Print Thread
Hop To
F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
In my never ending quest to find the perfect binocular I have ventured far from the mainstream binocular market. The company name "Sightron" will carry little recognition for most birders but those in the US hunting population are very familiar with their optics' products as they have been producing high quality optics for many years. Admittedly, I knew next to nothing about Sightron other than to see occasional posts in reference to their riflescope products on 24hourcampfire. I never imagined that they produced binoculars not to mention one that I would end up trying.

What led me to them was a bit of a roundabout journey. Many evenings I surf ebay, amazon and various other places around the net in search of "good deals" on more well-known optics. You might be surprised though with what you find if you type in "8x42 or 8x32 binoculars" in a search engine or two instead of just typing "Nikon" or "Bushnell". It was just such a search that led me to find many of the other bins I have tried in the last three or four months.

That search did not initially lead me to the Sightron model referenced in the title of this thread. It actually lead me to the Vixen Foresta 8x32 DCF HR open-bridge model. I had considered buying them but $329 was a little steep for what I was looking for at the time. I did find a nice review of them over on allbinos.com which, in turn, led me to the Kenko version of them (Ultraview HP 8x32). $239 looked better than $329 plus the allbinos review of them was equally positive. I decided to order one. Sadly though, after I placed the order from Amazon, I was informed that they were out of stock with no mention of when they would be back in stock. I sat back then and considered my options.

I am not sure how that led me to the Sightron SII "Blue Sky" 8x32 but I did eventually find it. It appears to have all of the same specs and features as the other two and now the price was down to $189.99. It didn't appear to offer as aesthetically pleasing of an exterior as the other two but how does that phrase go about beggars and choosers.

So I ordered one and it arrived early last week. I have had plenty of time since then to give it a try and compare it to a variety of other binoculars I have on hand. In truth my expectations were not high because I have run into a variety of binocular "downfalls" that I have not posted here on the forum. I expected this to be just another journey out of the binocular mainstream. I was expecting average quality control and image quality along with mediocre handling. Boy was I surprised by what I received.

Let me start off with a rather shocking statement....this is currently the best overall 8x32 I have tried. Now, take a step back and consider what I just posted. I do not post this lightly and please do keep in mind that I do own the 8x32 Nikon SE and have owned the likes of the 8x32 FL, 8x32 Swaro EL, the 8x32 Meopta Meostar and the 8x30 Nikon EII. So, then you might ask how anyone in their right mind would consider a $190, non-ED, Phillipine made roof prism glass to be preferrable to all of these others? Well, there is an easy answer to that and a complicated one. The easy answer is price versus performance The more complicated one is that this binocular simply provides the best combination of optical performance, handling and quality control for the price that I have yet to handle. So then the question becomes how does it stack up to what I have on hand.

[Linked Image]

Well, I do have three 8x30-something porros and one other 8x32 roof on hand to compare them to. I am going to immediately dismiss the Celestron Nature 8x30, the Ultima DX 8x32 and the Dakota 8x32 Elite. Each is a fine instrument in their own right but only the 8x32 Nikon SE is direct competition to the Sightron SII 8x32. How can I make such a statement? Well the answer is fairly simple.....

Ergonomics:

The ergonomics for my hands are very close to perfect. This is an open-bridge design which means that it is very easy for your hands, and my hands in particular, to comfortably wrap themselves around this binocular. Hand placement is extremely critical in the perceived ergonomic comfort level of any binocular. With this particular design my fingers effortlessly slide between the hinges. I can even reposition my hand slightly to allow the pinky and ring finger to sit comfortably on the forward bridge connection for an even more stable image. This stability adds to the viewing comfort level of this binocular.

[Linked Image]

In addition to hand position the weight of this binocular plays a major role in the perceived comfort level of the handling of this binocular. It has a listed weight of 19 ounces which is average to slightly below average for most 8x32 roof prism models currently on the market. That isn't too unusual but then consider that the 19 oz is distributed over a 5 inch plus frame and you can understand why the binocular feels so light in your hands. The open-bridge design only further enhances this feel.

So, then the question becomes, is there anything not to like ergonomically about this binocular. Yes, there is one issue. Sightron chose to be employ a bumped-out extrusion for their nameplate near the eyepiece end of the barrel. This provides the only "less than perfect" feel to the binocular. Neither the Vixen nor the Kenko has this little "bump out" to the barrel so I would imagine the ergonomics on these two models to be even better.

[Linked Image]

In addition, though I do not find the eyecup edges to be objectionable a slightly more rounded design is more comfortable in my experience. This would be another area where one of the other two versions of this binocular might fare better.

