Print Thread
Hop To
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Headed down for a family vacation and want to spend a day on the water. After my experience in Cabo a couple years ago I figured I'd try to get some recommendations before booking.

Would like to target sailfish and Tuna.

Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We fished out of Los Suenos. In three days our party of 6 caught over 40 sails (and one dolphin that we took to dinner.)
Seems like we paid about 1500$ a day counting bait and tips for the mates and captain.

Costa Rica is indeed paradise. The fishing is not cheap but I bet you can't catch more sails many places in the whole world on a good day as you can in Costa.

You are going at a great time of year too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One of if not the best in Costa Rica
http://www.bushwackercr.com/

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This fellow seems to get plenty of action. Know him from The Hull Truth.
http://www.queposfishadventure.com/

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Would be helpful if you said what area of CR you will be staying the west coast emcompasses a lot of area

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My brother goes every year with his son and they always hammer the sails. I know he doesn't pay $1500. He's too cheap for that, but I know he catches a lot of fish.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Would be helpful if you said what area of CR you will be staying the west coast emcompasses a lot of area

We haven't yet decided that either. Just started researching. We're going to rent a house from VRBO and get a rental car so we were thinking central coastal area so the drive distance to more locations would not be as long. Any recommendations on other activities or the best areas? Was thinking a jungle river raft ride and the kids want to zipline.

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
We fished out of Los Suenos. In three days our party of 6 caught over 40 sails (and one dolphin that we took to dinner.)
Seems like we paid about 1500$ a day counting bait and tips for the mates and captain.

Costa Rica is indeed paradise. The fishing is not cheap but I bet you can't catch more sails many places in the whole world on a good day as you can in Costa.

You are going at a great time of year too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think you ever mentioned who you went with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
This fellow seems to get plenty of action. Know him from The Hull Truth.
http://www.queposfishadventure.com/

I know him THT as well. Thinking about a trip to Quepos in the near future myself.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He's an interesting guy who takes fishing seriously.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Several years ago we (2 families) stayed in Tamarindo and fished with Randy Wilson (boat-Talking Fish) and caught many sails. Several times that day we had triples and the kids caught as many as anyone. See about flying into Liberia, save a day each way. Great time, Pura Vida!-Muddy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Last December

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Had a great day fishing south of Flamingo with Skeet Warren on the Bushwacker a 42 ft Betram

Caught 6 Dorado a Blue Marlin and raised a few more fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever fish with Dream On Sportfishing?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hntr1
Headed down for a family vacation and want to spend a day on the water. After my experience in Cabo a couple years ago I figured I'd try to get some recommendations before booking.

Would like to target sailfish and Tuna.

Thanks

HNTR1;
I am headed to Cabo 3/8; tell me about your fishing experience there.
Thanks

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
We fished with Redrum fishing In cabo. While we caught a limit of Tuna (15) and Dorado (6)I had to argue with the captain several times about staying out to fish. I chartered the boat for the day and we had our kids with us and before we were even out of the marina the captain was telling me that we should just go right outside the marina to catch some small bottom fish for the kids. I had to tell him that he's taking us out for Tuna. When I booked the trip I specified it was for tuna with the owner.

We found tuna and after we caught a couple he told me that we should go in. This was after about a couple hours. This went on for the rest of the day. We did end up with some good fishing but the captains persistence with wanting to go in really took away form the trip.

http://redrumcabo.com/fishing/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hntr1,

February is too cold and windy for Baja even though water may be warmer this year. IMO Cabo Sux with their screw the Gringo attitude and that's why I went to LaPaz Fishermans Fleet three decades ago....but also too cold in February for good fishing.

Costa Rica or Panama would be my choices.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is first week of March to early to catch Rooster's in Cabo? don't care about the cost since someone else is picking up the tab. Heard there are guides that can put you on them in the surf?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call David Jones in LaPaz: 704-280-7160 ...early morning

Punta Arenas and Muertoes Bay hold most all the records for Pez Gallo [Roosterfish]......situated just South of LaPaz.

I had an old friend that fished Roosterfish only out of that area....probably 30-40 days a year.......he was known as "Rooster Bill".........he really caught some huge fish many of which were over the record as he had no interest in the record books. Several magazine articles on the guy.

Google on: Bill Mathias Roosterfish King

Last edited by VernAK; 01/20/16.
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
We settled on staying in the tamarindo area in CR. Contacted the recommended people in that area as well as playa flamingo. The home owner also recommended an outfit out of tamarindo called capullo.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tamarindo you will want Skeet Warren on the Bushwacker or Junior on the Game Fisher II

Skeet would be my 1st choice as a matter of fact if I could book a charter any where in the world with any captain CR and Skeet would be at the top of the list

https://www.facebook.com/BushwackerCR?fref=ts

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.