Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Found an older Remington 700 Mountain that looks brand new. The caliber is .280. It has a walnut stock and blue metal. I can't find any flaws as it was just shot a few rounds to sight in the scope. Scope is gone now, but the Leupold base and rings remain. It has the original box for rifle as well. Included are two boxes of 140 grain Remington ammo (40 rounds total) . What is something like this going for?

I have never owned the mountain gun 700, nor a gun in .280. I found positive reviews on the caliber and apparently it can be hand loaded from 100 grain all the way to 175 or so bullets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My favorite 700 combo of all time. My wife bought me one when we were dating, she hasn't bought me a rifle since smile

What are they asking for it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$600 would be a nice price to pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its probably worth $800. The .280 is an awesome cartridge and probably my favorite but its not really superior than the .270.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm in the same boat as MagMarc. The 700 Mountain Rifle (Pre DBM) is in my opinion, the nicest hunting rifle that Remington ever produced. My own favorite is the 7mm/08, but a 280 would be even mo betta good.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
alwaysoutdoors, Just wrapped my 49th big game season. Were I starting over, an older Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 would be very high on my list. Not much in North America I wouldn't hunt with it, happily and with confidence.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 280 cloverleafs 160 Nosler Part. But I also had a laminated one in 06 that I couldn't get better than about 2" so I eventually sold that one. But I think it was one of Rem. best designs if you have an accurate one.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought one my freshman year of college in 1991. It's an elk/deer/bear killing machine. I dropped mine in a Mickey KS pattern stock a few years ago and it's even more awesome now. I love everything about it.

It clover-leafs 140 TTSXs and 160 Speers fwtw.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'm in the same boat as MagMarc. The 700 Mountain Rifle (Pre DBM) is in my opinion, the nicest hunting rifle that Remington ever produced. My own favorite is the 7mm/08, but a 280 would be even mo betta good.

It's not detachable mag

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Then buy it. You won't be sorry.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The handle of the bolt is slimmer and without checkering compared to my other 700s. The barrel is a slim contour I assume. What else is altered to cut weight down? Slimmer stock?

I have a ruger 77 RL in 270 tang safety that I would never sell, but I really like this mountain .280 a lot and wanted the Fire's input on it. It's $800 as described with ammo and rings/bases.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buy it. Load 162 Hornadys in it and go kill stuff.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The handle of the bolt is slimmer and without checkering compared to my other 700s. The barrel is a slim contour I assume. What else is altered to cut weight down? Slimmer stock?

I have a ruger 77 RL in 270 tang safety that I would never sell, but I really like this mountain .280 a lot and wanted the Fire's input on it. It's $800 as described with ammo and rings/bases.

That's on the high side of price but they don't make them anymore. If you want it get it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I passed on a .280 mountain rifle for $575 last year at the lgs. When I picked it up I thought "oh yeah you're mine". Then I looked closer and saw the former owner scratched lines into the barrel evidently to denote his kills. I was bummed.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just bought one at a really nice but sometimes pricey shop in Atlanta. The reason they can be pricey is because the used firearms are all as new. The one I bought is perfect and I dont think it has been shot much if at all. It had a nice 3x9 Vari X II on it and I paid $800 and thought based on the condition and scope it was a good deal. Not a smokin deal but good enough I spent some of my Cooper money to buy it. I love it, its light and slim and one of the best looking rifles I own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These rifles don't sell for what they're worth is my opinion. I would buy it and enjoy it, it don't get much better unless it's a 7x57 or 7-08 Mtn Rifle.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The walnut factory stock finsh will craze on the older models and the "bowling pin" finish is hard to remove. I have two, a .270KS and a .280.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought a pretty nice this spring for $550, and it shoots pretty good. It is in the .280 cal also. I loaned it to a buddy who took his first Wyoming white tail buck with it this season. I have the intention of collecting several of the 700 Mountain Rifles (not the new model) and I have found several at gun shows for under $650

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
forgot to mention, in case it didnt come across clear in my post, but the gun, they are great

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My good friend just bought one before this years hunting season. Paid $800 for it, and now is his favorite rifle! Very clean and accurate.

