Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
My outhouse:

[Linked Image]

My neighbors outhouse:

[Linked Image]

As you can see I'm living large.

Forerunner of the Porta-Potty.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can deliver creamer, but the catch is I get to stay a few days.

beautiful man, just beautiful, I'm as happy for you as a jealous man can be.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Here is a summer view

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Impressive!

Interested as to your overall infrastructure-- So water from the nearby stream and solar charging of your 12V lights, refrigeration, etc. Propane for cooking? Import all your food or do you have a root cellar and/or seasonal greenhouse? Cure meat from local game & fowl? Generator for 120V power tools? Cut and cart firewood for winter's supply?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yes.

Except no greenhouse. And I've never needed to use stream or lake water,roof water catchment/cistern system in the summer and melt snow in the winter. I do have a propane/electric refrigerator but rarely use it. I will be upgrading the 20 year old solar system soon. Then I will run a small freezer with that being used to make ice for the Yeti coolers and freeze meats. There is also a second small solar system on the workshop which powers lights and my shower sauna water pump. (Submersible bilge pump in a five gallon bucket that feeds the shower head) Also have an ATV shed with a 1984 Suzuki 250 with 460 miles on it. It was disassembled then flown out and reassembled on site. That is only able to go back and forth to the lake on the trail and almost to the float plane dock. Firewood is collected in winter when I'm able to tow the sled with the snowmachine. I do collect some in the summer but it becomes a huge manual labor task fighting alders and the terrain. Hills. Big ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MountainMariner; 12/20/15.
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It's a long 20 foot walk out onto my porch from my reloading bench to the 100 yard target. I also have a 25 yard set up near the outhouse. Then there is 500, 1000 & 1760 yard targets set out in the hills. Plus I have certain rocks I shoot at at various ranges.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice.

Where is this, exactly? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
North of Talkeetna. 57 miles east of Mount Denali.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Question was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but appreciate the answer. That don't suck and have to agree w/ 2L2Q on the happiness quotient.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hope to spend a few weeks in God's country before I can't.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks for sharing. You are definitely living the AMERICAN dream. Or at least mine.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
MM-
Much obliged for the edification. Use a JD tractor with a bucket to put up the winter's firewood in the summer months hereabouts. Doing the reverse as you are makes much more sense in your AO.

Use to frequent a dive charter service in Barkley Sound where the owner, a beloved, cantankerous Scot, built their remote lodge by hand. I was intrigued by his systems too. He also used a cistern to collect water from a seep in the cliff face behind the lodge. He and his bride also had a spectacular view from their porch.

Looking forward to more of your pixels & prose....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A bit of the wood collection effort this past week:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Looks like you're starting to nicely knock the new off that Stihl. *grin*

Do you find that the sap drops enough in winter to not have to season your firewood? Fortunately, have a big enough hunk of ground to clean up standing dead firs/alders and windfalls for 3 cords or so/year.

Enjoying the vicarious AK adventures....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
that is some awesome looking land,,jealous for sure...
And moose walking thru your front yard..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Montivigant

Do you find that the sap drops enough in winter to not have to season your firewood? .

No. (It's not hard to find spruce trees you can carry over your shoulder which are older than their bearer, or to find trees which pre-date the Mayflower at Plymouth Rock. Some of the wood can be pretty dense, not always inclined to drying fast.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do not see a cabin on google earth.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
Yes.

Except no greenhouse. And I've never needed to use stream or lake water,roof water catchment/cistern system in the summer and melt snow in the winter. I do have a propane/electric refrigerator but rarely use it. I will be upgrading the 20 year old solar system soon. Then I will run a small freezer with that being used to make ice for the Yeti coolers and freeze meats. There is also a second small solar system on the workshop which powers lights and my shower sauna water pump. (Submersible bilge pump in a five gallon bucket that feeds the shower head) Also have an ATV shed with a 1984 Suzuki 250 with 460 miles on it. It was disassembled then flown out and reassembled on site. That is only able to go back and forth to the lake on the trail and almost to the float plane dock. Firewood is collected in winter when I'm able to tow the sled with the snowmachine. I do collect some in the summer but it becomes a huge manual labor task fighting alders and the terrain. Hills. Big ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you build everything yourself or did you buy from the market? I assume it was built by you. Property taxes must be cheap lol. Only bad thing about living here would be if you got hurt cutting firewood or broke your back. Enjoy the picts keep em coming.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Everything was built already. No foundation issues because the cabin was anchored to the rock it's built on. The roof is cabled to the rock also. Taxes are $500.00 a year. Getting hurt would be an issue. Big issue if away from the cabin. I always carry first aid in my pack and have a decent sized kit in the cabin and lake box. I've had some pretty decent first aid training over the years and still need to keep my certification current, does me no good if I'm unconscious though. Spot Gen3 tracker goes with me all the time.

Here's a large moose posing 3 feet in front of one of my cameras:

[Linked Image]

A wolverine digging around where a hawk had eaten his kill several days prior:

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
MM,
Do you have a Plan B shelter should your cabin be damaged by snow/fire? I see a chimney in one of your out buildings. Also seen some in similar isolation have an insulated tent with a wood stove as an insurance policy.

Thanks again for sharing some pixels & prose.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,169 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.