Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any way to fix this short of using two fingers to turn safety off?

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oil?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It must have a spring and ball detent setup. If I simply push it forward it really snaps forward and makes a loud click. It will probably get quieter over time but as it is I definitely need to use my thumb and index finger to slowly slide it forward. Not a deal breaker but on my Remington 700 I can slide my safety off silently with just my thumb.

I've played around with a Kimber Montana which uses the same/similar safety as my Win and it is way quieter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use two fingers on M70s when trying to be quiet. Many love these safeties. I have gotten used to them, but consider them a little "clunky."

It probably will get a little smoother over time if it's a new rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Some are stiffer and make more noise to operate than others. I always just use two fingers to take them off safe. If the game is close enough you already have the rifle shouldered and can only use your thumb the noise isn't really going to matter IMO

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suggest ear plugs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All Winchesters, and to a lesser extent Rugers with the wing type safety are harder to ease off quietly. Neither good nor bad, just a quirk with the design. I can make it work with either. If that is a design feature you just can't live with then a Winchester probably just isn't for you.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

I'll stick with 3-pos wing safeties...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Thank you! Voice of reason. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My beef with the Winny safety is when there's little "feel" between each position.

Last edited by turkish; 12/13/15.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I actually find the noise kind of handy. Several times I've had deer inside 20 yards and the click of the safety has stopped them for the shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny how things work out in reality laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob, you could have written that as easily as me!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad you did wonderfully! I'm tired of getting yelled at for hunting with a noisy safety. grin

What I LOVE about the SC rifles is you just punch that safety and it FLIES off! Like it's spring loaded. I love it! wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad you did wonderfully! I'm tired of getting yelled at for hunting with a noisy safety. grin

What I LOVE about the SC rifles is you just punch that safety and it FLIES off! Like it's spring loaded. I love it! wink

It could be worse, you could get yelled at for hunting with a cold chamber too. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 28lx

I actually find the noise kind of handy. Several times I've had deer inside 20 yards and the click of the safety has stopped them for the shot.

I've had the noise of the safety get noticed by deer numerous times, hunting blacktail in western Oregon. I'd rather they didn't, so I practiced, and on my Remington's I can kinda ride it forward more or less silently. I can't really do that on the 3-pos wing on my Kimber, but I don't hunt blacktails in the jungle with it anyway.

It pains me to do so but I gotta disagree with Brad and Bob. There are hunting situations where a noisy safety can be a liability. Who wants to make a loud metallic CLICK when trying to get a shot on a very close deer? A few BT's I've killed, I killed them because I sat completely still and silent for an eternity... you know you are doing it right when a chipmunk runs across your boot, or a bird lands on you, both of which have happened to me.... the deer are CLOSE, everything is quiet.... Artificial noises are a tangible liability in that situation. Any kind of nylon clothing rustle, creak, or of course click will get noticed. I once missed out on a shot when the Velcro on the cuff of my jacket grabbed onto the fleecy stuff my pants were made of, and made that Velcro sound when I started to raise my arm... I killed the buck anyway but it was much harder as he was now on the alert and moving away.

Now it's very true that in my elk hunting, mule deer hunting, and even blacktail hunting where you aren't right there "in it" with them, a loud safety wouldn't matter. And that probably encompasses most hunting. But not all hunting.

(The reason you have to get in so tight with them is that in some areas, that's all there IS, and/or the deer are so nocturnal that you have to ambush them between bed and food, because you'll never catch them out in the open when it's light. You might get one as he drifts slowly from his bedding area to wherever it is he's going to feed that night. So you find active trails and sit 'em, but it is so THICK, you might only be 15, 20 yards off the trail or even less. I've had multiple deer (does, non-shooters) well under 10 feet away.)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh jeez.....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Sorry for wasting your time with such a question.

I'll let everyone get back to whether a spiral or straight fluted bolt is better for a hunting rifle. We should probably close the custom rifle threads too because custom rifles have no material benefit over a quality factory rifle on hunting success.

Where I hunt in NY has very thick cover so shots are usually close and a deer has a real world chance of bolting at the sound of that safety.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mikestaten
there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Sorry for wasting your time with such a question.

I'll let everyone get back to whether a spiral or straight fluted bolt is better for a hunting rifle. We should probably close the custom rifle threads too because custom rifles have no material benefit over a quality factory rifle on hunting success.

Where I hunt in NY has very thick cover so shots are usually close and a deer has a real world chance of bolting at the sound of that safety.

LOL, lighten up there Francis. We're just talking here. No reason to run off mad.

I'm also not a fan of fluted bolts grin

BTW, if the EW's safety was such a problem for you, why'd you buy it?

I have one, there are plenty ways around a noisy safety in the presence of game... just saying.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. And in the thick stuff, you might only have "a" shooting lane... if the deer takes a step forward at the noise or starts to drift off you might never get another chance.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time a band camp.....

I'm still worried that 270 CorLokts won't kill stuff dead. Or if anything without a .625 BC can be shot past 100 yards. Or if Tikka's will break with all the plastic. Or if I won't get me a deer because I don't have a turret on my scope. Or that the extra pound of rifle I may be carrying will break my back. Or if a 260 can really kill me a deer. But what if I want a new rifle and I might kill me an elk one day? Or am I missing the boat because my gun doesn't have an Ackley Improved chamber? If my boolits aren't kissing the lands will I miss? Should I trade my 7RM for a 28 Nosler? I heard they were more deadly. And Leupold's fail all the time. And factory ammo is horrible. Can I still use Hoppe's #9? I like the smell. If I was looking at a deer at 300 yards and only had a 30-06, should I go home and get a 300WM instead?

Phuqq it, I quit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, good grief... it's not a hard thing to take a safety off quietly...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Like I said, its not a deal breaker but was wondering if anyone ever did any work on it to quiet it down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess a Dremel and a polishing bit would help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A little grease/oil in the detents and a few hours in front of the TV... a few thousand flicks should quiet it down nicely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, good grief... it's not a hard thing to take a safety off quietly...

Brad, agree with my Rem's. Piece of cake and hardly any movement required.

