Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The other thread seems to have wandered off course enough, so I wanted to post this separate one to share my impressions and disappointment with my MRC 1999 X2 .243, this one a left hand version.

Good
- It does exude quality when you examine it. Tang and bottom metal are inletted almost perfectly flush with the stock, the action inletting is very close, finish overall looks great.
- It comes in a sturdy box.

Neutral
- It is heavy, much too heavy for a .243, but I can live with that. My Winchesters are all well over 8 pounds scoped as well.

Somewhat disappointing
- Accuracy is mediocre so far. I've fired 22 four shot groups so far with four different bullets, various powder charges and two different seating depths, including the longer bullets this thing was twisted for like the Hornady 105 Amax. Best group of all was .720", worst was 2.591", with the others somewhere in between. Btw, runout of all rounds was around .002" (I do know how to load straight ammo thanks to MD's articles).

The big disappointment, the deal killer, the reason MRC has lost a supporter and customer for life.
- It doesn't feed worth a tinker's damn. 100 grain Hornady spire points and Sierra 85 HPBT's coming up from the right have their noses jammed into the collar to the left of the chamber. Once in a while one coming up from the left will have the nose jammed into the collar to the right of the chamber. Plastic tips (Amax and Vmax) so far feed okay.

When the rounds are jammed, the extractor has not captured the round so you can't pull it back out. If you retract the bolt the next round's head will rise up enough to be fed, so you have a double feed jam.

That is particularly "amusing" (that's sarcasm) since when the rifle doesn't jam the nose, the rounds may or may not rise up enough in the magazine to be caught by the bolt. This is particularly true on the second to last one coming up from the right. The bolt just slides back and forth over it until you push the nose down to bring the case head up.

Seriously, while I haven't owned astronomical numbers of rifles, I have owned a couple hundred at least, from bargain basement to full custom. A few had feeding issues of some kind or other but not one ever jammed like this, especially after coming back from being "fixed".

Why this is such a HUGE disappointment.
1. The whole raison d'etre of a CRF rifle is 100% perfect functioning, including feeding, under all conditions. That's it. This one fails at its most basic task.
2. I would not have written this without giving MRC a chance to make it right, which I did. I sent it back to them at the end of November (on my dime) with a nice letter explaining the problem and they said their gunsmith would go over it and wouldn't send it back until it was perfect.

Well, it ain't perfect. It is a long, long, long way from perfect. They had a chance to make it better, promised they would, but didn't.

I'm not angry about this, just extremely disappointed. You learn to take these things in stride and not let them upset your day, but MRC has lost a customer for life and while I'm not going to run around making posts to bad mouth them (other than this one), whenever threads about "How do you like your MRC 1999" come up then depending on my mood I will post a link back to this post.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this. I'm tempted to throw it on a bonfire and see what it feels like to literally burn up $1100, but that feeling is only sporadic - it usually only happens whenever I look at the rifle. wink Since I have nothing to lose, I may just take my own amateurish and deadly file skills to this and see what I can do.

Anyway, to those who got good ones, I'm glad for you. As to the MRC Model 1999 X2 overall, I'm sure this rifle is a fluke as no one else seems to have this problem.

But to MRC - thbbbtttt!!! You had a second chance and you totally blew it.

While MRC won't care, I'm thinking the best way to handle this is to buy a RAR .243 which will outfeed and outshoot it for 1/3 the cost. Then I'll store the two rifles side by side and let the RAR sneer at it. whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sucks about the poor feeding and piss poor attempt to make it right....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Serious bummer Jim...

Did you get a hold of MRC to tell them it still is screwed up?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I predict this second thread will be the beginning of the end of what could have been a wonderful thing.

Kudos to SAS for all his hard work and excellent CS regardless of anything else.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Kinda reminds me of the left hand Classic era of model 70's. A decent gun, but only after a great deal of work out of the box to get it that way. That is, unless it had one of the notorious problems such as scope mount holes drilled crooked. Although, I must say, feeding issues are one thing that are rarely mentioned about that era of 70s.