[Linked Image]

How about focus?

Well I find the focusing speed to be ideal. It has very good depth of focus. The focus is smooth in both directions but just a tad stiff to be entirely "perfect" in my experience. However, I found something interesting that is often overlooked. When focusing to the far end of focusing knob range in either direction the focus comes to a very abrupt stop. You can almost feel the focus hit a metal "stop" in both directions. There is absolutely no "spongy feeling" in either direction. It is easily the most positive feeling I have ever felt in a focusing knob. The focus is also extremely precise. The image jumps out at you when you reach perfect focus and then it stays in focus for a decent distance as the focusing knob is turned in either direction. Translation? Excellent depth of focus.

Note: The focus is counterclockwise to infinity.

Now the fun part the......

Optical Performance:

Where to start? Well, as I mentioned, the image snaps wonderfully easily into sharp focus without having to move the focusing knob back and forth. There is no problem finding perfect focus in this model. The image itself is bright for an 8x32 model with very good contrast. Colors are very well represented, rich and well saturated. Not quite the equivalent of the 8x32 SE but above average in my opinion. I am going to attribute part of this to the slightly warm (red/purple) color bias of the image. As is often the case this is not readily apparent until you compare it with a binocular that offers either a neutral color representation or one with a cold (blue/green) bias.

The size of the sweet spot is larger than average. In casual use it almost appears as if it reaches very close to the outer edges of the image. Under careful inspection I would estimate the sweet spot size to be close to 80% of the image. The outer portion which is out of focus appears to be primarily field curvature as I can easily refocus the edges with a slight turn of the focusing knob.

As I mentioned the apparent sharpness is excellent. It comes exceptionally close to rivaling the 8x32 SE and the ZR 8x43 ED3. That genuinely surprises me as the this is a non-ED roof prism binocular. Color fringing is very controlled in the sweet spot and only marginally noticeable in the area of the image out of focus.

The field of view is advertised as 7.5 degrees (394 feet) and comparing it to the 8x32 SE this seems to be the case. This is certainly not the widest field of view in an 8x32 and should probably be considered "average" overall. The interesting part is when you couple this size of the field of view with the other aspects of the binocular's optical performance (size of sweetspot, CA control, etc...) the image is extremely relaxed and quite natural.

Another optical performance area where this binocular seems to shine is in its straylight control. I have tried to push this binocular under conditions which should force it to display some aspect of ghosting, flare or other straylight conditions and it excels. Internal baffling and design seem to be very well thought out and extremely effective.

[Linked Image]

Conclusion:

Is this binocular "perfect"? No, certainly not. However, it displays exceptionally high performance levels in just about every area I could think of examining. If it wasn't for that little "bump out" in the body I would almost call this binocular "close to perfect" in terms of the total package. One cannot overlook the most important fact and the one that separates it from just about any competition...the price. Finally, a wonderfully high-performing 8x32 binocular that truly anyone can afford.

Frank

Frank
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great review Frank!! But I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion they are made in the Phillipines.I was looking at getting a set of these and called Sightron to ask where they are made. I was told they are made in Japan

Last edited by 338rcm; 09/24/11.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great review and information, thank you for posting it.

Comparing the SII to Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars is a real test (I have two of them, btw) as the Nikon view is exceptional to my eyes. I prefer the Nikon SE (in good weather) to the Zeiss 7X42 Classics I bought at the same time as the first Nikons. In bad weather I use Zen Ray 8X43 ED, but tend to like the greater stereo effect of porro prism binoculars.

I've used my first SE pair so much that the rubber eye cups have started to split; but the view is still excellent and I used them yesterday on an antelope hunt. I loaned the Zen Rays to my son-in-law as he forgot his pair. I did not feel handicapped by using the almost 10 year old Nikons that now are my truck binos.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

Here you go...

[Linked Image]

As for whether or not it is optically as good as the SE, I agree, that would be pretty high praise. It is not the SE's equal but it is pretty good competition overall....and consider we are talking about a $190 roof here. That is what is really impressive.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Frank, Cant argue with that. What type of lens covers do the Sightrons come with?

If these SII Blue Skys are that good, makes me wonder about the SIIIs

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Great review Frank!! But I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion they are made in the Phillipines.I was looking at getting a set of these and called Sightron to ask where they are made. I was told they are made in Japan

The Phillipines is Japans' Mexico. Not that it isn't of good quality because Japanese companies have extremely strict QC when it comes to anything that they put their name on or allow into their country. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by brinky72; 09/25/11.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

Good question. I haven't used mine yet but will check when I get home later today.