If my Kimber safety snapped forwards as aggressively as the OP's EW it would be a bummer... If I hunted thick stuff with it I mean. It's where that wing is located. It has to do with taking the hand out of firing position, and a bunch of excess movement, if you have to ride it forward. Neither is a good thing. Insurmountable? Of course not. But in the interest of wanting to get a rifle "right"- and I know you are as guilty of that anyone here, lol- for a guy to want to quiet a really loud safety is totally legit. IMHO of course. And we're just talkin'.

Hey is Dober doing ok? He still hang out here from time to time?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try putting some JB bore cleaner in the detent and working it a hundred times or so. Then just wash it out with a solvent...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I need to get this straight. Wind is perfect and a fella is locked in, didn't have to move a muscle to align the scope. Been holding the rifle steady like that all morning, aiming at a magic spot where a deer will absolutely cross in front of him at some magical distance. Then suddenly has to move the safety lever and the whole scenario turns to crap because of the safety.

I never considered this and now won't be able to sleep. And now I've just found out that Leupold scopes suck and my sling is too heavy.

Now I'm really going to quit. For real. If the company that made the cough silencer could somehow make a safety silencer, I might try hunting again.

Dunno, it seems so complicated.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh come on...put your stinking thumb on top of the safety rather than behind the wing, and ride it forward the same as you do on a Remington.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now THAT'S an idea.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could just get the owners of Power Bars to make a cold weather wrapper that didn't make noise, I could see getting back into the game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or just 'Walt Garrison' it. "Just a pinch".......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is why they have to make guns "lawyer proof" these days. Guys running around the woods that can't even work a friggin safety

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If the game runs off because of your safety, you weren't going to get it anyway. I shot a 9pt buck at 15 feet, and all he did was look at me when I "clicked" the safety off. Which was too late for him at that point.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some funny sh1t here! Say it ain't so that the goofy sumbeetch that can't open a bullet box can't quietly disengage a safety... Sweet Laird Jumpin' Jaysus!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Indeed..

Due to the position of the Rem safety it's a bit easier to slide to OFF since one can merely keep the thumb on it while moving it. But just give it a little flick from the back and it makes some noise just like any other.. The position of the M70 safety makes a one-finger-letoff a bit more problematic - which is why many use thumb and forefinger to ease it off..

However, I've hunted with M70s for over 40 years and have yet to have some animal spook merely due to the safety operation.. FWIW

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take that noisy 3 position safety over a remmy safety anyday. It is just like any thing else hunting related. Practice, practice, practice. And if it is still to noisy disassemble it and work it over. My pre-64 makes noise and I have no idea how many times I have released the safety on it. My ruger 77 tangs make noise also. I have yet to have it bother a shot I was going to take. The only person who has ever mentioned that it was noisy was my son and law this thanksgiving when we were hunting mulies in montana and he was getting ready to shoot a good sized mulie and he was taking longer than I thought he should be. So I slipped the safety off and he later said he knew he had better shoot or I was going to.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've unzipped a jacket, opened up candy wrappers, stepped on a stick, walked thru the jaggers with them ripping on my coat, dropped the binos, scrapped leaves and snow away for a place to stand a spell, taken the safety off a Model 70 and who knows what else. All to look up and see a Deer realatively close; either feeding or walking along. Sometimes looking at me also. Perhaps mounting to the shoulder would have sent them quickly away, but getting the safety off wouldn't have saved them.

Said it before, the wood isn't a closed library.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The "wing" safety on the M70, Kimber, etc... Is by far my favorite safety of all time. It's easy, time tested and idiot proof.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
I've unzipped a jacket, opened up candy wrappers, stepped on a stick, walked thru the jaggers with them ripping on my coat, dropped the binos, scrapped leaves and snow away for a place to stand a spell, taken the safety off a Model 70 and who knows what else. All to look up and see a Deer realatively close; either feeding or walking along. Sometimes looking at me also. Perhaps mounting to the shoulder would have sent them quickly away, but getting the safety off wouldn't have saved them.

Said it before, the wood isn't a closed library.

Same here, battue, and by the way, hello! Hope life is good in your camp.

But though I have also seen deer be remarkably oblivious, I've had it go the other way as well.

My private land honey hole, now sadly defunct, was a great testing ground for hunting deer really close. Deer densities were high and the terrain and vegetation were ideal (for that, haha). The .358 M7 was built and scoped for that specific property and put many a deer in the freezer. Now it's dusty in the safe. I haven't hunted that way in years and might not get to again unless I seek it out. Frankly, in areas where deer densities are LOW, which would be most blacktail range, you could waste your life away sitting a trail and waiting. Or damn near. And, you'd gather little meaningful data on being close to deer because, well, you wouldn't be close to very many!

But for a decade or so there I was right there in 'em. While I can't/won't argue against your experiences, I do know what mine were, and a very loud wing safety that had an aggressive spring action would have sucked. It would be something I'd have to sort out on a rifle before I'd take it hunting- as is the desire of the OP. Why that's in the slightest bit controversial is beyond my ken. Seems like to fret over OTHER rifle details (some of them things I'd never lose sleep over) is de riguer here....?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just sampled a brand new Win 70 in 270 at my local gun shop because of this thread. Holy cow that Safety is loud! It makes more noise between the detents than my pre 64's do when you flick it off to Fire. The spring loaded click during let off is LOUD! The trigger was nice though, very nice! There was a used Classic in 270 WSM that had the typical M70 Safety and a lawyer influenced trigger of at least 8 pounds, probably much more so!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff,

Welcome back Koter. Hope the head is doing ok.

Yes experience differs. I've mentioned it before, but I shot a bedded Buck at 3-4 big steps. Looked down and there he was a little below me. Don't remember how the safety went off. Good chance I slammed it forward, placed the x on his neck junction and hit the trigger. He never had a clue. Admittedly an exception of probably one.

However I would have no idea, other than it is a lot, on how many Deer I've pushed a Model 70/Kimber style safety off on. None yet have spooked. From close to where they may have a chance to hear, and out there where it obviously makes no difference. I've slipped off easy and pushed it quick. In fact most times I have little memory of how I did it. It just happens if it is an obvious shooting opportunity.

Did flip it off once on a Red Fox and that perked it up more than a little.

This year I left a pop-up blind to take a leak. Went back in; looked out and there were two Doe staring at me around 50. They finally let it go and went to feeding. Move thru the wood more than a little and you will make much more noise than pushing off a wing safety. Yet often you catch them before thay catch you. If they are out a way-and not all that far in my experience-the sound of the safety is just another wood noise.