I can't guarantee what accuracy a RAR .243 will have, but I do know I have not heard any complaints in that department, and I know how my stainless LH compact shoots. When you can take a gun out of the box, run one patch down the barrel, scope it, and have shots touching at 100 yards the first trip to the range, that company must have put a hell of a lot of brilliant design and planning into a gun that sells for well under $500. And if there is a feeding issue, a replacement magazine will be in the mail the same day. That is customer service, and probably the reason their company stock has nearly doubled over the past year. I sold my .243 Cooper because of how the Ruger shoots, and I don't have to worry about what the weather is going to do to a nice walnut stock.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/09/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will. Going to wait until Monday when I'm good and calm and just let them know of my disappointment.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I predict this second thread will be the beginning of the end of what could have been a wonderful thing.

Kudos to SAS for all his hard work and excellent CS regardless of anything else.

Ditto x1000. I have nothing but good things to say about shortactionsmoker or Whittaker's. During this deal and a couple of other times when I called making inquiries they were very helpful, not to mention having really good prices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

The end of a good thing?

It sounds like SAS heart is in a good place but the rifle manufacturer has multiple internal issues

I think I'll buy myself a .223 RAR and wait on a magazine that will feed long ammo

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sorry to hear this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,

Just a suggestion but you might make up some dummy rounds with the bullets that wont feed that you want to use and send them in with the rifle and tell them not to send it back until it feeds them all.

If that fails....stoke up the bon fire!

Good luck,

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow--they sent it back without getting it good. That's disappointing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd fool around with the spring before I filed on anything.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Agreed. These guns are not known for feeing issues...infact they are known for reliability if anything. You have a spring, a follower, and a mag box...that's it. I can't imagine anything too serious is wrong.

Not giving a pass..they should have fixed it...but you can probably fox it yourself,

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Agreed. These guns are not known for feeing issues...infact they are known for reliability if anything. You have a spring, a follower, and a mag box...that's it. I can't imagine anything too serious is wrong.

Not giving a pass..they should have fixed it...but you can probably fox it yourself,

Sounds pretty fu cking simple. Maybe you should email the smith that sent it back and said it is working fine...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These guns are not known for feeing issues...infact they are known for reliability if anything. You have a spring, a follower, and a mag box...that's it.

Not quite.

There's also rails, feedramp and extractor. Could be there's too much pressure on the cartridges with a too stiff magazine spring. Could be a poorly shaped feedramp. Could be rough rails, or badly machined rails. Could be a follower of the wrong shape. The extractor "pinch" could be too hard. SA cartridges generally don't feed "quite" as well as LA cartridges in a crf, and anything wrong with the other components can magnify that reality, etc., etc.

Modern CRF's can often be full of problems. Pushfeeds are simpler. A pushfeed can't match a properly tuned crf for easy feeding, but a lot more parts/pieces have to work well together for this to be true.

I wonder how individual rounds (no others in the magazine) feed?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The other thread seems to have wandered off course enough, so I wanted to post this separate one to share my impressions and disappointment with my MRC 1999 X2 .243, this one a left hand version.

Good
- It does exude quality when you examine it. Tang and bottom metal are inletted almost perfectly flush with the stock, the action inletting is very close, finish overall looks great.
- It comes in a sturdy box.

Neutral
- It is heavy, much too heavy for a .243, but I can live with that. My Winchesters are all well over 8 pounds scoped as well.

Somewhat disappointing
- Accuracy is mediocre so far. I've fired 22 four shot groups so far with four different bullets, various powder charges and two different seating depths, including the longer bullets this thing was twisted for like the Hornady 105 Amax. Best group of all was .720", worst was 2.591", with the others somewhere in between. Btw, runout of all rounds was around .002" (I do know how to load straight ammo thanks to MD's articles).

The big disappointment, the deal killer, the reason MRC has lost a supporter and customer for life.
- It doesn't feed worth a tinker's damn. 100 grain Hornady spire points and Sierra 85 HPBT's coming up from the right have their noses jammed into the collar to the left of the chamber. Once in a while one coming up from the left will have the nose jammed into the collar to the right of the chamber. Plastic tips (Amax and Vmax) so far feed okay.

