Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#10762110 12/08/15
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have an original, made in 1893 '86 Winchester in 45-70, it sports a half octagon half round barrel of 26"s with the half mag, it's loaded with the 500 gr Jerry Dean grease groove bullets and powered to 1236 fps by KIK Holy Black.

I fired a best 3 shot half inch group with it at 50 yards with the factory buckhorns, no wiping or blow tubing, gonna be taking this rifle in the cedar and pine creek bottom thickets over in Ar. this weekend after wt deer, hope to root a few out and bust 'em with this fine old rifle, I can't wait! smile

Trump Won!
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Git 'er done!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Will be after 'em hard Crowrifle, I'll bet that big greaser will let me take the path that's offered to the vitals. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Those old guns were made to shoot, not sit in a corner somewhere. I have killed a carload of critters with them and continue to hunt them. It doesn't always have to be big either, it is just fun to take these things for a walk...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Shrapnel, I heartily agree, thought about taking my Sharps but have been in those bottoms many times before and have busted 10-12 deer at a time in a group, believe I can work that lever action a little faster and try to go ahead and tag out, season is rapidly drawing to a close.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My best deer ever; 1886 45-70...

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice buck and with a .45-70!! May I ask what year?????

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

1992, I think...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow!!! I was only 45 then!! I looked a lot younger and had NO gray hair.. Great buck, and with a great rifle.. Congrats..
Thinks were sure easier in those days.. Hope you get squared away with the health issues.. When we have our health we have it all.. Best wishes..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The one I had started out as a 40-82 and at some point was rechambered to 45-70. I never even had to mess with the sights. I have an older Lyman manual with three levels of 45-70 loadings, IIRC. The second level was for 1886 Winchesters and I utilized this. The recoil was never nearly as bad as with the Marlin 1895's of the day.

I shot a big cow with it one time. Poor old critter was bogged down in a pond and we'd tried everything to get her to go ahead and calve. My Uncle should have had me shoot her a couple of hours before we did, but it was his call. Critters like this are typically a whole lot harder to kill than some healthy cow. This one was DRT with the 1886 and my handload under some 400 grain bullet I cast in a Lyman mold.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They work on buffalo too...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to shoot a spike this month, but I sure do feel silly shooting a 100 lb deer with a 500 grain bullet blush

But there is a big sow wandering around the lease, with a couple litters. I could try to line up 3 in a row... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I loaded 400 grain cast bullets for that buffalo. It completely penetrated the bull and a cow on the other side it. I don't think many people understand momentum with these old cartridges.

I have shot a ton of game with them, but they still don't kill like high velocity...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The biggest mistake i ever made was to sell my win. 45-70 extra light made in 1901, killed alot of deer with it, a 400lb Black bear and a cow Buff! wishing you Luck this weekend!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

SRC's are good medicine on turkeys too...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice critters Shrapnel, I derive great satisfaction hunting and killing game with the old guns too, spinning turrets at game several football fields away is okay, but not near as satisfying.smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The one I had started out as a 40-82 and at some point was rechambered to 45-70. I never even had to mess with the sights. I have an older Lyman manual with three levels of 45-70 loadings, IIRC. The second level was for 1886 Winchesters and I utilized this. The recoil was never nearly as bad as with the Marlin 1895's of the day.

I shot a big cow with it one time. Poor old critter was bogged down in a pond and we'd tried everything to get her to go ahead and calve. My Uncle should have had me shoot her a couple of hours before we did, but it was his call. Critters like this are typically a whole lot harder to kill than some healthy cow. This one was DRT with the 1886 and my handload under some 400 grain bullet I cast in a Lyman mold.

500 grs with Holy Black is a blast all unto itself EE, wish y'all could have chained that cow out, birthed and saved the calf anyway.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I need to shoot a spike this month, but I sure do feel silly shooting a 100 lb deer with a 500 grain bullet blush

But there is a big sow wandering around the lease, with a couple litters. I could try to line up 3 in a row... smile

Do it Tex, no shame, heck, I've shot a couple Oklahoma armadillos with a 577 Nitro. blush, they don't care. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by saddlering
The biggest mistake i ever made was to sell my win. 45-70 extra light made in 1901, killed alot of deer with it, a 400lb Black bear and a cow Buff! wishing you Luck this weekend!