Addition: Others can not agree with me, but if I have Bob and Brad thinking the same, I'm not going to worry all that much. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks man. Head is what it is. Got 90-something percent back; have adapted from there. Forward!

There's probably more cases that happened as you describe, than as I did, in my own experience as well. But the others stick with me. And, just the simple process of getting a rifle sorted fully would dictate- for ME- dealing with a truly loud safety in some fashion, whether in software (practicing a way to release it quietly) or in hardware.

On that note- it would appear from comments that the FN M70 safety is one loud mutha, which may be particularly true in a glass stock like the EW. I've only handled a couple (and I liked them a lot) but dredging back into my busted up memory I'm thinking I noted that as well. In FACT.... we may have done this exact rodeo a few years back! grin

Well, I hope the OP finds a solution that works for him. We may disagree on the validity of the worry, but I think we all can relate to having something about a rifle just bug the [bleep] out of you. It's like a chipped tooth. Can't leave it alone.

Edit for your edit: I like Brad & Bob more than they'd probably prefer <g> and can respect their experiences and opinions. But OCD rifle loons should have just a little EMPATHY for the other guy..... grin....

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/14/15.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only M70 is uber quite. It's an old ass one with the goofy "backwards" safety.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

More like voice of inexperience, as is your own. And don't give me any of your shyt that I don't know what I'm talking about. My walls aren't covered with whitetail antlers because I don't know WTF I'm talking about you overeducated ,pompous twat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

More like voice of inexperience, as is your own. And don't give me any of your shyt that I don't know what I'm talking about. My walls aren't covered with whitetail antlers because I don't know WTF I'm talking about you overeducated ,pompous twat.

LMAO.

And "yes" you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You bet your azz.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

LMAO.

And "yes" you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Yeah lotsa geniuses like you here that know more about firearms than I do too, despite the fact that I make my living building, customizing and repairing the goddam things 40-50 hours a week, 50 weeks of the year and have for quite some time. You're just fuggin' amazing I tell ya. Maybe I aughta start tutoring you on case law. After all, this is the internet and everybody;s a goddam expert on everything here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Brad, agree with my Rem's. Piece of cake and hardly any movement required.

If my Kimber safety snapped forwards as aggressively as the OP's EW it would be a bummer... If I hunted thick stuff with it I mean. It's where that wing is located. It has to do with taking the hand out of firing position, and a bunch of excess movement, if you have to ride it forward. Neither is a good thing. Insurmountable? Of course not. But in the interest of wanting to get a rifle "right"- and I know you are as guilty of that anyone here, lol- for a guy to want to quiet a really loud safety is totally legit.
Absofugginlutely ! And I know an estate game manager in the UK who is required by contract to kill several hundred deer [roe, red, sika, and muntjac] per year who absolutely, 100% agrees with you and I on this. Perhaps he knows almost as much as Bob ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's an angry elf..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wasn't gonna say anything.........grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Leave the gun off safety and bolt open. Close the bolt when your ready to send it

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not speaking to/about the newer Winchesters.

But just for something to think about... spend some time hunting with a single action revolver or a pre safety lever action. You need to learn how to cock that hammer and not spook game. Manipulating a Winchester/Ruger or Kimber safety is relatively easy in comparison.

On a new to me bolt action I do oil the the safety mechanism during my initial shakedown and work them in as needed.

During a hunt I normally can ease the safety off unless I'm caught off guard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blackheart let me ask you a question. How many deer have you shot with a M70?

Or did you try and scare them all away? grin

Spare me the insults....I've been called worse by lots better than you. Your idea of "overeducated" would be anyone who made it past third grade. At that, I'd have serious doubts about you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting discussion grin
Not a fan of a winged safety but not a hater either. I've had a few still have one m77 mk11. The way I hunt often requires being silent and remaining silent when its time to shoot. I can make the safety on a 77 pretty much silent by grabbing it with finger and thumb and rocking it forward instead of just flicking it forward and letting it land on its own.

Having said that I like the safety on a rifle on the tang where God intended it. This probably has to do with my first gun being a single shot Winchester 20 ga. 2nd nature, no noise as fast as it gets. My preference but not a deal breaker if its not so set up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...... Absofugginlutely ! And I know an estate game manager in the UK who is required by contract to kill several hundred deer [roe, red, sika, and muntjac] per year who absolutely, 100% agrees with you and I on this. Perhaps he knows almost as much as Bob ?

I don't believe a word of it...those estate deer must be as hard to kill as those dopey NY dinks you hunt. grin

Figures you'd run to the sanctuary of someone else's experiences rather than your own. Regal me with how many NY fork horns you waste per season.

Wonder how I killed two mature bucks this year inside 100 yards? One looking at me in timber at 50-60 yards. How'd he end up dead so fast? Either he was deaf, or I'm a really fast shot! shocked

But of course those are the first ones....I never killed any deer at all at close range...scared them all away with M70's...Blackheart you'd be hilarious if you were not so pathetic and foul mouthed. laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK so the answer is ....NEVER....and NONE! If I am herring you correctly you have NEVER killed a deer with a M70. Would that be correct!

OTOH, I have....lots of them.

SO tell me HTH do you KNOW that M70's safeties spook deer at close range?

Answer ( let me help you here!!!)....you DON'T KNOW. Because you have never used them. You "assume",but don't "know". You extrapolate from your vast "experience" on all those NY deer....but again you really don't "know".

And don't call me "Bob"...that's my name. It's reserved for civil people whom I happen to like. You don't fit.

You can continue to refer to me as a Twat or Pompous. Thanks.

Gawd I've had more intelligent conversations with my grandkids. The oldest is three..... smirk

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OK so the answer is ....NEVER....and NONE! If I am herring you correctly you have NEVER killed a deer with a M70. Would that be correct!

OTOH, I have....lots of them.

SO tell me HTH do you KNOW that M70's safeties spook deer at close range?

Answer ( let me help you here!!!)....you DON'T KNOW. Because you have never used them. You "assume",but don't "know". You extrapolate from your vast "experience" on all those NY deer....but again you really don't "know".

And don't call me "Bob"...that's my name. It's reserved for civil people whom I happen to like. You don't fit.

You can continue to refer to me as a Twat or Pompous. Thanks.

