Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been told that Kroil will corrode stainless if left in a barrel for extended periods.
<br>
<br>Anyone know anything about this?
<br>
<br>Ted

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gunsmithing mentor who was also a benchrest shooter is a retired machinist. He supervised the production of surgical and hypo needles for the Johnson & Johnson Co. He warned me off of Kroil after seeing pitted stainless needles when using it as a cutting oil. He said they had problems with it and stainless steel.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PDS,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if any of the bench rest guys have seen this?
<br>
<br>Think I will take a wander over to the other site and post the same question. Also maybe send an email to Kano Labs and see what they say.
<br>
<br>In the meantime I am going to go clean the Kroil out of my 300 mag right now.
<br>
<br>Thnaks,
<br>
<br>Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a single S/S barrel in the house,that has not seen a generous amount of Kroil.
<br>
<br>As far as leaving a bore sopping wet with the stuff,for prolonged periods of time,I could not comment upon. It is a very important part of my cleaning regimen and I love the stuff,but I dry patch out when done cleaning.
<br>
<br>I've yet to notice an adverse affect,in any of my barrels...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Stick, just a curious question. Chris recommends cleaning his barrels with Shooters Choice, JB paste, swabing out with alcohol and then oiling the bore with Tera gun oil. He says never shoot a dry bore.
<br>
<br>I am following his cleaning / break in recommendations to the letter, this being my first go with a custom barrel. But I have never left oil in a rifle bore before. Any time I oiled a bore it took several fouling shots to get the rifle to group again, no matter how many dry patches I put down the barrel first.
<br>
<br>I have found that after cleaning with shooters Choice if I just run a couple of dry patches through the barrel the first shot will always go into the group. I do not oil bores unless I am going to store the rifle for a long time.
<br>
<br>What is your take on leaving oil in a bore? It is a little aginst my misconceptions to shoot an oily bore.
<br>
<br>By the way, I had a good day at the range today. I took a friend out to help him mount a scope on his new rifle. Last week I took the 25-06 Sendero out to check it's zero. I put one shot onto the target dead on where I wanted it. Took that same target out today, stapled it up at 100 yards, shot once and cut the same bullet hole. My friend was impressed. I was pleased, and put it back into the hard case.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PDS,
<br>
<br>Every Manufacturer has their own notion on how to do the Break-in Thing. My advice is to follow the advice of the guy that cashed your check(built the rifle). Then everyone is on the same page.
<br>
<br>My notions are a little different than the various Manufacturer's and those of most folks at large. I can make myself happy and I'm the only guy I gotta answer too.
<br>
<br>My preferences,despite specific Manufacturer,is to tote S/S barrels and I personally like 'em dry. Why? Because if it ain't broke,don't fix it and that way has done me right for a long while.
<br>
<br>Congrats on the 25-06,she sounds like a zinger......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never leave oil in your bore. It will make the first shot be out every time. No big deal at 100 yards, but at long range it will really be out, even feet.
<br>
<br>Never use any oil in your bore that contains PTFE (Teflon)
<br>In fact it voids any accuracy guarantee I give on my rifles.
<br>I include a cleaning instruction, in it it says never shoot on an oiled bore. No reason to. The best is always a dry bore. Consistancy is what yoiu are after. Even with the best oil stuff in the world there are too many factors even using it every shot to get consistancy.
<br>
<br>FWIW
<br>Celt

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used Kroil for a long time as part of my cleaning routine...no problems. I've also found that a very, very light amount of Kroil in my barrel for the first shot seems to reduce copper fouling quite a bit. By light I mean whatever is left in the bore after I run one loose patch down it before I shoot at the range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You had me curious about Kroil and Stainless Steel (possibly corroding it), so I dropped them an email. Here is their reply, I hope this helps. They got right back to me. I have used it for a long time and it works!!!!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Frank,
<br>Thank you for your question about KANO KROIL. The use of KROIL on stainless steel is very effective and safe. KROIL is great for the metal and rough on rust. I am sorry you were misinformed about KROIL, but you can use it without any worry. If you need material data sheets and any other word on KROIL just let me know. You can call me at 615-833-4101, or check us out on our web site at www.kanolabs.com.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> SINCERELY
<br>
<br> JOE SINCLAIR JR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.