On a related note I did order the Vixen and Kenko versions of this binocular for comparison purposes. They should arrive by the end of the week. I will compare the three and report on them afterwards.

Frank
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
thanks for this review. It prompted me to buy a pair of these binocs. And, so far I am real pleased. Very good quality for the money

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
By most accounts those SII's have set the bar for comparisons. Lots of field experience reported rather than folks just looking at specs.

Opinions read rather like the value Yosemites offer but at the tier two level.

Frank D- will be looking forward to your opinions.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/20/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too bought the Blue Sky SII 8x32 binos and used them on a recent Kansas flatland deer hunt and was impressed with the clarity of them along with the quick acquisition of intended object. Two thumbs up to Sightron!!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've been a big Sightron fan for years. They don't get the praise or hype alot of other companies get, but they sure make good stuff.

Frank D - I know this thread is a few months old, but I'd be interested in hearing how they compared to the others you listed.

F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
A few months old?

Try 4 years old. :-)

..and I still have the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32s. That says something for those of you that know me and how I once was with binoculars.

Which bins were you referring to about by making a comparison?

The only other binoculars I regularly use of that configuration are the Maven 8x30s. They slightly better the Sightrons in the area of field of view and apparent brightness but the Sightrons still get the nod for providing 95% of the Maven's performance all be it with a $180 price tag.

I did recently get my hands on a review pair of the Athlon Argos 8x34 that is giving the Sightron a run for the money overall. Price is around $165.

Frank
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Haha! I saw that it was bumped up but only noticed the sept date, not that it was from 2011! cool

I am looking for a small to mid size set. 95% of my hunting is in the woods, with shots less than 100yds typically. I've used a set of Nikon Travelites 8x25 for probably 15yrs. I really like them, though I know they aren't considered high quality by any stretch of the imagination. But they are very clear, super light weight and have performed great over the years for me.

I really want something light and realtively compact, but a step up from what I've had. I was told to look at the Vortex line, and obviously Sightron is in my sights also. Any others that you could recommend?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WV_Hunter1
Haha! I saw that it was bumped up but only noticed the sept date, not that it was from 2011! cool

I am looking for a small to mid size set. 95% of my hunting is in the woods, with shots less than 100yds typically. I've used a set of Nikon Travelites 8x25 for probably 15yrs. I really like them, though I know they aren't considered high quality by any stretch of the imagination. But they are very clear, super light weight and have performed great over the years for me.

I really want something light and realtively compact, but a step up from what I've had. I was told to look at the Vortex line, and obviously Sightron is in my sights also. Any others that you could recommend?

I follow(ed) Frank for a while here and elsewhere. He is, or at least was, the Charlie Sheen of binoc testing! I bought the Sightrons and some others at his recomendation and still use them as well. Killer bang for buck (just like the Yo's mentioned). He's knowledgable and a really straight shooter IMO/IME.

As for your question, hopefully he will chime in as I have been recently considering "upgrading" my small binos. I use the Bushnell Excursion ex 8x28 to fill the small woods hunting bino role. They are just a bit smaller than the leupold yosemite that I find I grab them more often despite the Yo probably having overall better optics.

The Bushnell Excusrion 8x28 is discontinued but they turn up for various prices between $40 and $140. I'd keep your eyes peeled maybe. They arent on the same level as the Sightrons, but they do "small, cheap, and pretty nice" really well.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by WV_Hunter1

I follow(ed) Frank for a while here and elsewhere. He is, or at least was, the Charlie Sheen of binoc testing! I bought the Sightrons and some others at his recomendation and still use them as well. Killer bang for buck (just like the Yo's mentioned). He's knowledgable and a really straight shooter IMO/IME.

As for your question, hopefully he will chime in as I have been recently considering "upgrading" my small binos. I use the Bushnell Excursion ex 8x28 to fill the small woods hunting bino role. They are just a bit smaller than the leupold yosemite that I find I grab them more often despite the Yo probably having overall better optics.

The Bushnell Excusrion 8x28 is discontinued but they turn up for various prices between $40 and $140. I'd keep your eyes peeled maybe. They arent on the same level as the Sightrons, but they do "small, cheap, and pretty nice" really well.