Gawd I've had more intelligent conversations with my grandkids. The oldest is three..... smirk

Actually I did kill one with my model 70 Bob. Don't need to kill a shytload with it to know the safety is loud enough to spook close range deer if you just flip it off with your thumb. How ? Because it's every bit as loud as my 870 or mini 30 safety and those will definitely spook close range deer. BTDT. Oh yeah, and there have been alot of those NY deer that have met their demise at the muzzle of my guns. From now on I'll just call you pompous dickhead cause that's what you are.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
...... Absofugginlutely ! And I know an estate game manager in the UK who is required by contract to kill several hundred deer [roe, red, sika, and muntjac] per year who absolutely, 100% agrees with you and I on this. Perhaps he knows almost as much as Bob ?

I don't believe a word of it...those estate deer must be as hard to kill as those dopey NY dinks you hunt. grin

Figures you'd run to the sanctuary of someone else's experiences rather than your own. Regal me with how many NY fork horns you waste per season.

Wonder how I killed two mature bucks this year inside 100 yards? One looking at me in timber at 50-60 yards. How'd he end up dead so fast? Either he was deaf, or I'm a really fast shot! shocked

But of course those are the first ones....I never killed any deer at all at close range...scared them all away with M70's...Blackheart you'd be hilarious if you were not so pathetic and foul mouthed. laugh

I killed a nice 8 point at 8:15 am on opening day this year Dickhead. Killed two does the following weekend and was tagged out. Hunted a total of 3.5 hours for the 3 deer. None were as far as 100 yards. That's long range to me and I rarely need to shoot that far. Kill a few more at spitting distance and get back to me on loud safeties.. Talk about pathetic. You're the very definition.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Someone should just close this thread. No idea how this turned into all the name calling and juvenile posts. 56 responses and the vast majority had absolutely nothing to do with my question of how to quiet down the safety. I realize it is not that big a deal but if someone has worked on the safety and smoothed it out I would've like to try it out.

Interesting that one of the most outspoken on this thread mills out the bottom of Talley lightweights, which has absolutely ZERO benefit from a functionality standpoint yet he posts 7 times to this thread and nearly all include some dim-whitted sarcasm or insult. That said, they do look cool and I'd probably buy a set if I had a Tikka but I guess I'd be called an idiot again because they would not have any real world impact on my hunting success.

Last edited by mikestaten; 12/14/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy chit mikestaken, look what you caused... Should have just greased it up and not tell anyone.. That's what most guys do here anyway... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps 15 yards away looking at me. (Correction: facing away.)

[Linked Image]

Another around 15-20 feeding facing.

[Linked Image]

Neither one had a chance. Nor would they with an 870.

Of course you can improve your chances when it all happens at once.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester M 70 7x57,he did not hear the safety. Though he was about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 .243 win,these two coyotes never heard the safety either. They were about 83-84 yds away. Even though both of them were shot looking at me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Holy chit mikestaken, look what you caused... Should have just greased it up and not tell anyone.. That's what most guys do here anyway... laugh

It's crazy. I thought my initial question was fairly benign. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue, that's cheating. Your rifle is 62 years old and well broken in... I'll bet you that safety works like greased owl chit on a slick rock...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope, this question gets chewed on a couple times each year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
battue, that's cheating. Your rifle is 62 years old and well broken in... I'll bet you that safety works like greased owl chit on a slick rock...

Yea, but the second one is a re-barreled classic. grin

Addition: Actually the older one started sticking and this summer a Smith went over it. Now it is slicker than frog lips. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting that one of the most outspoken on this thread mills out the bottom of Talley lightweights, which has absolutely ZERO benefit from a functionality standpoint yet he posts 7 times to this thread and nearly all include some dim-whitted sarcasm or insult. That said, they do look cool and I'd probably buy a set if I had a Tikka but I guess I'd be called an idiot again because they would not have any real world impact on my hunting success.

The LW's are very quiet, and no they don't do anything but look a little cleaner.

I'm full of dim-whittled sarcasm. Ease up fella, its just guys talking schit. But a word of warning since you might be new:

If you rub Big Sticks belly, he'll love you til the day you die. He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood hits him, the best thing to do is just let him finish.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Around 20-25 with a Kimber. He was walking up hill. I was too at the time.

[Linked Image]

Just can't happen. crazy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 16bore

The LW's are very quiet, and no they don't do anything but look a little cleaner.

I'm full of dim-whittled sarcasm. Ease up fella, its just guys talking schit. But a word of warning since you might be new:

If you rub Big Sticks belly, he'll love you til the day you die. He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood hits him, the best thing to do is just let him finish.

I thought Stick rubbed his own belly then loved himself til the day he dies....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't run around with round in the chamber so I wouldn't know how loud my safety is on my EW.... Or any of my model 70's

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mini 30? Now that's a quality item Clark.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, I like my m1917 safety the best but somehow managed to learn how to use a wing safety... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Uh.... isn't an EW one of the new, FN M70's? Different machine than all these old M70's and Kimbers and whatnot.

Plus, it's in a glass stock. Tap a glass stock with a pencil. Now tap a wood stock. Yeah....

I think the OP's rifle has a REALLY LOUD SAFETY!!

Can't we all give his question just a little respect and, y'know...... get along?

No? Ok, cool. Carry on! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
He's an angry elf..
Must be from the South Pole...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, nice bucks there!!! Hunting out west, I mostly never chamber a round until I see my game... Hunting in the east, often on a stand, I do.. But I always eased the safety off. Never just flicked and let it go.. Little noise that way..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This has been a great read. Never knew safeties were so troublesome to a few folks. Or that some could get so worked up over them. Just WOW!

I killed a buck a few years back with my M70 (in 270 Win no less) at a whopping distance of 6 paces. He never heard me flick the safety off or if he did, he didn't care. Maybe he was hard of hearing?

