Print Thread
Hop To
D
darick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm fairly new to reloading and having some trouble with my 243. I can't get some of my shells to fit in my gun, I can't close the bolt. The brass fits in fine, but once I put a bullet it in it won't fit in. Some of them will fit in fine and shoot great and others won't. They measure exactly the same, from brass to oal. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check the length.

Mark the shoulder with a sharpie and see if it is hitting in the chamber.

Last edited by plainsman456; 12/02/15.
D
darick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
After inspecting the ones that won't chamber closely there is a slight crease at the shoulder. Am I not setting up my seating die correctly

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by darick
After inspecting the ones that won't chamber closely there is a slight crease at the shoulder. Am I not setting up my seating die correctly

Bingo....We have a winner..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you are crimping, you could be swelling the neck or riveting the shoulder. If not, he's probably right.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The solution would be to turn out your seating die in a small amount at a time until they chamber. 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn should do it.

Edit: I blew it. I should know better than to post late at night.

Last edited by MichiganScott; 12/03/15. Reason: I blew it

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
If you are crimping, you could be swelling the neck or riveting the shoulder. If not, he's probably right.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The solution would be to turn your die in a small amount at a time until they chamber. 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn should do it.

He needs to turn his die out, not in. He's got it too close to the shellholder and when he seats the bullet it's trying to crimp it into place, but I'm betting his bullet doesn't have a cannelure so it buckles the shoulder slightly.

I had the same thing happen for years with a 7mm rem mag and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally I figured it out and backed the die out of the press 1/2 turn & readjusted my seating depth with the seating stem. No more problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

He needs to turn his die out, not in. He's got it too close to the shellholder and when he seats the bullet it's trying to crimp it into place, but I'm betting his bullet doesn't have a cannelure so it buckles the shoulder slightly.

I had the same thing happen for years with a 7mm rem mag and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally I figured it out and backed the die out of the press 1/2 turn & readjusted my seating depth with the seating stem. No more problems.

As above, the easiest way to fix the problem is to back out the seating die one full turn and screw the seater stem down the same amount.

The reason the case shoulder doesn't buckle on every cartridge is because of a slight variation in case length. The longer cases will buckle at the shoulder while the shorter cases will be fine.

If the seater die is setup wrong you can usually feel it when seating the bullet, it will have a slight "camm over" feel about it !

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm fairly new to reloading and having some trouble with my 243. I can't get some of my shells to fit in my gun, I can't close the bolt. The brass fits in fine, but once I put a bullet it in it won't fit in. Some of them will fit in fine and shoot great and others won't. They measure exactly the same, from brass to oal. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong?

If you are trying to crimp, stop it. You don't need to crimp 243 cartridges even if they have a cannelure.

To adjust the die:

1. Put a case in the shellholder and put the ram all the way up.

2. Screw the die in until you feel resistance and then back it out at least a turn.

3. Then adjust the seater stem to seat the bullet to the depth you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As an alternative to Grumulkin's method:

Put the shellholder on the ram,
Raise it all the way up,
Place a nickel on the shell holder,
Screw your seating die down until it bottoms on the nickel,
Tighten your die lock ring.

After this is done, adjust bullet seating depth by screwing the seating stem in/out.

What brand of dies are you using?

Regards,

Tom
D
darick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Rcbs dies. Did what you guys said and works good

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.