Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by specneeds
Thankfully I've had much better service from my 2 original Conquests and HD5 than you experienced. I've beaten most of my equipment up dragging through brush , icy rainy muddy trails, and canyons that were steeper than I thought. The Zeiss scopes have always held zero and I haven't had to use the customer service.

I've taken 14 year old boys hunting more than a few times and it is a great way to build character, opening gates and running errands at camp helping out and paying young hunter dues has been good for their development. If my 14 year old whined about a Zeiss scope he would be using iron sights for a while and buying his own scope next time. Part of the experience is watching them grow up to appreciate how lucky they are to get to enjoy the outdoors with their father, the modern equipment is just icing on the cake. They outgrow that smart mouth stage but if everything is handed to them they often turn out to be so self centered they miss out on a lot of things. I own nicer shotguns but still use my grandfathers old model 11 occasionally and remember being his retriever as he dropped bids close so I wouldn't have to chase them down the canyon.

How many 14 year old boys have you taken hunting to build character who get up at 3:45 am to work on Dad's ranch, then travel to GrandDad's, having worked for 2 hours,to spend another 1-1/2, then off to school, and afterwards work until dark, and maintain a 4.0, and attain a 35 on the ACT and a 2310 on the SAT and a full boat ride to an Ivy League university? All that time refusing a truck off the ranch, or anything other than shooting supplies, AND Dad's 300WSM POS from GAP that wouldn't feed properly or eject, and spent their own money with another gunsmith to fix the problems?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
specneeds wrote: "If my 14 year old whined about a Zeiss scope he would be using iron sights for a while and buying his own scope next time."
---

Well said!!!

Dickhead...read above.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Not to mention the "problem" occurred on his GAP 300 WSM and never had problems with his Leupold's and S&B's...? Damn, if that were me at 14 I'd be peeing in my pants with joy to own that rifle let alone a Zeiss, S&B and a lowly Leupold.

Did you get up at 3:45am and work 2 ranches half as big as the POS liberal [bleep] paradise you choose to call home 7 days a week until dark when you were 14?

Azzhole

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Ain't that the truth powdr, and RD? When I was 11 yrs old, and knew I was hooked on mule deer hunting already, I told my dad I wanted a rifle and scope. He says "great!", and promptly got me a job at the ice house bagging ice. I was 11 yrs old. Bought me a K4 and Marlin 30-30 for $150 brand new. I still have it.

And yet you never learned to kill chit without a guide...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
"We mounted one on his GAP 300 WSM and like most 14 year olds he started b1tching, cursing like a mofo the horrible tunnel vision compared to his normal Leupolds and S&Bs", Journeyman.

"I wouldn't trust a Zeiss on a Daisy Red Rider", Journeyman

It sounds like S&B scoped GAP rifles supplanted good ole Daisy BB guns at your house...

"If my 14 year old whined about a Zeiss scope he would be using iron sights for a while and buying his own scope next time", specneeds.
X2!!!!!!

Read above d!ckhead. I know the concept of working on sections (look it up flatlander) of land before the sun rises is foreign to you blue state f'ing liberals, but to we true conservatives in the west it is a way of life... MY 14 year old worked 9 hours a day plus school to pay for a scope with his own pay which I, in my ignorance, based on Internet hyperbole, recommended. I was wrong, and he, having enough experience, and several long range trophies under his belt, was experienced enough to see...wanna shoot against him to 1000 azzhole?

Last edited by Journeyman; 12/29/15.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Journeyman wrote: "I also had a V series I bought on a rifle in Scotland that refused to not fog, and Zeiss USA wouldn't look at it because it wasn't a USA product."

---

That seems quite odd since most upper-end Zeiss optics are NOT USA products, and they do indeed service them. A friend took a fall on a New Mexico mountainside, and his 1.5-6x42 was badly damaged, including a deep gouge on the ocular lens. Zeiss took care of it -- at no charge to him, I might add.

And of course it was not a USA product but was made in Germany. He purchased it while living in the UK.

Perhaps a call to a different CS rep would have been in order. (Try contacting Karen Bookout at Zeiss CS.)

It worked for me when Leupold produced a scope with the wrong reticle -- a reticle that wasn't even offered in that VX-R model -- and the first CS contact pretty much told me it was my problem. The 2nd, on the other hand, took care of it in short order.

For [bleep]'s sake you mentally crippled retard;look up grey (gray) market Zeiss. THAT is what happened to me in in 2002ish...moron...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The last 14 year old was the youngest Eagle scout in County history...maybe the state and is in the Air Force Academy now so a pretty exceptional young man. But like most kids, maybe even your son at 14 he was mouthy and irritating to everyone but his father. Other guys in our camp asked why he was invited back. My son was irritating, I'm guessing I was a cocky irritating kid at 14 too.

It sounds from your description that your son is a sharp, hard working kid with drive and that you are allowing him to do things that will keep him grounded. I'll stand by my comment on the whining about a Zeiss - just because he is an exceptional kid doesn't make the mouthy 14 year old part any more attractive no matter how normal it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last 14 year old was the youngest Eagle scout in County history...maybe the state and is in the Air Force Academy now so a pretty exceptional young man. But like most kids, maybe even your son at 14 he was mouthy and irritating to everyone but his father. Other guys in our camp asked why he was invited back. My son was irritating, I'm guessing I was a cocky irritating kid at 14 too.

It sounds from your description that your son is a sharp, hard working kid with drive and that you are allowing him to do things that will keep him grounded. I'll stand by my comment on the whining about a Zeiss - just because he is an exceptional kid doesn't make the mouthy 14 year old part any more attractive no matter how normal it is.