Now, if you want to talk about LOUD safeties, lets talk about Ruger 77s. shocked Oh wait, I don't have any trouble with them either. wink

Go figure. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The deer in your pics don't prove the next one won't hear it and bolt. Alot depends on conditions {wind, rain, background noise eg cars, planes etc or dead still silent) and the demeanor of the particular deer. Please don't try to tell me it doesn't happen because I've seen it personally. I like all of my equipment to be quiet at spitting distance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Winchester M 70 7x57,he did not hear the safety. Though he was about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 .243 win,these two coyotes never heard the safety either. They were about 83-84 yds away. Even though both of them were shot looking at me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No shyt ? 80 - 100 yards ain't even close to "close range". You could just about dance a jig while whistling zippidy doo dah and they wouldn't hear you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't read the entire thread; but, short of a little lubrication and working it repeatedly, probably not. It seems you have already discovered the most preferred and functional method with two fingers.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/15/15. Reason: Corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No shyt ? 80 - 100 yards ain't even close to "close range". You could just about dance a jig while whistling zippidy doo dah and they wouldn't hear you.
Well then,the Winchester safety is not that LOUD after all. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The deer in your pics don't prove the next one won't hear it and bolt. Alot depends on conditions {wind, rain, background noise eg cars, planes etc or dead still silent) and the demeanor of the particular deer. Please don't try to tell me it doesn't happen because I've seen it personally. I like all of my equipment to be quiet at spitting distance.

At "spitting distance" the odds will always be in my favor when they don't have time to react to the sound. Even if they can hear it. With all the Deer you have shot, you should have figured it out by now. wink

Last edited by battue; 12/15/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there going to be a group buy for safety silencing work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was young I had deer snap to attention when I thumbed back the hammer on a .30-30. A smart buck wouldve bolted.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And then you either were taught or figured out that by putting slight pressure on the trigger (while pointing the muzzle in a safe direction) that hammer could be pulled back with nary a sound I'd bet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods_walker
And then you either were taught or figured out that by putting slight pressure on the trigger (while pointing the muzzle in a safe direction) that hammer could be pulled back with nary a sound I'd bet.

You would be correct.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

At "spitting distance" the odds will always be in my favor when they don't have time to react to the sound. Even if they can hear it. With all the Deer you have shot, you should have figured it out by now. wink
With all the deer I've shot I may just have seen a few things you haven't. If you think deer can't react quick enough to take things out of your favor, you sure haven't seen everything. Sometimes they're only one jump from cover that will obliterate any chance for a shot opportunity. I've seen them have time to react to the sound of bowstring "twang" quick enough to duck a 300 fps arrow from 50 ft.. That's fast.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes it can happen and you obviously haven't seen it all.

For the hand can be quicker than the eye or ear. Problem I see, is many think the safety take off is a separate event. It can be, but it also can be the same as shooting a shot gun. The Bird get up and the safety goes off with the mount.

It more like a quick draw contest with one obvious exception. The mind says yes, the mount is quick and the safety goes off on the way up. If the rifle fits and you have practiced not having to find the Deer in the scope; concern yourself with hitting the good stuff-which is the basketball Alaska Lanche referred to, and not a specific hair-it happens before the sound of the safety going off reaches the Deer. It's over in a second, maybe less.

In a stare done situation, you either move first or let the Deer have the advantage. In which case your odds go down. If they don't know you are there, they're pretty much screwed if you know how to play the game.

You obviously haven't seen or done it all. Don't fret most haven't.

Forgot: Thank me later.

Addition: You are partially correct in that sometimes they will win. However, that often will be because they recognized you as a threat and made their move before you recognized what you are seeing. In which case again the sound of a Model 70 safety is irrelevant.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A few hundred rounds without ear protection seems to quite a new Winchester safety immensely. Like pre-64s, I think they must break in over time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've shot hundreds of grouse and pheasants with a shotgun. Thousands of running rabbits, both from in front of my hounds and jumped without the dogs. I've shot running deer with rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader. I promise you don't know anything or have any skills with rifle or shotgun that I don't know or posess myself. That includes how to cock a hammer or disengage a safety on the mount. I promise you can't mount and fire on a deer that has you pegged before they can react. If they bolt on a path that allows you time for a shot no doubt you can kill them on the dead run but if they're only one jump from a dense pine thicket you are screwed. What you are essentially saying is that if I am at full draw with my compound bow 50 feet from you and I trip the trigger on my release, you can mount and fire and hit me before my arrow reaches you. Quit fantasizing and get real.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it can happen and you obviously haven't seen it all.

For the hand can be quicker than the eye or ear. Problem I see is many think the safety take off is a separate event. It can be, but it also can be the same as shooting a shot gun. The Bird get up and the safety goes off with the mount.

It more like a quick draw contest with one obvious exception. The mind says yes, the mount is quick and the safety goes off on the way up. If the rifle fits and you have practiced not having to find the Deer in the scope; concern yourself with hitting the good stuff-which is the basketball Alaska Lanche referred to, and not a specific hair-it happens before the sound of the safety going off reaches the Deer. It's over in a second, maybe less.

In a stare done situation, you either move first or let the Deer have the advantage. In which case your odds go down. If they don't know you are there, they're pretty much screwed if you know how to play the game.

You obviously haven't seen or done it all. Don't fret most haven't.

Forgot: Thank me later.

I agree with all that. I have killed a number of deer like that, and it's why getting rifle fit and scope mounting (don't start! grin) is so important.

But I can think of a few instances where things just weren't like that. That happens too. When movement and sound were at an absolute premium.

And I guess I'm still a little puzzled why, in a forum where so much other rifle loonery gets a pass, this is so damn volatile a topic? Dude wants his rifle right! His reason for wanting that is perfectly reasonable.

I'll say it again: I suspect the OP has a rifle with A REALLY LOUD SAFETY!! I think that much of this sturm und drang would be moot if we were in a room together and passing that rifle around. I suspect we'd be saying, dayum! That's loud. And I have just a hunch that most of the posters here would want to rectify same.

I tried a quick search and didn't find it but I swear to GOD about 5 years ago we had this exact freaking conversation going. I remember handling an EW in a gunshop and being really surprised how loud the safety was, mentioning it here, and getting my [bleep] jumped. It's all coming back to me now. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now where do you get I said anything about your bow and me reacting to your trigger release. Read it again. Quit making stuff up. You do that a lot?

Now I will say, I can have a balloon in one hand and a needle in the other. The balloon will go bang before you can make any type of defensive move. Isn't much different than a quick move, mount, shoot.

I'm old, but I ain't slow on the reaction. You need to work on it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff,

The first Deer pic i posted I had blown a bleet call and he showed up. That Deer wasn't all that big and I decided to let him go. But I did take the safety off without much concern. He was looking at me and actually walked around me. I mounted the scope on him a couple times. He had other things on his mind. Finally I shot him.