Dang, hard lick right there Saddlering, it's easy to see you still miss that rifle, I had a friend put a hard eye on my '86, knowing exactly the kind of begging, conniving, conspirator he is I shouted "FORGET IT BUD!!!!!" grin

Thanks for the well wish, I 'll be on 'em if they mess up.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

500 grs with Holy Black is a blast all unto itself EE, wish y'all could have chained that cow out, birthed and saved the calf anyway.
We put pullers on the calf, waded into the pond. She might have got back in on her own after she got out...it's been thirty years ago, but we did all we could. When I first saw the situation, I knew I'd be shooting her and should have right then. She was my Uncle's cow though, so it was his call. It just put her through a lot more pain than she needed to go through.

I never shot black in that gun. It certainly had the capability, but I didn't want to clean it. I've probably still got some of those handloads someplace.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Do it Tex, no shame, heck, I've shot a couple Oklahoma armadillos with a 577 Nitro. blush, they don't care. grin
I killed a couple of armadillos the other night with a 94-22. They are tough little buggers. These two were fair sized. My fifteen-year-old daughter hauled them and a possum I also killed with it, off for me and a danged armadillo jumped out at her as she was dumping them. I could kill at least one varmint every night here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They may over-penetrate on gophers...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures! Those old lever guns are awesome!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Worked my ass completely off and came up empty this time, the reward can sometimes be found in the exhaustion smile, it was great fun nonetheless and I'll be back for another hard round soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes Men.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunting in a monsoon can be tough. At least you were out in it trying.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Worked my ass completely off and came up empty this time, the reward can sometimes be found in the exhaustion smile, it was great fun nonetheless and I'll be back for another hard round soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes Men.
You just needed 5 more grains of BP.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm looking somewhat fondly over at an '86 in '45-90, Browning Utah marked, '88 SN that looks to have been part of the Pleasant Valley War.
All of the Tewksberry (The Sheepherders) outfit were issued em', or so the story goes. Does the HB carved into the front of the right stock comb signify that it saw scabbard carry with the "One Armed Hamp (Hamp Blevins) Gang", a division of the Tewksberry factions ? If so there's a lot of yarns it could spin. I aim to find out.
This ones a keeper, and requires some MAJOR TLC, looks like it's muzzle was blown up / off, and some bozo hacked it down into a shorter half magazine configuration. The original barrel's to be re-extended and sleeved,and re-chambered for the 2.4" case, next Summer, Lord willin'. An 18 twist liner will take it out of the "express rifle" area, and let me get into that 1050 FPS / 500 gr + realm that I like , too.

Beside it sits an almost minty modern replica, sadly not the Browning in flavor,....rather that Winchester number in .45-70 that requires a some retrograde mods, "De-Lawyer Proofing" as it were. Damn fine rifle regardless,....Miroku builds a fine arm. It's a take down #, fitted with a Lyman 66 peek hole rear sight.

I don't play in the classifieds, If any of you died in the wool types have an interest in this replica, gimme a shout,...2 of em' are just too damned heavy to pack, and I KNOW which one I'm going to carry the most.The full conversion to a true half cock set up is a snap, requiring a Browning Trigger and Hammer. Elimination of that stupid rebound hammer feature is an afternoon project requiring some screwdrivers, and a file, and will probably happen the next time my shop's not masquerading as a meat locker.

Merry Christmas, Dark Siders !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/15/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Hunting in a monsoon can be tough. At least you were out in it trying.

