Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10826163 12/31/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a 10GA that won't break the bank and will be reliable. I'd prefer a semi auto, but a pump may work. The use will be for geese and ducks mainly. Later in the year here they get really shy and stay at the far reaches. Just looking for a little more punch.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Browning gold, it handles better than the Remington sp10, has less moving parts and doesn't weigh as much. No 10 semi will be cheap. The Browning would be my pick.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll go 180deg from SealBilly's post. Having worked at a Browning service center the Gold line must have been designed by a guy who used to make blenders or something and went through about 15 updates through the years, unless you buy a new one you won't know for sure you aren't getting a problem child.

I do all my waterfowling with a 26" SP10 and have never seen a more reliable auto loading shotgun. The major parts are forged steel and mine as well as the two a couple of my buddies own have never bobbled with any 3.5" load we've fed them.

That said, either gun is going to set you back $700 to a grand on the used market. The BPS 10s are great shotguns and the synthetic models can often be found pretty cheap, I've seen 3 that were priced between $400/$500 in the last year. Lots of gun for that kind of money.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And while I can't 100% endorse it....I bought a Browning BPS 10 because like you.....was on a budget and wanted something different. Maybe $450 for a used synthetic.

I am not attempting to be a braggart or an internet Tough Guy simply because it's a 10 gauge.....but my evidence in the field....is it's a Game Changer.

Could be it fits me better. Could be I take just a little more time before pulling the trigger? Who knows. But I shoot lefty...I've swapped it to right handed sitting halfway up in a layout blind and crushed geese squirting behind me. I've crushed Widgeon on the way out after my buddy burned his 3rd shell. And I've made it rain a few Greenies from the ionosphere.

It just flat works. Best investment I made as a Die Hard Waterfowler other than my dogs and the best dekes I can afford.

I may be short stroking in the heat of battle, because it does not function 100%. I've gotten a good handful of "Clicks" last season and a few this season.

I am making a move on any Gold Light 10 on GB or GA.....so if you see Jesse Jaymes in the bidding, put your mouth piece in and pack your lunch...cuz I want one bad enough to pay for it.

Partially sarcastic. But if you can swing the funds for a 10 and a case of shells you'll be smiling a long time. I am running Federal Ts for everything with factory Invector Full steel. Very impressed.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check your PM's

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought a American Arms 10 ga over/under about 12 years ago and love it. I also have a Ithaca Mag 10 and it is nice as well, but heavier

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a BPS.. I don't get a lot of waterfowl hunting here, but it has been a good solid shotgun.. Since I am a pump gun fan, the autos are something I can't comment on.. But the BPS is a dandy..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have shot waterfowl and turkeys with both the 10 gauge and the 3 1/2 inch 12 and I think the 10 is more effective. Maybe it just patterns better.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have an A A side by side 10 and a Browning Gold 10.

Remington while well built are boat anchors

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a BPS 10 that I bought the 2nd year they were out. It has had the snot shot out of it at field geese. It got full of mud every year for 10 years. It's been under water I don't know HOW many times........

With a Comp-N-Choke tube it throws patterns of lead that no gobbler, fox or coyote will survive to absurd distances.

And it just keeps motoring along, never missing a beat.

Just one word of caution. A BPS 10 can be the kickingest mo-fo you ever lit the fuse on if it happens to not fit you just right.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I second what duckster said. American Arms 10 o/u.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I first hit the 10 ga craving with a bps with 30" barrel. I have seriously made some amazing shots with it. I bought an old sp-10 last year. Its a little lighter and easier to carry than the bps but i shoot the pump better. I also have a single shot h&r that is fun to shoot
A 10 is not for everyone but they sure put the smack on geese and i often take mine when we hunt a field in AR. Ilike soeone else mentioned, i wait til everyone else runs out and the 10 gets used for cleanup

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Amazing shots" on waterfowl can be had a lot easier than buying and lugging around a new 10 gauge boat anchor.

It's called Hevi-Shot or Heavyweight or Tungsten-Matrix ammo in your good old 12 gauge.

If all you need is a few boxes for late season, it would be a lot cheaper and probably more pleasing than a Big 10.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I first shot the 10 Ga. in the early 1980's when steel shot was made mandatory for waterfowl. In those early days you had steel or you had lead....non-toxic shot available today was still a thing to come.

With steel, the only way to gain effectiveness was to throw massive charges of large diameter pellets downrange. When used with lead shot or later with heavier non-toxics it was even more deadly. The 10 gauge ruled the waterfowl world in those days and still does today when judged by pure killing effectiveness.

However, this effectiveness didn't come without a cost. Due to it's heavier recoil and the size of he 10 Ga. round, shotguns in this chambering are big, heavy and unwieldy when compared to a typical 12 Ga. This was also true for the later 3 1/2" 12 Ga. models.....which were nothing more than a failed attempt to get 10 Ga. effectiveness in a 12 Ga. frame.

For deliberate shooting such as hunting turkeys or waterfowl from a blind this extra weight was acceptable and nothing killed better than a 10 Ga. in those situations. However, for general all-around use where you have to carry your weapon any distance and shooting is quicker.....the heavy 10 Ga. does not compare so well.

The 10 Ga. has it's place and will outperform any other shotgun at the games it is best suited for, but for general, everyday use it is far from the "best" choice simply because of size and weight.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Exactly what I was thinking. You haven't seen effective until you've witnessed what 2 1/8th oz of bismuth through a light modified does to decoyed waterfowl out of the big 10. I'll give you a hint, there are no cripples.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And little left to eat!;)

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You eat those??

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All the above is what I'm after. I've three good hits on a goose this year and watched it fly away (not very well). I'm tired of that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We were shooting geese at 15 yards yesterday with BB, BBB and T shot and they were still sailing and very, very much alive, leaving some good chase downs for the dogs.

Late season hones are tough birds no way about it.

And in the long run buying a new Ten will be cheaper than shooting High density loads,

At 40 bucks for ten rounds I'd go bankrupt after one season

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used an Ithaca MAG-10 back in the 80's to shoot doves. I hand loaded the shells with 2.5oz of #8's.

The barrel was cropped back to 24" with Briley screw-in choke tubes.

I never had any problems with the gun.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (222Sako, 16gage, 06hunter59, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.