The second was feeding. I caught him up ahead-didn't know what he was-but looped ahead and here he came. Decision was made and he never had the chance to even pick his head up.

With the third, he was walking up hill when I saw him. Kimber safety went off and again it was over.

The OP has every right to be concerned with how loud his safety is. However, when they are out a little way I seriously doubt it will cost him an animal. When they are close you best be quick and as mentioned not screw around. Move, release the safety with the mount and hit the trigger. You can't be screwing around finding him in the scope or worrying about hitting a specific hair. Practice on Deer you don't intend to shoot and he should discover it isn't all complicated to pull off. He also will find out that when done right, it will be rare for them to jump the safety. Along with the fact a bullet gets there much quicker than a what? 300FPS arrow. Anyone here ever hear of a Deer jumping the bullet? laugh

Addition: Also you have to try to have a chance of success. Given a chance, letting them make the first move will more often than not be a lost opportunity. I suspect a lot of Deer have won because of hunter hesitation.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I promise you can't mount and fire on a deer that has you pegged before they can react.

I have and could have done so this year if it was a Deer I wanted. I moved on a couple, the only thing left out was hitting the trigger. Sometimes you don't even have to be quick about it when they have the Deer in the headlights look and are trying to figure you out. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Technoman26
This has been a great read. Never knew safeties were so troublesome to a few folks. Or that some could get so worked up over them. Just WOW!

I killed a buck a few years back with my M70 (in 270 Win no less) at a whopping distance of 6 paces. He never heard me flick the safety off or if he did, he didn't care. Maybe he was hard of hearing?

Now, if you want to talk about LOUD safeties, lets talk about Ruger 77s. shocked Oh wait, I don't have any trouble with them either. wink

Go figure. grin

I agree. I've used some chitty safeties, the worst being a CZ452. That thing was a piece of chit. I've a 700 that dropped the pin when taking the safety off, twice, but never again. All were more than serviceable and besides the 700, could not imagine them costing me game..

The one that cracks me up is when folk need the same "platform" so they get used to a certain safety. As if pushing a lever or button is a exhausting mental exercise. crazy

Really?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've a 700 that dropped the pin when taking the safety off, twice

According to the Remington Zombies on this site that's not possible... even though the designer of the trigger (Mike Walker) said it's true... Se la vie...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

According to the Remington Zombies on this site that's not possible... even though the designer of the trigger (Mike Walker) said it's true... Se la vie...

We're zombies? Cool! I love zombies!

You know what's a good trigger on a Rem700? The new Timney Calvin Elite. It's at least as good as a Kimber trigger. I have the 1.5 lb version on my Lite. Not cheap but if you are a trigger geek it's really nice.

Edit: the Lite is the 7 WSM I built this spring.... not because it's light but because it's like a Sendero Lite. Short Zombie action, fluted Sendero-profile barrel but at 24".... and the same HS stock as a Sendero minus the gawd-awful palm swell.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/15/15.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, I've posted about it once or twice before. Ive heard the nay sayers. Whatever. No skin of my back.

Its yet to do it again, but that rifle doesnt get shot much.

Anyway, somebody mentiond the Enfield 17 safety. I guess if I had to pick, its one of my favorites.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mooner, I love your .sig!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I promise you can't mount and fire on a deer that has you pegged before they can react.

I have and could have done so this year if it was a Deer I wanted. I moved on a couple, the only thing left out was hitting the trigger. Sometimes you don't even have to be quick about it when they have the Deer in the headlights look and are trying to figure you out. wink

The buck I killed in Kansas last week was staring at me at 50 or so yards(might have been less I did not measure it),slightly quartering on,both of us down in the trees of a draw,me on foot. I raised the rifle and shot him with no conscious memory of slapping the (M70) safety off.

He reacted alright....he died after a short sprint.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/15/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The buck I killed in Kansas last week was staring at me at 50 or so yards(might have been less I did not measure it),slightly quartering on,both of us down in the trees of a draw,me on foot. I raised the rifle and shot him with no conscious memory of slapping the (M70) safety off.

Hey there Bob!

That sounds like another hunting memory, seared into your memory! Cool. I love hunting at shorter ranges.

That said, speaking for myself, when I said what did earlier, it was about MUCH closer than 50 yards.

I think a whole lot of my formative deer hunting was atypical. Hmmm.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Well quit shooting curious, stupid young deer and you'll find things can be different.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Hey there Bob!

That sounds like another hunting memory, seared into your memory! Cool. I love hunting at shorter ranges.

That said, speaking for myself, when I said what did earlier, it was about MUCH closer than 50 yards.

I think a whole lot of my formative deer hunting was atypical. Hmmm.

Reactions ARE much different from a deer at 30 feet than from 50 yards. They are conditioned by nature to uncoil like a steel spring from danger at super close range.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now where do you get I said anything about your bow and me reacting to your trigger release. Read it again. Quit making stuff up. You do that a lot?
Well if a deer can react quick enough to the release of an arrow from 50 feet to crouch and duck it and cause a high miss {I've had it happen myself SO DON'T try to tell me no} and you are saying it can't react to your superhuman {yeah right|, lightning fast mount then you are essentially saying you can mount and fire quicker than a 300 fps arrow can cover 50 feet. I'm not the one making shyt up. You are.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JeffO:

Well I guess 50 yards isn't close enough....how about a buck that dressed over 200# that I snow tracked and killed at 20-30 feet. With a M70. He was so distracted with getting back to the doe that abandoned him (due to my tracking) that I think you could have lit a bomb and he would not have been deterred.

Speaking of spooked deer both of those deer knew I was behind them since I'd been after them both for close to an hour at that point. They were thoroughly spooked and on Red Alert....heard a million times you can't kill them that way either because I'm not a Benoit LOL .... smirk

Not ragging on you just making a point.

Mention using a M70 at close range around here and you get a caucauphany of cackling from some quarters who think they're the only ones who ever killed a deer at a few feet.

Like Brad said it's one of those things that might matter once in three Blue Moons.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well if a deer can react quick enough to the release of an arrow from 50 feet to crouch and duck it and cause a high miss {I've had it happen myself SO DON'T try to tell me no} and you are saying it can't react to your superhuman {yeah right|, lightning fast mount then you are essentially saying you can mount and fire quicker than a 300 fps arrow can cover 50 feet. I'm not the one making shyt up. You are.