Saturday was dry briars, Sunday was WET WET, did have a yearling doe in the sights on Saturday, let her walk, then no buck, had a tag left for either a buck or doe in that zone. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Would that be a '76 in 45-75 EE? Very nice!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm looking somewhat fondly over at an '86 in '45-90, Browning Utah marked, '88 SN that looks to have been part of the Pleasant Valley War.
All of the Tewksberry (The Sheepherders) outfit were issued em', or so the story goes. Does the HB carved into the front of the right stock comb signify that it saw scabbard carry with the "One Armed Hamp (Hamp Blevins) Gang", a division of the Tewksberry factions ? If so there's a lot of yarns it could spin. I aim to find out.
This ones a keeper, and requires some MAJOR TLC, looks like it's muzzle was blown up / off, and some bozo hacked it down into a shorter half magazine configuration. The original barrel's to be re-extended and sleeved,and re-chambered for the 2.4" case, next Summer, Lord willin'. An 18 twist liner will take it out of the "express rifle" area, and let me get into that 1050 FPS / 500 gr + realm that I like , too.

Beside it sits an almost minty modern replica, sadly not the Browning in flavor,....rather that Winchester number in .45-70 that requires a some retrograde mods, "De-Lawyer Proofing" as it were. Damn fine rifle regardless,....Miroku builds a fine arm. It's a take down #, fitted with a Lyman 66 peek hole rear sight.

I don't play in the classifieds, If any of you died in the wool types have an interest in this replica, gimme a shout,...2 of em' are just too damned heavy to pack, and I KNOW which one I'm going to carry the most.The full conversion to a true half cock set up is a snap, requiring a Browning Trigger and Hammer. Elimination of that stupid rebound hammer feature is an afternoon project requiring some screwdrivers, and a file, and will probably happen the next time my shop's not masquerading as a meat locker.

GTC

A hell of a project in the works indeed Cross, I ever get out that way for pleasure, would love to stop by and view your wares over coffee [or stronger] and conversation.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have a 2nd year 1886 40-65 made in 1887 stamped "Browning Bros". It is also a single set trigger rifle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That single set was a popular option,...IIRC all the same basic guts as the one fitted to the "Walls", but with a longer sear engagement nose.
....been driven completely around the bend repairing that minute "hook" in em',....more than once.
Q. Did Win. ever fit those "Close Coupled" sets to the lever guns ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 86 (at least in its original form) was a smooth, well made gun. But I never have stumbled across one that was both affordable and desirable (at least when I had the money to buy one). Looked hard at a couple of Mirokus, but I usually migrate back to a single shot.

Still want a Model 71 Deluxe, even if they aren't BPCR. Same deal - affordable and desirable. smile

And yeah, I need to make it out to Cross' place, myself smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's with some amazement that I reflect on the small HERDS of beat up old 86's covered tables at the Calgary and Kalispell Gunshows half a lifetime back,...and that a really GOOD one could be had for $500.
Good originals certainly fall well outside of my range, but good horse trades are another realm,....
The replicas have good potential, and appear to be priced within reason,...as noted, retrofitting them into slicker and more original form IS eminently do-able.

[Linked Image]

Finds like the one pictured below just seem to come along and fall on one, every now and than.I can hear it whispering to that old 10 ga. Guard's Gun in the safe.

Researching and studying the "Pleasant Valley War(s)", and "One Armed Hamp" is going to keep me out of bars,....and anybody that's well up to speed on the "Hamp Blevins Gang",...well, YOUR input would sure be welcomed.

[Linked Image]

A good HALF the fun of messing around with these historic pelters is discussing their provenance, ...whether documented, or just centered around speculation founded in historic facts.

Any and all with the notion of dropping in,...gate's closed, but not locked.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A 40-65 is on my hit list Schrap, either a '74 Sharps or '86 Winchester, nice piece there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The 86 (at least in its original form) was a smooth, well made gun. But I never have stumbled across one that was both affordable and desirable (at least when I had the money to buy one). Looked hard at a couple of Mirokus, but I usually migrate back to a single shot.

Still want a Model 71 Deluxe, even if they aren't BPCR. Same deal - affordable and desirable. smile

And yeah, I need to make it out to Cross' place, myself smile

Have wanted one for decades Tex, this '86 is a 24" half round half octagon rifle with beautiful wood, someone rubbed the wood down with raw linseed oil, but I don't care, I had to have it, best I can measure it has a 20 twist and easily stabilizes the 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greaser.