When the rounds are jammed, the extractor has not captured the round so you can't pull it back out. If you retract the bolt the next round's head will rise up enough to be fed, so you have a double feed jam.

That is particularly "amusing" (that's sarcasm) since when the rifle doesn't jam the nose, the rounds may or may not rise up enough in the magazine to be caught by the bolt. This is particularly true on the second to last one coming up from the right. The bolt just slides back and forth over it until you push the nose down to bring the case head up.

Seriously, while I haven't owned astronomical numbers of rifles, I have owned a couple hundred at least, from bargain basement to full custom. A few had feeding issues of some kind or other but not one ever jammed like this, especially after coming back from being "fixed".

Why this is such a HUGE disappointment.
1. The whole raison d'etre of a CRF rifle is 100% perfect functioning, including feeding, under all conditions. That's it. This one fails at its most basic task.
2. I would not have written this without giving MRC a chance to make it right, which I did. I sent it back to them at the end of November (on my dime) with a nice letter explaining the problem and they said their gunsmith would go over it and wouldn't send it back until it was perfect.

Well, it ain't perfect. It is a long, long, long way from perfect. They had a chance to make it better, promised they would, but didn't.

I'm not angry about this, just extremely disappointed. You learn to take these things in stride and not let them upset your day, but MRC has lost a customer for life and while I'm not going to run around making posts to bad mouth them (other than this one), whenever threads about "How do you like your MRC 1999" come up then depending on my mood I will post a link back to this post.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this. I'm tempted to throw it on a bonfire and see what it feels like to literally burn up $1100, but that feeling is only sporadic - it usually only happens whenever I look at the rifle. wink Since I have nothing to lose, I may just take my own amateurish and deadly file skills to this and see what I can do.

Anyway, to those who got good ones, I'm glad for you. As to the MRC Model 1999 X2 overall, I'm sure this rifle is a fluke as no one else seems to have this problem.

But to MRC - thbbbtttt!!! You had a second chance and you totally blew it.

While MRC won't care, I'm thinking the best way to handle this is to buy a RAR .243 which will outfeed and outshoot it for 1/3 the cost. Then I'll store the two rifles side by side and let the RAR sneer at it. whistle

I will give you $850 for it if you want to sell.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While I appreciate the generous offer, I'll have to decline.

However, I will take $2000 for it...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A few people have mentioned that these recent threads about the group buys would be the demise of the MRC group buys,

I'll bet good money that ship sailed about the middle of the 2nd buy, possibly even at the end of the 1st.

Too many people, options, wants, requests, calibers, twist, colors, flutes, e-mails, p.m.'s..........

I had sent a pm inquiring about a lefty .308 during one of the initial requests for ideas from SAS, his frustration was very obvious way back then,

And now with these recent threads, Consider these group buys history.

Whether thats good or bad, is for you to decide.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
These guns are not known for feeing issues...infact they are known for reliability if anything. You have a spring, a follower, and a mag box...that's it.

Not quite.

There's also rails, feedramp and extractor. Could be there's too much pressure on the cartridges with a too stiff magazine spring. Could be a poorly shaped feedramp. Could be rough rails, or badly machined rails. Could be a follower of the wrong shape. The extractor "pinch" could be too hard. SA cartridges generally don't feed "quite" as well as LA cartridges in a crf, and anything wrong with the other components can magnify that reality, etc., etc.

Modern CRF's can often be full of problems. Pushfeeds are simpler. A pushfeed can't match a properly tuned crf for easy feeding, but a lot more parts/pieces have to work well together for this to be true.

Your correct...it could be other more serious issues. But considering these are cast actions with relatively little hand fitting I'd be very surprised if anything was seriously wrong with the rails, feed ramp etc. I guess anything possible but Id guess its a binding follower or a tension isse. I've seen 1999s assembled in the rough that would feed and extract reliably prior to any hand fitting or tweaking.

Last edited by Three30Eight; 01/10/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Not quite.

Excellent post Brad.... I call them the way I see them buddy...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.