Quick obviously isn't one of your strong points.

Addition: Thinking about it-it does help-I'd be willing to bet, you with a bow and myself with a rifle, both in the down position, I'd flip the safety off and have a shot on the way before you could draw bow, aim and release. I've watched the average person draw a bow and get ready to shoot. It is far short of quick relatively speaking. On top of that I will beat you on the subsequent shots while you are getting another arrow in ready to launch.

Admittedly I've also seen trick bow shooters who are amazingly fast. So I definitely wouldn't win every contest. wink

Also don't bow hunt, but have watched enough videos to know every Deer doesn't duck the arrow. Some never move until they feel the cut.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/15.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have all M70's except for 1 Rem 700 (and a couple of lever guns).. I wouldn't want any other safety and constantly have to talk myself out of not changing the 700 over to the same.

From NY to Oregon I have hunted close and far and the safety is either flicked off or if it closer type shooting I move it forward pinched between two fingers.. Maybe I am missing something?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are missing nothing. As someone else mentioned it isn't hard to use any of the different ones and a well made tang or Rem 700 style on whole are quieter, if one thinks it matters all that much. Some of us do not.

Myself I would prefer a tang if it was large and made to be smooth. Other than older Rugers I can't get it in an American made rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get that this thread has done the classic Campfire-morph into a mudball fight about safeties in general and even (coming soon!) rifle action types and (maybe if we luck out) enclosed v. open trigger designs..... and that there's a "it doesn't matter anyway" contingent...

..... but just out of curiosity, how many here are speaking from experience with the new, FN-built, Winchester EW?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey, throw in the MRC model 70 clone while you are at it and really stir the pot. grin

Have one of them and it has the traditional louder than normal safety; in addition it has the old school model 70 trigger. A little heavy in Model 70 tradition, but close your eyes and there is little difference. Give me a choice between todays 70 and the MRC and I would lean towards the latter.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you can't manipulate a safety without making noise, God help you.

You're one of those who likes making simple schit hard...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, with that CRF action, and open trigger, and even WITH the loud safety, you should be able to kill deer! With the rifle upside down. While cycling it. On the beach. In the blowing sand. At close range. As long as you upgrade to a bulletproof SWFA scope. And use a TSX (or are they passé here now?).

smile

Battue, I think I'd really like where/how you hunt and vice versa. Well, with that said, the High Desert Mulie bug has bit me, and my next blacktail tag will likely be hunted more as a long range affair than an uber-short range like in the past. But when the night closes over my abbreviated hunting career (I didn't start till ~ age 35) those memories of very close range hunting will burn strong. Being 25-30 feet from an alert shooter buck, heart trying to explode out of my chest, blood-dimmed tide roaring in my ears, much-needed IQ points sluffing off in droves as the adrenaline kicks in.... grin.... trying to find a way to get the feet positioned, rifle up, safety off, and Butler Creeks flipped (they can be noisy too) without blowing it all up........ good times plus-P!

Edit: Mr. Moses! Good to see you sir. How's things?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/16/15.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow. Now this is a thread worthy of the 'fire...

I've killed dumptrucks of deer at 50 yards or less with Remmys, M70s, MKIIs, SA revolvers (click), a Marlin lever (hammer click), muzzleloaders (hammer click) and never had a deer bust out due to the subtle noise. I've used two fingers on "wing" safties and dumped Remington safties with a thumb. Never had an issue.

Guess I'm lucky. Just sayin'...

Op: YES! you can quiet the safety down if you choose not to ride it or use two fingers... Polish up the detent/break the edge. It's a simple thang. It will also help to fill the (hollow) stock with that foam chit you can buy at the hardware store. Same stuff that I use to fill in the cracks between the boards of my outhouse (eliminates drafts).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd rather have them a little further away and in the open a little more and most times it works out that way. Standing still is nice also. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

It's not a matter of "can't" it's a matter of there's just no reason to bother when there are other rifles with quiet safeties.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know what's loud? First hunting shot of the year sans hearing protection.

Was lying prone for that this year with a big rock to my left. Sound bounced off and WHAPPED my left ear. I was listing heavily to port for while.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff is back.

Ever watched a vehicle slowly slide on the ice toward the Abyss?
You act like you are covering your eyes......but you can't look away.

Christmas came early.
Thanks, Santa.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's quite a bit more painful than that...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I want to know is who carries hot?

.308 or .7-08 "post your load"

Blue or Black muzzle tape?

If you carry hot with your safety on with blue tape which is gonna scare the deer first the safety or the blue tape?

And if you have a chambered round and fill your barrel with water and then stick the muzzle in your mouth and blow will water bypass the chambered round and get into the action?

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
Jeff is back.

Ever watched a vehicle slowly slide on the ice toward the Abyss?
You act like you are covering your eyes......but you can't look away.

Christmas came early.
Thanks, Santa.

Had to get my dose of snarky little deskridden shopkeeper piss ant angst for 2015. Knew I could count on you, Spuds.

Go Idaho!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I still haven't figured out why it is difficult to put your thumb on top of the wing and ride the safety off quietly. I've done it for three decades or so. I figured it out when I was 14, with my first rifle.

But this does make for funny reading! And makes me very nervous to be in the woods on public hunting ground with others around.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I still haven't figured out why it is difficult to put your thumb on top of the wing and ride the safety off quietly. I've done it for three decades or so. I figured it out when I was 14, with my first rifle.

But this does make for funny reading! And makes me very nervous to be in the woods on public hunting ground with others around.

Just be thankful you don't live here in Oregon. You never know when JeffO is going to do another shoot thru the brush at targets thread.... laugh.. Oh well, at least I'll hear him when he flicks the safety off or when he's cussing because he can't get the nosler box open... laugh

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

I have one, there are plenty ways around a noisy safety in the presence of game... just saying.

Just fake a cough to cover the sound of the safety. The deer will never notice you flicking it off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Just be thankful you don't live here in Oregon. You never know when JeffO is going to do another shoot thru the brush at targets thread.... laugh.. Oh well, at least I'll hear him when he flicks the safety off or when he's cussing because he can't get the nosler box open... laugh

Funny- I'd forgotten about that brush test until the other day I got a new iPhone and it reorganized all my pics.... I was scrolling through and was like, WTF are these pictures of targets in bushes?! Oooohhh... right.