Have killed a few deer and pigs with this bullet at a bit more speed in my Sharps, but I believe at 1236 fps from this '86 results will be the same, dead critters and no recovered bullets, although I dont have the great ranging capabilities with this lever action as I do with my Sharps, it's still a fine sub 125 yard hunting rifle, both to carry and shoot.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old guns have a very strong appeal Cross, and yes, provenance is very interesting to research or receive as lore or historical events, even from clouded memories from oldtimers, I listen intently regardless when blessed by a few hours of camp talk. smile

Can't wait to see pics and read detail of your progress, and onto completion of these works.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A 40-65 is on my hit list Schrap, either a '74 Sharps or '86 Winchester, nice piece there.

I have another 40-65 marked W.F. Sheard Livingston, Montana. They are great to shoot and don't beat you up. The 40-65 will still completely penetrate a deer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uberti flavor. I have seen some pretty nice originals but they would be exceedingly high-dollar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GTC
Merry Christmas to you too Cross.

Years ago when I bought my original '86, the old boy had two of them. The other was a very fancy inlaid and engraved model in 45-90. It was some higher than my gun, but I don't remember it being extremely expensive. Of course the engraving and stuff was probably newish, but you never know. I think the receiver was even silver plated. It had a pewter-ish look to it with gold plated deers and such. I wish I had it, but it probably would have went down the river on some stupid gun I had to have at the time, so...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those are nice.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have another 40-65 marked W.F. Sheard Livingston, Montana. They are great to shoot and don't beat you up. The 40-65 will still completely penetrate a deer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What would be the description meaning of Mr. Sheard, Shrapnel, was he a Gunsmith or Dealer of the day?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Uberti flavor. I have seen some pretty nice originals but they would be exceedingly high-dollar.

10-4 on the originals EE, you simply would not believe what landed in my lap on a trade deal Monday, it's such an abomination it doesn't rate mere mention in this forum, but it did come with two boxes of factory ammo, I have new brass, bullets and dies on the way. shocked blush lol

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AWWWww, C'mon Man, don't keep us all guessing.

That's just MEAN !

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

What would be the description meaning of Mr. Sheard, Shrapnel, was he a Gunsmith or Dealer of the day?

Sheard was a gun dealer and outfitter in Livingston, Montana until 1892 when he moved to Tacoma, Washington. He was somewhat like his contemporary in Bozeman, Walter Cooper who was another frontier entrepreneur, selling guns and sporting equipment in the 1870's and 1880's...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have a 2nd year 1886 40-65 made in 1887 stamped "Browning Bros". It is also a single set trigger rifle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dang, Shrap! That .40-60 is too much gun for deer! You purt near turned him inside out! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gotta admit I like the idea of a .38-55 or .40-65 as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Original 1876 in 45-75...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That's just MEAN !

GTC

Serial #31xxx, a 1914 year model '07 Winchester in 351 S.L., sweet little gun and fun to shoot, it's in wonderful condition and un-bubba'd, zeroed it at 50 yards Thurs afternoon with the factory ammo.grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That deer still had travel plans when he lost complete control of his guidance systems Ed. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gotta admit I like the idea of a .38-55 or .40-65 as well.

I have a 38-55 in a '94 Tex, fun gun, but yes, a 40-65 in a nice Sharps or '86 Winchester would be really really nice to have and shoot, funner still to add weight to the freezer box floor with 'em too. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Original 1876 in 45-75...

[Linked Image]

Nice, appears the 76's may be of the toggle link persuasion?

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

10-4 on the originals EE, you simply would not believe what landed in my lap on a trade deal Monday, it's such an abomination it doesn't rate mere mention in this forum, but it did come with two boxes of factory ammo, I have new brass, bullets and dies on the way. shocked blush lol
You are a bad influence. I have looked all over for 45-75 dies because I absolutely hate ordering off the internet. After reading your post, I broke down and ordered some last night.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The '76 is basically an elongated version of the '73...Winchester's attempt to compete with Sharps on the Buffalo prairies. It was more successful with normal hunters than market types. The '86 was all the '76 tried to be but a day late and a dollar short for the big shaggies that were pretty much shot out by the time it hit the west. The 1881 Marlin in 45-70 is a fine weapon, but a bit late for the Buffs also.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a collector up in Alberta years ago that displayed several NWMP Carbines, both the original early models, and the "New Pattern".
Replacing their clapped out Sniders with the 45-75s must have made for some fairly happy (and formidable) Mounties,....and the legend and lore surrounding those Carbine's exploits is a fundamental component of Western Canadian History,....Batoche, Duck Lake, Riel, DuMont, etc.

