Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Taken from the Facebook page of a friend and former co-worker:

Wales has grown in population today by one, thanks to the awesome and well-trained health clinic workers, Molly delivered a fine and healthy baby boy here today, nearly a month early, because all flights had been canceled out of here due to our weather (expectant mothers usually fly to Nome and wait for delivery three to four weeks before the expected birth). Our cooks, Met and Chris, helped out since Molly is Met's daughter and Chris's niece. Thank heaven for babies AND awesome health care workers!

I know we should all live in cities of 50,000 people or greater, so spare the lectures on what's wrong with the many small places in Alaska. But feel free to add other anecdotes that might convey a bit of the "living" that is rather normal in the day to day. I won't bring up the fact that gas is still $6/gallon....... oops! laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[Linked Image]

Have to fly my gas out in a helicopter. 57 miles east of Denali at 2000 ft elevation. Running low on coffee creamer if anybody is in the neighborhood...

My gas station:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MountainMariner; 12/15/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gas is still $6/gallon

Imagine how much it would cost if it needed shipped to the moon. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I grew up 30 miles from the nearest town. I still miss it. There are too many people most places. Enjoy the serenity of your seclusion. I now live 3 miles from that same closest town; population 4500+

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MountainMariner

Have to fly my gas out in a helicopter. 57 miles east of Denali at 2000 ft elevation. Running low on coffee creamer if anybody is in the neighborhood...

Amazon is your friend...........or not grin

Originally Posted by Ozarker
I grew up 30 miles from the nearest town. I still miss it. There are too many people most places. Enjoy the serenity of your seclusion. I now live 3 miles from that same closest town; population 4500+

I have presently been an apartment dweller....into a second year of it in Fairbanks. I sure miss Alaska most of the time, or at least the Alaska I've known for better than half my life. Fairbanks sure is a different world. It just reminds me all the more that the 'good stuff', wherever it is, should never be taken for granted.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Amazon prime member in good standing, drone delivery is a fantastic idea. We had a moose bedded down on my landing zone upon arrival. Wonder how the drone would deal with that situation?

Last edited by MountainMariner; 12/15/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Running low on coffee creamer if anybody is in the neighborhood...

Funny! Better than running low on coffee...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Wales has grown in population today by one, thanks to the awesome and well-trained health clinic workers, Molly delivered a fine and healthy baby boy here today, nearly a month early, because all flights had been canceled out of here due to our weather (expectant mothers usually fly to Nome and wait for delivery three to four weeks before the expected birth). Our cooks, Met and Chris, helped out since Molly is Met's daughter and Chris's niece. Thank heaven for babies AND awesome health care workers!

I know we should all live in cities of 50,000 people or greater, so spare the lectures on what's wrong with the many small places in Alaska. But feel free to add other anecdotes that might convey a bit of the "living" that is rather normal in the day to day. I won't bring up the fact that gas is still $6/gallon....... oops! laugh

Fahq that. I have no desire to live in an urban area. I've spent the majority of my career in the bush villages. I'm about 5 years out from pulling the pin and I'm retiring to a community much smaller in population that the one I'm in now. The only difference is I'll have a paved road to make things convenient.

My post primary career life will probably be a rotating gig in...................you guessed it. Rural villages.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At least they have Facebook! laugh

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

At least they have Facebook! laugh

And they don't talk to the hospital in Nome via radio anymore. (I arrived in '82 which was the first year there was general phone service on many rural villages.) And the village generators ran on something other than 60 Hz during those hours in the day when it wasn't failing to operate. People have rejoiced recently for the monthly water/sewer billers being reduced from $250/month.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool pics.. Beware of Agenda 21, they have plans for us..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Amazing when gas is in the 1.20 range in areas here... the collapse of an economy is shortly behind at this rate though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool pics.. Beware of Agenda 21, they have plans for us..

I'm not familiar with it, please enlighten me.

FWIW, I grew up in a town of about 200 people and no stop lights. I'm now 45 and the town still has no stop lights. The largest town in my county only has two. It's not nearly as rural as some places in AK, but as previously stated, no cities/large towns for me. My thought has always been, if I can see you; you're close enough. If I can hear you; you're too close.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

My gas station:
[Linked Image]

Is this really your home or hunting camp? Looks like an awesome place to live. Beautiful country out there!

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Both home and hunting camp. Black bear, grizzly, moose, wolf, coyote, lynx, caribou, beaver, porcupine, grouse, ptarmigan, marten, etc etc.

Here is a small bull moose using my trail. Lots of moose and black bear. Too many black bear.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is that your chopper or do you have to pay someone to take you in and out? I didn't see any trucks, so I guess no roads other than snow machine?

The hell with the coffee and creamer, what the hell happens when you run out of beer?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Innanet via landline?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Beer is too heavy. Bourbon is the drink here. And I have line of sight to an ATT cell tower 8 miles away. Strong LTE connection. Solar to recharge everything. No truck or ATV access. It's either plane, helicopter or snowmachine. Still waiting on the creek to freeze over, maybe in another week or two I can make the 24 mile run to town.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My outhouse:

[Linked Image]

My neighbors outhouse:

[Linked Image]

As you can see I'm living large.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (10ring1, 426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 24 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,647
Posts18,533,769
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.