load, and shoot the schitt out of it.... it's a pretty solid system.

You ever try it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope. Not knocking it, just making an observation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
before

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Cheater.
Doesn't count, you used sticks.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't see any wind in that photo either.

And far be it from me to say Don would ever exaggerate about anything, but he is the only guy I know with a 700+ yard range in his front yard instead of out back.

Last edited by smokepole; 11/29/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
It sounds to me based on what you described, you use a rangefinder and dial for elevation, and calculate windage in your head and hold based on the rule of thumb MOA values stated earlier.

And this is preferred over a drop/wind chart plus rangefinder, and if so, why?

I stick the first drop chart with wind on the turret. Some one asked for a simple wind formula and I also provided that.

Pro Tip:

Stick your chart on your turret and "profit". grin

JB..... Direct dialing a DTC never works..... Stick told me.... laffin...

He said I was a big dummy so he is batting 50% or so. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
So a 300 yard front right hoof shot that necessitates a tracking job of over an hour and a finishing shot is good?
[Linked Image]
fuqking amazing

All's well that ends well???????? laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
[Linked Image]
fuqking amazing

All's well that ends well???????? laugh

LOL

I'm thinking ole jgraider needs to spend some time at the range. I found another of his that seems to have an impact on the right rear "quarter panel".

shocked

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.