Thanks Crockett. That's pretty much what the Nikons are for me. And I feel they really are nice, given what they are. I have compared them to other similar size/style/price and they hold their own well. Thanks for the response.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I too bought a pair of these six months ago. I've spent the past year trying many different binoculars. I had been exclusively a porro user and sought to expand my horizons. I'm by no means a professional level reviewer, but to my eyes, for the money the SII 8x32 Blue Sky are phenomenal little binoculars. And, if it's important to you, their COO is an ally of the the US (Made in the Philippines). While it's all but guaranteed that, if you spend 10x more money you will get a better binocular, it's not guaranteed that, if you spend 3x you will get a better binocular.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
FrankD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I loved the last sentence of the post above. It perfectly describes the Sightrons. I would easily choose them over something like the Swaro CL 8x30. I even compared the Sightrons last spring to a pair of pre-SV Swarovski 8x32 ELs and thought the Sightrons actually offered better image quality in the areas of brightness, contrast and color saturation. Keep in mind that the Swaro was circa 2003 or so.

They are actually several binoculars at or under the Sightron's price point that I would recommend if you are looking for a lightweight high performing bin. None of them better the Sightron optically but all of them fit the bill when it comes to small, lightweight bins with very good optical quality.

On the other hand I do want to relate one experience this past hunting season. I only made it out for a handful of days during our rifle season this year. When I did go though I took a few bins out with me just for something to tinker with while I waited for a whitetail to go by. These bins featured two ED glass models retailing for $425 and $800 as well as the Sightrons and a pair of 6x30 Opticron Savannas (a Yosemite style bin with very good quality control and excellent coatings).

You guys might laugh at this but after several days of use I found the Opticron Savannas to be the best-suited for the type of hunting I was doing. Yes, the three others were better optical packages overall for a variety of reasons but the Savannas performed better because of the porro 3D effect, the increased depth of field, the larger exit pupil (in comparison to the Sighttons) and the wider true field of view. The lower magnification made it seem very natural to scan through the thick hardwood stand and track animal movements. Their light physical weight also made it fairly effortless to have them around my neck for hours on end.

Now keep in mind that the area I was hunting was fairly tight quarters. Average viewing distances were under 100 yards easily most of the time. I will include a panorama shot I took with my IPhone so you can see what I am referring to.

Hardwoods stand

Last edited by FrankD; 12/23/15.

Frank
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FrankD,
That looks like the view from my stand. I did some similar experimenting this Fall and I found myself wanting a light weight, compact, bright, crisp binocular with maximum "depth of field", basically the Steiner 8x30 Model 480 binos that I've used for years. Of the roofs that I had the Minox HG 8x56 BR were optically fantastic with a superb "depth of field", but they are huge and tiring to wield. I set out to explore alternatives to my tried and true Steiners, but have yet to find it. I look forward to the quest continuing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Great information as always...thanks

Originally Posted by FrankD
I loved the last sentence of the post above. It perfectly describes the Sightrons. I would easily choose them over something like the Swaro CL 8x30. I even compared the Sightrons last spring to a pair of pre-SV Swarovski 8x32 ELs and thought the Sightrons actually offered better image quality in the areas of brightness, contrast and color saturation. Keep in mind that the Swaro was circa 2003 or so.

They are actually several binoculars at or under the Sightron's price point that I would recommend if you are looking for a lightweight high performing bin. None of them better the Sightron optically but all of them fit the bill when it comes to small, lightweight bins with very good optical quality.

On the other hand I do want to relate one experience this past hunting season. I only made it out for a handful of days during our rifle season this year. When I did go though I took a few bins out with me just for something to tinker with while I waited for a whitetail to go by. These bins featured two ED glass models retailing for $425 and $800 as well as the Sightrons and a pair of 6x30 Opticron Savannas (a Yosemite style bin with very good quality control and excellent coatings).

You guys might laugh at this but after several days of use I found the Opticron Savannas to be the best-suited for the type of hunting I was doing. Yes, the three others were better optical packages overall for a variety of reasons but the Savannas performed better because of the porro 3D effect, the increased depth of field, the larger exit pupil (in comparison to the Sighttons) and the wider true field of view. The lower magnification made it seem very natural to scan through the thick hardwood stand and track animal movements. Their light physical weight also made it fairly effortless to have them around my neck for hours on end.

Now keep in mind that the area I was hunting was fairly tight quarters. Average viewing distances were under 100 yards easily most of the time. I will include a panorama shot I took with my IPhone so you can see what I am referring to.

Hardwoods stand

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have a set of SIIl 10x42 for the past couple of years and they are a great set of binos. Got them for sale for $325 and my buddy who has a set of Leica 10x50 was very impressed with them. Great glass for the money.

MAGA! This is the way!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.