Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

a mark 6 is a very very expensive scope. one has to ask at this price point how is a scope like this getting out the door?!?! do they not test these before they leave the factory?

to all the fixed power leupold fans that say oh the fixed power leupolds work great. The test is conducted by one of the most creditable people out there. This is why serious people don't trust leupold. This is why people that know are sick of the problems. So before you go touting leupold as all that, you better look first. We have a fixed power "target" scope tested, we have one of their upper end scopes tested, and we have their highest end scope tested. All scopes failed at doing the one thing they were meant to do. Work in a competitive environment, No one can say these are set it and forget it scopes that are not being used as intended.

I finally gave up on leupold when a mark 4, ie leupolds cranking model would be off zero every time I went and checked the gun at the range. This was also after a trip back to leupold to fix the problem. it would fail and wonder zero. and be off as much as 6 inches high and 4 inches left. after cranking and using the turrets. since I have changed to nightforce I have not adjusted the zero on that rifle in the 2 years the scope has been on that gun. I have also used the turrets ALOT more .

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/13/15.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm a big Leupold fan, but I have not bought a VX6...a close friend who is an optics freak bought a couple of them, and he is not happy with them.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

a mark 6 is a very very expensive scope. one has to ask at this price point how is a scope like this getting out the door?!?! do they not test these before they leave the factory?

to all the fixed power leupold fans that say oh the fixed power leupolds work great. The test is conducted by one of the most creditable people out there. This is why serious people don't trust leupold. This is why people that know are sick of the problems. So before you go touting leupold as all that, you better look first. We have a fixed power "target" scope tested, we have one of their upper end scopes tested, and we have their highest end scope tested. All scopes failed at doing the one thing they were meant to do. Work in a competitive environment, No one can say these are set it and forget it scopes that are not being used as intended.

I finally gave up on leupold when a mark 4, ie leupolds cranking model would be off zero every time I went and checked the gun at the range. This was also after a trip back to leupold to fix the problem. it would fail and wonder zero. and be off as much as 6 inches high and 4 inches left. after cranking and using the turrets. since I have changed to nightforce I have not adjusted the zero on that rifle in the 2 years the scope has been on that gun. I have also used the turrets ALOT more .

I'm not a Leupold basher. I just know I've had more problems with them than any other brand. I've also had a Swarovski 3-9x36 that wouldn't track properly, so I'd have to say it happens to the best of them. Honestly, I'd much rather have a scope that I know is going to work and never have to go back to the factory for repairs. Even if those scopes are far less money than a good leupold or swaro. One that never has to go back to the factory and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (burris FFII, Zeiss or Nikon for example) has a lot of sex appeal to me as a hunter. Hell, some of the cheaper scopes I have work better than much more expensive Leupolds and those are what I consider throw away scopes...When they go tits up, chit can them. Simple as that... Good customer service doesn't do you a damn bit of good when you are away from home and out on a hunt..... Leupold lovers flame away:

[Linked Image]

I can already hear the Leupold lovers sniveling...Finally figured out what SLM is short for: Sniveling Little Man.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm not a Leupold basher.

Yea, right......

I can already hear the Leupold lovers sniveling...Finally figured out what SLM is short for: Sniveling Little Man.... whistle

I love it when somebody attempts to legitimize themselves by prefacing what they are about to bash........or flame.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i used to have 20 or more leupolds down to 4 or five. the only thing they have that works is the warrenty.

Ed

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1234
i used to have 20 or more leupolds down to 4 or five. the only thing they have that works is the warrenty.

Ed

I have 70+ Leupold currently in service and have only sent a couple of 1960s vintage 3-9x40 back for cleaning, due to lens coating flaking inside the scope.

I am not a turret turner, more of a zero 'em and leave 'em user.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'm not a Leupold basher.

Yea, right......

I love it when somebody attempts to legitimize themselves by prefacing what they are about to bash........or flame.......

Casey

But he has alot of creditability. And you should always trust a narrator who can't pronounce the name of the product being tested.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/13/15.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Ed

I have 70+ Leupold currently in service and have only sent a couple of 1960s vintage 3-9x40 back for cleaning, due to lens coating flaking inside the scope.

Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a Vari X 2-7 on a 7 mag for 20 years. I hunted it hard for 10 and it has never moved after initial zero. i don't crank on it though. I've also had a VXII 4-12 AO for maybe 12 years. It sits on a 22 RF and it tracks well going from 25-50-100 yards. Adjustments are precise and repeatable. Maybe these are the exception but I doubt it.

I'm not sure that the QC on anything since VXII changed to VX2 is as good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh boy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To the OP, this is a sample of 1, correct?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That's three scooes, however, I see dozens(s) a year. Nearly all get tested. The videos above are representative of Leupolds..... And most everyone else as well.

Plainly- They suck. Or more appropriately- they do not work correctly.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the error in travel consistent?

If the error is consistent and correctable with a modified drop chart I would think that would be fine for those who actually check the scope to begin with.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I sure hope Leupold get's things together. I sure do like their glass.

I wonder though cumminscowboy, which other scope would you suggest that tracks better?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Ed

Yup.

+3 with zero issues in 40 years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the point of the video is to show that a $300 SWFA smokes a Nightforce or something?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RDW
Is the error in travel consistent?

If the error is consistent and correctable with a modified drop chart I would think that would be fine for those who actually check the scope to begin with.

Unfortunately, no. Dead spots, flat spots, backlash, and failure to return to zero are all extremely common.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a turret twister, on everything. If you could be perfectly zero'd for whatever distance you're shooting RIGHT NOW, why wouldn't you? (I do actually understand why, I just don't want to hamstring myself like that.)

Did a little checking, looks like I sold my last Leupold over three years ago. Can't say I've been very tempted by them since. I can remember working hard to get Leupold's on all my rifles...

Empirical results rule!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sold my 2 Leopolds due to tracking issues. Both went back to Leopold 3 times each. When they came back, they would work for a while then crap out and not return to zero consistently. I got enough money for them to buy a swfa 3x9, and a good set of rings. A good trade.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kingston
To the OP, this is a sample of 1, correct?

Kingston,

I have experience using Leupolds in a professional capacity, and can attest that in the last 10 years there have been a TON of problems with Leupolds not tracking properly, and losing zero for various reasons.

I was issued both 2.5-10 MK IVs and fixed 10MK IVs and have seen a BUNCH of them with problems. Sadly the solution was often just to zero at a mid distance like 600 yards and then just do mil hold overs/unders.

There is very good reason why Leupolds continue to get replaced by NF, S&B, USO, etc. in the upper circles.

Their prices continue to climb and quality continues to spiral.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.