BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe I should say:

"Shooting is the easy part to practice.

The decision to shoot is the hard part to practice"

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is another argument over relatively nothing. A person should practice at a lot of varying distances if they have time. I don't think anybody with any sense is going to practice seriously for self-defense by spending a huge amount of time practicing at-distance unless they have a lot of time and ammo and/or have mastered close range shooting. IME and from most of the stuff I've read over the years, that's where TRAINING comes into play because one tends to lose a step if they don't practice regularly (in this case, at close range). I wouldn't purport to be experienced enough to know whether there are guys who can quit training much after mastery though, and continue to shoot well at close range while spending all their time training at longer ranges. Maybe there are.

On the court part of it, there are a whole lot of variables. Just a lot of scenarios here. I don't consider myself, as Jan Libourel used to say, "The Master Gunfighter", nor am I out to kill somebody just because I can or even because I can legally. If somebody is shooting at me from fifty yards and I can get behind cover and further assess the situation in a safer manner than shooting back AND there is no other innocent person at risk, then I am going to duck behind cover and do what is called for next. If some jaybird is shooting at me from fifty yards and the conditions warrant it, then I'm gonna shoot back and hope I shot enough at that distance that I get him before he gets me.

I don't think there's really a lot of room for argument in that assessment.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by jwp475

Gmoats, no way does the 50 yard adversary have to fire first, all he has to do is demonstrate intent to fire and one is justified in defending ones self

….at 50 yards "demonstrating intent" in most urban environments will be pretty hard to establish I'm guessing…..Out on the ranch, no problem…….on a crowded city street, different story…….if someone walks into a mall carrying a long gun, are you justified in shooting them??? Better not…….a few months ago, I friend of mine was in a Starbucks in Cheyenne. A guy walks in with a collapsible stock AK slung over his shoulder, ordered a cup of coffee and sat down……not sure where injudicious behavior ends and "demonstrating intent" starts…...of course, I could be wrong….

I'd say your guessing wrong. Some points a gun in my direction in an urban setting in a shooting position seems to make intent rather clear.

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

The range was about 50 yards on a city street if memory serves.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If 50 is too far, at what distance should we be accurate? 3, 5, 7?

I feel like some Dot Torture is in order!
Hey, if you're in the luxurious position of having tons of ammo provided at someone else's expense, and tons of range time, you can do it all, baby. If, however, one must, as is the case with most of us mere mortals, restrict himself to say a hundred rounds a week, and say one hour a week of live trigger time, it's likely better spent focusing on the most likely self defends scenarios.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of folks hung up on cities. I don't live in one, I'm seldom in one.

If something is going to happen the odds are it will happen where a person spends 99% of their time and that time is spent at home.

50 yard shots defend are more than likely and I ain't worried about backstops.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunGeek

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

Either that story is part of an incredible imagination, or they encountered the stupidest DA on the planet.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There was a time when police actually had to qualify with a 50 yard course of fire. But then, there was a time when most gun writers actually fired groups with their hands at ranges beyond "combat" distances to test both the metals mettle and their own.

Then there was the Air Force Security Forces patrolman who brought down a deranged killer at 75 yards with his M9.

I killed a groundhog with a 2" Model 10 at a hair over 50 yards as well. But I cheated. I leaned across the hood of my car.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
There was a time when police actually had to qualify with a 50 yard course of fire.

I'd have to check to confirm it's still the case, but I believe NHF&G still does.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Maybe I should say:

"Shooting is the easy part to practice.

The decision to shoot is the hard part to practice"

I would not lol at that, not even lower case.

I would even say that shooting isn't complicated, decision making is. Not to correct, but to contribute.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Hey, if you're in the luxurious position of having tons of ammo provided at someone else's expense, and tons of range time, you can do it all, baby. If, however, one must, as is the case with most of us mere mortals, restrict himself to say a hundred rounds a week, and say one hour a week of live trigger time, it's likely better spent focusing on the most likely self defends scenarios.

So, is that a maybe that you'll shoot it? What I'm hearing is that there's a chance....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Based on his parameters he should be able to shoot it twice......

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

He stops at 50 yards to get into his green truck.

What do you do?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

So, is that a maybe that you'll shoot it? What I'm hearing is that there's a chance....
The form of your question is confusing, and seems cryptic in meaning. Could you make it less so?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

The form of your question is confusing, and seems cryptic in meaning. Could you make it less so?

Here......you're whining about having one hour and 100 rounds to work with. This course of fire meets your parameters..... He's wondering if you're actually going to shoot or continue to talk. I know where my money is.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Bluedreaux][quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]
Here......you're whining about having one hour and 100 rounds to work with. This course of fire meets your parameters..... He's wondering if you're actually going to shoot or continue to talk. I know where my money is.....
I was whining??

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would you not agree that it's easier to practice and train if somebody not only pays for the ammo, but provides a place to do so, possibly an instructor to train you, and probably pays you for doing it?

The average guy shoots because he likes to, but has to pay for a place to do so, buy his own ammo (and firearms), pay for instruction and do it on his own time not while getting paid to do so.

Do you see any difference here in why, how, etc. regular folks train as opposed to LE? Many here like to knock guys who haven't taken a half-dozen nationally-known courses and who don't "train" every day inclusive of at distances that would make Elmer Keith cringe in shock and awe. There are differences though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None of which has anything to do with a slow fire, 50 round drill at 3 yards that lasts 15 minutes.

Instead of just shooting the drill or just shrugging and thinking "I don't want to", people start talking about why they can't shoot-why other people shoot more. Lots of typing, not much shooting.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.