Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy chit mikestaken, look what you caused... Should have just greased it up and not tell anyone.. That's what most guys do here anyway... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps 15 yards away looking at me. (Correction: facing away.)

[Linked Image]

Another around 15-20 feeding facing.

[Linked Image]

Neither one had a chance. Nor would they with an 870.

Of course you can improve your chances when it all happens at once.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester M 70 7x57,he did not hear the safety. Though he was about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 .243 win,these two coyotes never heard the safety either. They were about 83-84 yds away. Even though both of them were shot looking at me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Holy chit mikestaken, look what you caused... Should have just greased it up and not tell anyone.. That's what most guys do here anyway... laugh

It's crazy. I thought my initial question was fairly benign. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue, that's cheating. Your rifle is 62 years old and well broken in... I'll bet you that safety works like greased owl chit on a slick rock...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope, this question gets chewed on a couple times each year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
battue, that's cheating. Your rifle is 62 years old and well broken in... I'll bet you that safety works like greased owl chit on a slick rock...

Yea, but the second one is a re-barreled classic. grin

Addition: Actually the older one started sticking and this summer a Smith went over it. Now it is slicker than frog lips. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mikestaten

Interesting that one of the most outspoken on this thread mills out the bottom of Talley lightweights, which has absolutely ZERO benefit from a functionality standpoint yet he posts 7 times to this thread and nearly all include some dim-whitted sarcasm or insult. That said, they do look cool and I'd probably buy a set if I had a Tikka but I guess I'd be called an idiot again because they would not have any real world impact on my hunting success.

The LW's are very quiet, and no they don't do anything but look a little cleaner.

I'm full of dim-whittled sarcasm. Ease up fella, its just guys talking schit. But a word of warning since you might be new:

If you rub Big Sticks belly, he'll love you til the day you die. He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood hits him, the best thing to do is just let him finish.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Around 20-25 with a Kimber. He was walking up hill. I was too at the time.

[Linked Image]

Just can't happen. crazy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 16bore

Interesting that one of the most outspoken on this thread mills out the bottom of Talley lightweights, which has absolutely ZERO benefit from a functionality standpoint yet he posts 7 times to this thread and nearly all include some dim-whitted sarcasm or insult. That said, they do look cool and I'd probably buy a set if I had a Tikka but I guess I'd be called an idiot again because they would not have any real world impact on my hunting success.

The LW's are very quiet, and no they don't do anything but look a little cleaner.

I'm full of dim-whittled sarcasm. Ease up fella, its just guys talking schit. But a word of warning since you might be new:

If you rub Big Sticks belly, he'll love you til the day you die. He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood hits him, the best thing to do is just let him finish.

I thought Stick rubbed his own belly then loved himself til the day he dies....

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't run around with round in the chamber so I wouldn't know how loud my safety is on my EW.... Or any of my model 70's

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mini 30? Now that's a quality item Clark.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, I like my m1917 safety the best but somehow managed to learn how to use a wing safety... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Uh.... isn't an EW one of the new, FN M70's? Different machine than all these old M70's and Kimbers and whatnot.

Plus, it's in a glass stock. Tap a glass stock with a pencil. Now tap a wood stock. Yeah....

I think the OP's rifle has a REALLY LOUD SAFETY!!

Can't we all give his question just a little respect and, y'know...... get along?

No? Ok, cool. Carry on! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
He's an angry elf..
Must be from the South Pole...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, nice bucks there!!! Hunting out west, I mostly never chamber a round until I see my game... Hunting in the east, often on a stand, I do.. But I always eased the safety off. Never just flicked and let it go.. Little noise that way..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This has been a great read. Never knew safeties were so troublesome to a few folks. Or that some could get so worked up over them. Just WOW!

I killed a buck a few years back with my M70 (in 270 Win no less) at a whopping distance of 6 paces. He never heard me flick the safety off or if he did, he didn't care. Maybe he was hard of hearing?

Now, if you want to talk about LOUD safeties, lets talk about Ruger 77s. shocked Oh wait, I don't have any trouble with them either. wink

Go figure. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The deer in your pics don't prove the next one won't hear it and bolt. Alot depends on conditions {wind, rain, background noise eg cars, planes etc or dead still silent) and the demeanor of the particular deer. Please don't try to tell me it doesn't happen because I've seen it personally. I like all of my equipment to be quiet at spitting distance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Winchester M 70 7x57,he did not hear the safety. Though he was about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 .243 win,these two coyotes never heard the safety either. They were about 83-84 yds away. Even though both of them were shot looking at me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No shyt ? 80 - 100 yards ain't even close to "close range". You could just about dance a jig while whistling zippidy doo dah and they wouldn't hear you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any way to fix this short of using two fingers to turn safety off?

I didn't read the entire thread; but, short of a little lubrication and working it repeatedly, probably not. It seems you have already discovered the most preferred and functional method with two fingers.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/15/15. Reason: Corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.