Here's a good read about one of em',...talk about provenance.

Link: http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/winch...nted-police-rcmp-legion-frontiersmen.htm

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was surprised at the recoil. I had always read about how inferior to the 45-70 the 45-75 was. The recoil on mine must be on a par with factory Rem 405's, which don't recoil terribly in 45-70 terms, but still demand respect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a collector up in Alberta years ago that displayed several NWMP Carbines, both the original early models, and the "New Pattern".
Replacing their clapped out Sniders with the 45-75s must have made for some fairly happy (and formidable) Mounties,....and the legend and lore surrounding those Carbine's exploits is a fundamental component of Western Canadian History,....Batoche, Duck Lake, Riel, DuMont, etc.

Here's a good read about one of em',...talk about provenance.

Link: http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/winch...nted-police-rcmp-legion-frontiersmen.htm

GTC
I would think that the '76 would have been a comforting thing for an LEO back in those days. IIRC, those were full-stocked "muskets".

I once had the chance to buy a new Winchester '73. It still was in the factory cosmoline. It was a musket, made for the Australian military, IIRC. There was a rack of them this old boy had. $2300. I have lamented not purchasing it then and there, manys the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NWMP ?

Saddle ring Carbines with almost full length wood forends, musket style, as it were....no bayonet

....Win. DID make a longer Musket,....dunno who used em.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/17/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NWMP ?

Saddle ring Carbines

....Win. DID make a longer Musket,....dunno who used em.

GTC
Gotcha. I don't know who used the '76 muskets either.

Here's another "wet" shot of the '76.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whether carbine length or full length musket, the stout wood protection over the fragile magazine tube made sense.

Fuzzy on this, but I THINK that that same bunch (NWMP) were savvy enough to pick the S&W Scofield in .44 Russian as their sidearm.

....well armed crew.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/17/15. Reason: speeling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's just MEAN !

GTC

Serial #31xxx, a 1914 year model '07 Winchester in 351 S.L., sweet little gun and fun to shoot, it's in wonderful condition and un-bubba'd, zeroed it at 50 yards Thurs afternoon with the factory ammo.grin

There are interesting rifles. I dropped a cull buck with mine opening weekend. Hawk 180gr soft point worked fine.

If you haven't already done so, take down the action and liberally lube/clean the firing pin. Mine was gummed up with ancient oil. And taking apart the front end of the rifle can be rather entertaining smirk

A modern version of that cartridge, with a .223 case head blown out to .357 caliber could be a darned interesting round for an AR.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That's just MEAN !

GTC

There are interesting rifles. I dropped a cull buck with mine opening weekend. Hawk 180gr soft point worked fine.

If you haven't already done so, take down the action and liberally lube/clean the firing pin. Mine was gummed up with ancient oil. And taking apart the front end of the rifle can be rather entertaining smirk

A modern version of that cartridge, with a .223 case head blown out to .357 caliber could be a darned interesting round for an AR.

BWAAHAHAHAlaugh, they are funny cool little rifles Tex, that's the bullet I have on the way, the 180 Hawk and 19 gr of 4227 is where I'm gonna start, I'll chrono some of the old loaded fmj and softs and keep my speeds there, I've read this is one rifle design I DONT want to fool around with hot-rodding it.

Good to see it will kill deer safely loaded as you show here.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Listed a peep sight That I belive is for an 1886 rifle, here in the Class.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BWAAHAHAHAlaugh, they are funny cool little rifles Tex, that's the bullet I have on the way, the 180 Hawk and 19 gr of 4227 is where I'm gonna start, I'll chrono some of the old loaded fmj and softs and keep my speeds there, I've read this is one rifle design I DONT want to fool around with hot-rodding it.