The results were interesting. Predictably, if you challenge a common assumption, it upsets people. I think that goes quadruple here. Quintuple. Octuple. Kazillionatuple. smile

That %#£€! Nosler box kicked my ass. Whadaya gonna do........... sometimes you get the box, sometimes the box gets you. It was funny some of the other people it got. Who were brave enough to admit it I mean. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jeff I highly doubt you've ever been close enough to a deer to hear the safety going off. Most likely you already fuggered chitt up and it was totally aware of your presence..

You voting for Clinton again?

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been close enough to deer to poke them with my rifle barrel and they never knew I was there. Ok, so THAT just happened once, but it was 3 deer. Momma and twins.... blacktail/whitetail hybrids in fact. Hint: a face net, like turkey hunters use, works wonders, as does holding perfectly still for a very long time as does really knowing an area (thermals) so you can set up your stand position well.

Near that same spot had a family of bobcats within 20 feet and for quite a while. They didn't know I was there until the weird-looking tree got tired of them and raised its finger from its rifle and said "boo!".

I've been very close to a lot of deer. Believe it or not, IDGAF. That's not me saying I couldn't kill them with a noisy safety. That's me saying, I can relate to the OP's concern.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just found this thread.

Hole

Lee

Fugk

Jeff,

You have the be the stupidest woman trapped in a dude's body currently walking the earth.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Oregon is about as close as I want him / her / it / that to me.

Sometimes I still have trouble believing what I see here.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I worry more about the wind direction than a loud safety. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
So last night after work I slid into the LGS and played with a few different M70 safeties. I tried a super grade, a compact fwt, and two extreme weathers, one of which I might buy. grin

If you can't make them go onto "fire" quietly, you shouldn't be handling a gun in the first place. ALL OF THEM I tried were easily manipulated quietly if you wanted them to be. All of them also "snapped" if you just flicked it forward.

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. But considering JeffO is participating, I'm not all that surprised. Did you get that box of bullets open yet?

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just bought a Ruger Hawkeye 257 Roberts. I'll probably scare them 2 sections away with that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't even remember a time when I flicked a safety when I saw a deer. Chamber a round, and kill it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

It's not a matter of "can't" it's a matter of there's just no reason to bother when there are other rifles with quiet safeties.

And in walks stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damnit I posted once wasn't that enough to kill this thread

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
B

This thread is a few yrs old but questions regarding the model 70s 3 position safety have been asked on several forums without receiving many good answers. I'm not sure this is even a good answer but it can help you pretty much silence your safety. I’m not a gunsmith or anything but have spoken with a few about it as I’ve owned a model 70 for over 20 yrs and just purchased another earlier this yr.

Apparently the safety works by a spring plunger/rod that detents in one of two circular divots. It can be made a bit quieter by either polishing the end of that rod or I believe filing it down. The latter as I’m told is a bit tricky and hence many gunsmiths don’t want to deal with it because the safety on these guns is directly linked to the trigger is such a way that if the safety is filed down the trigger must be adjusted and in the end it can be more trouble than it’s worth.

All that being said, I’ve always quieted mine by using two fingers (as you mentioned) and adding a little upward pressure as I slowly move it forward. This little bit of lifting pretty much silences the sound on both my rifles. Conversely, adding downward pressure makes it louder.

Hope that helps.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would not risk removing material from the safety. If your ham fisted you can make any safety loud. Exercise a little finesse and you will be fine and noise free.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/28/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If the resistance / noise is coming from the detent ( ball in a partial hole), perhaps you can break the edge of the hole ( slight bevel, or use an abrasive round stone in a drill about 25-50% larger diameter than the detent hole. If your detent is not a sphere, but a rounded rod, try stoning a flatter , larger diameter contour on the end of the plunger/rod. If it DOES have the elongated rod plunger ( and not a sphere), I’ d stone that piece first to a slightly flatter / larger diameter round, and not alter the detent hole itself. If you screw up, the plunger rod is cheaper to replace. Start there.

I did this ( slight bevel added to detent HOLE in the spring steel) with a very stiff tang safety on a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, when I replaced the plastic tang button with an aluminum one. It has a sphere on a piece of spring steel under the tang button, not a rounded rod/plunger. Worked great. Use the smallest “ next larger round abrasive stone” first, and test it. If you go too large too fast, you put too much angle on the bevel, and don’t get a positive detent.

If the resistance is coming from the engagement of the safety on the cocking piece, you may need to stone the rotating edge of the safety to have a smoother transition. Polish and lube it to test.

Could be a little of both. Ball/detent hole angle and safety/ cocking piece contact angle. Go slow and test often.

Last edited by buttstock; 10/28/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
14 + pages on the audible safety click. Geez.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many commenters have not physically handled a M70 EW from the era in question and are basing their comment on their experience with older M70 or Kimber safety's. The EW in question has a LOUD safety. Imagine taking a metal rod and rapping a fiberglass stock smartly. It's that loud. And, at least the couple I played with, the spring pressure was such that to "ride it forward" as one can (and I do) with say a Kimber doesn't really work. It really wants to snap forward.

Insurmountable? Hardly. But we tend to want our rifles "right". And this isn't.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many commenters have not physically handled a M70 EW from the era in question and are basing their comment on their experience with older M70 or Kimber safety's. The EW in question has a LOUD safety. Imagine taking a metal rod and rapping a fiberglass stock smartly. It's that loud. And, at least the couple I played with, the spring pressure was such that to "ride it forward" as one can (and I do) with say a Kimber doesn't really work. It really wants to snap forward.

For flocks sake, give it up. I’ve had several EW’s from the first year production. If you can’t make that safety work, a box of bullets is insurmountable.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

For flocks sake, give it up. I’ve had several EW’s from the first year production. If you can’t make that safety work, a box of bullets is insurmountable.

I guess THC must have enhanced his hearing grin

I have owned a few Model 70s ,every iteraton of a 70 except a pre64(unfortunately) and for the life of me cannot believe that this is even a topic. I had one safety issue with a M70 SS 300 WSM where the "remington gunsmith" I brought my rifle to did not fix the timing on the bolt after he adjusted the trigger pull. It was almost impossible to move the safety. It is a beautifully designed safety, I guess all the custom shops that specialize in making 3 position safeties for other rifle brands must not know anything.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.