The fact is. that his experience as a long range competitor, winning dozens of trophies, having fired over 8,000 rounds in competition by age 14 awarded him the right, based on experience with Leupold, March, Premier, Nightforce, S&B, as per the chronology above, What is your experience, vs that, to "stand by your comment?" If you are Davis Tubb, I'll listen...other than that, the kid will kick your azz on the trigger, left, right and center, to 1000 and beyond...

In other words, I'm saying his experience to whine about a Zeiss, even at 14, exceeds that of any I know of on this thread, being familiar with most of today's long range competitors...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 3-9x40 Conquest a whole bunch, but then I was a wild one at 14.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To show what a savant the little turd is, Jeff..he could open a Nosler box at age 9!! wink

(Though the vast majority of his rounds were Berger, SMK and Lapua!!)

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I got it open. And HOW. smile

The tunnel vision thing surprises me. The 3-9x40 Conquest has really nice ER characteristics to my eye.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At 14 irritating as I was my deer hunting gun was an 1894 Winchester 30-30 rifle with iron sights that was previously owned by my grandfather. He didn't hunt much after his back was broken when a platform he was working on was strafed by a Japanese zero. But the summer I spent with him included about 2000 rounds of 22's so by 14 I might have fired that many rounds at cans and varmints. In those days he'd send me into the hardware store to pick up a box of ammunition s little different than today.

That rifle killed the first deer with the first shot at a doe on the dead run at about 75 yards and won a bunch of bets when it was used to hit rocks at 400 yards. I'd guess those young eyes of your son probably would do well with the irons - maybe you should try that out to see if he can be successful hunting without Daddy's fancy toys and expensive match rifles and optics. But I'd be happy to get shown up by a youngster - it sounds like you travel quite a bit I'm in rural San Diego County PM me for the address if you plan to be here. We are having a little archery 3D shoot and wild game pit bbq here on Friday with about a hundred folks if you can make it. We could mix in a little contest with a big audience then - hunting positions only and timed shots less than 15 seconds would be my preference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You killed many critters with a bow?

Careful..that's a setup! wink

I shot for Jennings 3 years back in the day when Tom was the man, before the sellout to Bear. Also, was later on the Martin team when Terry was in charge.

But, I'm always happy to be schooled...

You want some whitetail mulie, rm or roosevelt elk, california blactail, pronghorn, mountain, alaska/yucon, quebec caribou, or shiras or Canada moose for that cookout?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 14 irritating as I was my deer hunting gun was an 1894 Winchester 30-30 rifle with iron sights that was previously owned by my grandfather. He didn't hunt much after his back was broken when a platform he was working on was strafed by a Japanese zero. But the summer I spent with him included about 2000 rounds of 22's so by 14 I might have fired that many rounds at cans and varmints. In those days he'd send me into the hardware store to pick up a box of ammunition s little different than today.

That rifle killed the first deer with the first shot at a doe on the dead run at about 75 yards and won a bunch of bets when it was used to hit rocks at 400 yards. I'd guess those young eyes of your son probably would do well with the irons - maybe you should try that out to see if he can be successful hunting without Daddy's fancy toys and expensive match rifles and optics. But I'd be happy to get shown up by a youngster - it sounds like you travel quite a bit I'm in rural San Diego County PM me for the address if you plan to be here. We are having a little archery 3D shoot and wild game pit bbq here on Friday with about a hundred folks if you can make it. We could mix in a little contest with a big audience then - hunting positions only and timed shots less than 15 seconds would be my preference.

Also, flatlander, it ain't "Daddy's toys". Can't you [bleep] read you liberal red state prick? The kid works harder each week than the average California freak in his lifetime...HE researches, chooses and buys his own gear...a novel idea I know for one in San Diego where the Government pays for everything...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And, anyway, apologies to all who are so enjoying kicking my feeble azz, I'm on a plane tomorrow off to Norway... HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!!!

Edited to add: specneeds, God bless your Grandfather and more respect than I can convey for his service, The greatest generation will never be equaled...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Ain't that the truth powdr, and RD? When I was 11 yrs old, and knew I was hooked on mule deer hunting already, I told my dad I wanted a rifle and scope. He says "great!", and promptly got me a job at the ice house bagging ice. I was 11 yrs old. Bought me a K4 and Marlin 30-30 for $150 brand new. I still have it.

And yet you never learned to kill chit without a guide...

I've culled more big game animals than you've ever shot at. Keep talkin' though, you're doing great!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Norway is where that grandfather was born, enjoy your trip. We've had all of those meats in the pit over the years except pronghorn. I'm hoping to remedy that next year with a side trip to Wyoming.

Our local mountains only go to 6,000 feet but flat would not be an accurate description of where I grew up hunting......liberal paradise unfortunately is an accurate description of California's cities. The name calling on forums doesn't really add much to the discussion.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm on a plane tomorrow off to Norway... HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!!!

Happy New Year to you Bill, Be safe and enjoy your trip!

Mike

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My son ate six hotdogs at Cabela's yesterday.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
specneeds wrote: "If my 14 year old whined about a Zeiss scope he would be using iron sights for a while and buying his own scope next time."
---

Well said!!!

Isn't that the truth!!!! Modern day kids are spoiled, get away with too much chit, and are extremely "entitled". Sounds like his kid is one of those as well.... I was happy with an old simmons on an old sporterized enfield when I was a kid... For fu cks sake!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.