Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A few years ago, I had a 30 gallon metal can in the shop with birdseed in it. Took the last scoop out of it and left the top off, it was up against the wall. Next day there were several field mice in the bottom of it, they couldn't climb or jump out. Light bulb clicked on, and have been using it since. Any kind of feed/oats/corn in a deep enough metal container, only takes a little bit of leftover grain to get them to do the swan dive.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better patent that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Someone here posted a pic of a coke can roller on a 5 gal bucket.

That works well too, from the pics.

Seems like they smeared peanut butter on the Coke can, and when the mice came to get it, they rolled off into the deadly abyss below.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You put water in the 5 gal. bucket and they drown in the water. Have several set up in the barn, works great.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Seems like they smeared peanut butter on the Coke can, and when the mice came to get it, they rolled off into the deadly abyss below.

Use that in my building and it works. Had 3 in it yesterday

IC B2

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I had read @ that and tried it, but dang, if you aren't there to empty it regularly, dead wet mice can get stinking pretty good. With the dry can, have not noticed anywhere near the stink, they just shrivel up. Water method does work darn good though.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

We've been using the same here on the farm. Works pretty well

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by maggie
I had read @ that and tried it, but dang, if you aren't there to empty it regularly, dead wet mice can get stinking pretty good. With the dry can, have not noticed anywhere near the stink, they just shrivel up. Water method does work darn good though.

Antifreeze instead of water keeps them from rotting for quite a while.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Keep them well fed and release for the hawks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The roller can on a bucket works fine. If it's cold put a little antifreeze in the water. If you have small kids or pets around, use RV antifreeze. It's cheaper anyway - $2.50 at Wallys

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Working down in Freer Tx., it was so dry we just put
a 1x4 ramp and they just jumped in the water bucket and
couldn't get out.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Decon.

The 'camp' in VT is not occupied at times and mice always got in.

When Decon came out I tried it and the mice have been gone for decades.

I use the Decon trays of poison.

The Decon site shows traps and I don't need to use traps as I am not there all of the time and they seem to leave the camp and die elsewhere.

Decon

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes! That design is far superior to the water traps that are prone to freezing.

Only has to be reset if it fills up to the degree that they can jump out.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Doesn't work if skunks and their like can reach the bucket - BTDT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Not of sufficient scale to deter chipmunks but worked on mice in a pinch. Just need enough water depth that they can't touch bottom and jump out. One has to tolerate the noise of their yelling for help for half the night though.

One gets discovered in the middle of the wilderness about 3 days into a 3-week elk camp. Tracks in the snow evidence traffic from all directions. My best nights are about 6 or 7, and then it tails off to an occassional single or pair.

Our wrath surfaced when we had stir fried rice scheduled for the last night in camp. Reached for what should have been a full bag of rice and it was completely empty. A half-inch slice in the bottom corner, and they had extracted every grain. Stir fried Top Ramen saved the evening, and it's been war on the get go ever since.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/16.

1Minute
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I use Decon.

The 'camp' in VT is not occupied at times and mice always got in.

When Decon came out I tried it and the mice have been gone for decades.

I use the Decon trays of poison.

The Decon site shows traps and I don't need to use traps as I am not there all of the time and they seem to leave the camp and die elsewhere.

Decon

You're aware that they stopped making the formula of D-Con you were using (brodifacoum)?? Hope you stocked up. You'll have to get it in large quantities now, from a different brand.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0531-rat-poisons-2014053http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0531-rat-poisons-20140531-story.html1-story.html

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by half_whit

I made one of those traps years ago but put a couple of inches of lime in the bottom instead of water or antifreeze. The lime drys the mice out and turns them into crispy critters before they rot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by half_whit

I made one of those traps years ago but put a couple of inches of lime in the bottom instead of water or antifreeze. The lime drys the mice out and turns them into crispy critters before they rot.

^^^ This^^^

I know farmers used to spread quicklime over livestock carcases for that purpose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
[Linked Image]

Not of sufficient scale to deter chipmunks but worked on mice in a pinch. Just need enough water depth that they can't touch bottom and jump out. One has to tolerate the noise of their yelling for help for half the night though.
. I was to post like this ...use a 5gal bucket a inch of coolant in the bottom of , I use wire and a can punched center , lean a stick with some grip on it and they will shimmy up then try to reach/jump to free food an fall to a cool death 😂lol 10/20 a week is common !

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/11/16.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I built my first one of these bucket traps 45 years ago. I believe that I copied from Field and Stream? Anti freeze works well for eliminating the stink, but I will give the lime a try. How quick will that kill them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,238
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.