Good to see it will kill deer safely loaded as you show here.

Somewhere I have a box of parts from another 1907. I should really make up a few replacement recoil springs, as they tend to mechanically wear on their guide rods. It's a blowback operated action and a spring fracture would probably be unwelcome smile

I ran 2400 under the Hawks in my rifle and they worked fine, though have not chrono'd them. I agree pushing the envelope is best not done in that 109 year old contraption. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Spares wont hurt for sure Tex, Wolff makes new recoil springs for these rifles, my load of 19 gr of 4227 ran 1941 fps.laugh

The little 180 Hawk spit her core, but not before going through about 3ft of water jugs end to end, [commercial pool chemical plastic pails to be exact]

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've really enjoyed my new '86 so far but down the road would like to have the mod done eliminating the rebounding hammer and tang safety.The 45/90 chambering is the bomb,very accurate, hard hitting with big cast greasers that function flawlessly.

Shooting KIK-2 holy black and Blackhorn 209 surprisingly both loads shoot to almost the same POI...

This much fun should be illegal ! cool

!00yds.. Lyman 457643 casts a heavy 419grs at 30:1 ...my old peepers ain't the greatest anymore. grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Good medicine for rabbits...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually saw a .38-55 in a 94 rifle this weekend; at first glance I thought it was a modern gun, but I looked again and realized it was a 1894, around 400,000 s/n. It had been carefully refinished, down to re-engraving the lettering. The price was reasonable, and I may have to give this one another look.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Saddlering, mine aint D&T'd for a receiver sight, hit was hammered together in the year of 1893. wink

Bet someone needs one though.

Woody,
Those 86's be it new-r repro or old are fine rifle, there is just something about carrying one, I love em.

Shrap,
Good fun and better eating right there, glad to see pics of you getting the young bucks out and getting it done, mentoring in this way will help insure they grow into fine men and 'proper' voters. wink

Tex,
Oopps, fat finger typo, my 351 SL load is running '1841 fps,' action still functions fine at those speeds, haven't had any function issues to date with my rifle, but, on your bit about yours being gummed a bit, did drip a bit of Kroil down/around the firing pin hole in the bolt and propped it up at straight 12 o'clock for a couple days to soak, wiped her out and re oiled with a bit of Lucas Gun Oil, and she's off to the races and ready to rip. grin

Did notice a hairline crack on the left upper portion of the forearm, figuring there's a sliding counterweight of sorts in there kinda beating things about, if it begins to bother me I'll have 'Smith repair the crack and relieve the wood if available to do so.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I actually saw a .38-55 in a 94 rifle this weekend; at first glance I thought it was a modern gun, but I looked again and realized it was a 1894, around 400,000 s/n. It had been carefully refinished, down to re-engraving the lettering. The price was reasonable, and I may have to give this one another look.

Grab it, been eyeballing a nice long octagon barreled '94 in 32-40 WCF myself as of late.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tex,
Oopps, fat finger typo, my 351 SL load is running '1841 fps,' action still functions fine at those speeds, haven't had any function issues to date with my rifle, but, on your bit about yours being gummed a bit, did drip a bit of Kroil down/around the firing pin hole in the bolt and propped it up at straight 12 o'clock for a couple days to soak, wiped her out and re oiled with a bit of Lucas Gun Oil, and she's off to the races and ready to rip. grin

Did notice a hairline crack on the left upper portion of the forearm, figuring there's a sliding counterweight of sorts in there kinda beating things about, if it begins to bother me I'll have 'Smith repair the crack and relieve the wood if available to do so.

This is what the massive breechblock looks like, on my older rifle. It lived a hard life on a ranch in South Texas. Probably weighs a pound or two, and yeah almost all of them crack the forend, mine included.

[Linked Image]

Today I bet it would cost $500 to make one of those breechblocks smirk

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good Lord, what a chunk, no wonder the forearms take a beating.

You did copy on Wolff making new recoil springs for these?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did, thanks. I'll hold off making any, in that case.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Tex.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.