Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Midway is having a bonus sale on First Lite merino wool base layers right now. I know Kuiu is having a 15% of sale coming up (Jan 10). I've never owned either brand of merino. I have seen some complaints with the Kuiu stuff - a bit scratchy, but none with First Lite. I'm leaning First Lite.

Also, as to sizes, I'm always right on the cusp of a medium-large. I have a 41-41.5" chest. Interweb reviews seem to indicate a medium in the First Lite base layers would be the correct call. For those that own First Lite - what say you?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I love my first light stuff. Size wise to me it runs small. Im an XL and thats what I ordered. After washing it shrunk considerably. So now its more of a large. Fits tighter, which is fine for a base layer but tighter then I wanted it. I will be ordering XXL next time for this reason. So maybe think about sizing up. Great stuff though. Real quality merino and very comfortable. Not scratchy at all.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got a hodge podge collection of Smartwool, Icebreaker, Minus 33 for first layer. All good. None are camo but I don't understand camo for base layers.

Minus 33 expedition weight 1/4 zip is one of my favorites in colder weather.

One FL top that I wear as an outer layer because I like the fusion camo for treestand hunting.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've been wearing First Lite and Smartwool for a few years, now. Both of those are like wearing cotton, as far as, how it feels against your skin. I've found it to be true to size.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just last week I partook in the Midway sale on the First Lite. Bought the LLano 1/4 zip top and Allegheny bottoms. With just the little bit I wore them I was impressed. Comfortable and no itching. I wear large and all fit pretty well to size.

If you're on the edge I'd say go large. And if they do shrink you're not going to lose anything by it.

He went over yonder way
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I called First Lite. Luckily the guy on the phone was almost exactly the same size as I am and told me what he uses. He said the Llano tends to run small, Chama about right on, and the Labrador a bit big. I went with Llano (L), Chama (M), Labrador (M), Allegheny (M) in the goofy camo color that was bonus priced. Rather have plain colors but at that price I don't care.

I'll likely pick Chama EXP and Allegheny EXP to have a full set of heavy weight. I'll wait till I see how light/heavy the Chama/Llano shirts are before deciding on more. I tend to like both a lighter and heavier weight version in base layers. I also bought the Labrador thinking I could forego the Chama EXP and wear the Llano/Chama combo under the Labrador. Guy on the phone told me that is what he does for hiking into his elk spots, then puts on his outer layer. Exactly what I do except I've been wearing different weights of fleece over my base layer depending on temps.

Also talked to 3 major merino wool sellers (Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite) about their products in the past few days. Comparing the merino density/wt, First Lite tends to run thicker. As far as total value goes, I'd say the order is: First Lite, Kuiu, Sitka. Kuiu runs a bit cheaper but uses slightly lighter weight material. Sitka is in a league of their own..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anybody tried the Rivers West merino wool base layers? The are on sale right now at a few places. Also, does anyone know if any of these are Made in the USA?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
SmartWool 250 for me. Very comfy.

The only down side to wool in my Gulf Coast Texas climate are moths. I have to keep each garment in a zip-lok bag while not in use. Otherwise, merino wool is the way to go.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a First Lite Llano and am REALLY pleased with it. Nice and soft, breathed beautifully in Wyoming at near 90 and kept me warm in wet cold (high 30s) conditions here during deer season.

I am going to get matching bottoms as I love how i can wear it and not stink!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For base layers, my favorites are Ibex, Icebreaker and Smartwool in the lightest weights. For mid layers Ibex hands down.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would like to try some First Lite merino, just to see if they'd be long enough for me.

I haven't tried them all, beings I'm built like SuperMonkey, but of the ones I've had, I prefer the midweight merino from LL Bean. You can catch them on sale for great prices throughout the year.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very interested in this thread.. Santa brought me two gift cards.. 1 for First Lite and 1 for KUIU.

I see some good feedback on the FL.

Any KUIU users have anything to add?

Be safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just caught the KUIU Merino 125 thread... looks like it might be FL for the base layers and KUIU for something else..maybe mid or outer.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a good bit of the Kuiu stuff and I've been pleased with it. I find it to be comfortable with little itch. My stuff is 5 or 6 years old so I don't know if they have changed anything when they moved manufacturing to China from Canada.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have used KUIU since the beginning and have been extremely happy on backpack elk hunts. I have a couple of the lighter weight wools and the medium weight. Not sure what he calls them now but highly recommend everything all of he clothing I have used.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Very interested in this thread.. Santa brought me two gift cards.. 1 for First Lite and 1 for KUIU.

I see some good feedback on the FL.

Any KUIU users have anything to add?

Be safe,

Kuiu has a 15% off sale coming up Jan 10.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First Lite Chama Hoody is the cats azz, Kuiu is cat schit....

S
S
Originally Posted by efw
I bought a First Lite Llano and am REALLY pleased with it. Nice and soft, breathed beautifully in Wyoming at near 90 and kept me warm in wet cold (high 30s) conditions here during deer season... I love how i can wear it and not stink!

^^^ Yep.

FL Llano takes care of 70%+ of archery elk hunting for me. Super soft, good "pines" pattern, wear for days without stinking. When it gets chilly but you're still active, pull on a Sitka Traverse over it and you're good practically until the snow flies. At night, lightweight down tops its all off.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I owned some of this Ullfrotte stuff years ago and had forgotten all about it. It's very high quality and a terry clothe weave vs the flat weave of most stuff. Made in Sweden. I recall it was very good.

I had a full zip base layer and remember my wife grabbing it. I never could find it again until I bumped into it here. I plan to get more.

http://alexoutdoors.com/html/200_gram_turtleneck-_short_zipper_by_woolpower.html

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.