Q
Q
I will echo the praise. I don't have a Mountain Rifle in .280, but I have one in 257 Roberts and it's quite nice. Not my most accurate gun, but plenty accurate considering its light weight. I will be getting one shortly in 7x57, almost a .280....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have had two myself, a 30-06 that I never could get to shoot so it got rebarreled, and a 7-08 which has been a joy to work with from day #1. The 7-08 is currently set up as an ultralight. Pretty cool rig.

A .280 MR would be a bitchin' rifle if it shoots. I say find out! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Have had two myself, a 30-06 that I never could get to shoot so it got rebarreled, and a 7-08 which has been a joy to work with from day #1. The 7-08 is currently set up as an ultralight. Pretty cool rig.

Like you would have a phuquing clue what that means!

Between blue tape and a perfect earlobe to universal recoil pad stock weld tempered by a roll-over-and-give-em-up-everything whilst pissing on your belly move you want to pretend what the question is???

[bleep] off and die you pathetic POS!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Like you would have a phuquing clue what that means!

Between blue tape and a perfect earlobe to universal recoil pad stock weld tempered by a roll-over-and-give-em-up-everything whilst pissing on your belly move you want to pretend what the question is???

[bleep] off and die you pathetic POS!!!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first deer rifle was a 60s vintage 700 BDL in .280...five deer with six shots...

Can't go wrong...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I agree with the poster who said that $800 is on the high side of the "respectable range". But for that rifle in that condition, I'd still think hard on it. For sure, I'd offer them $675 or $700, and see if they bit.

That's my favorite rifle, hands down, and it's in a damned fine chambering.

Let us know if you get it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 270. Astonishingly accurate given the barrel contour. Nice rifle.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had one in a 7x57....my one and only case of sellers remorse....Again, accurate as hell for the barrel contour...or any other contour for that matter. My fave Remington ever, and the .280 is skookum

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Had one in a 7x57....

I won't be letting go of mine, no matter how hard Ready may beg. grin

FC

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

What are the common reasons for DBM mtn rifles being less desirable?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by turkish

Because DBMs don't belong on proper hunting rifles.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Had one in a 7x57....

I won't be letting go of mine, no matter how hard Ready may beg. grin

FC

Joe...I didn't know you had one.....

You should bring it to the pig hunt.... whistle

Carl: if you're reading this, PM sent wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My son has the DM 280 Mtn Rifle and loves it. To me it looks bad and I don't care for the feel of it when carrying it.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I bought one in .280 back in the late 80's and for many years it was my go to rifle. I've taken whitetails, muleys, blacktails, hogs, coyotes, and elk with it.I put a 3x9x36 Swaro on it at the time and have never changed scopes. Just re sight when I go from light deer loads to heaver elk bullets.A couple years ago I dropped it into a light B&C stock.I's not as pretty anymore with nicks,scratches,and finish gone from being carried all over the West. It puts both the 140 and 160 Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in to quarter size groups. Buy it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold one just like it last year. It was a 1" shooter with the Federal Fusion stuff. It was a really great handling rifle, but was a pretty hard kicker in a gun that light. Fell on hard times and had to sell it. Wish I still had it.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had a Mountain rifle DBM in 7-08. Great little gun, shot just fine,one nice deer, DBM was a pain (poor fit) so she went down the road ASAP. Funny thing, the guy who bought it said his son had one just like and kept forgetting the DBM....... go figure.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

What? You held it while I was tying my boots at the Wilderness Lodge hunt in '14. Must have been forgettable...

[Linked Image]

I don't think it'll make the trip to Prickly Pear: I've got too many other rifles to bloody. Come to think of it, though, one of 'em is a '98 Mauser... in 7x57... sighted for 175 RN's...

FC

- Mrs. FC
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I traded for it. Thanks for all the input.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I traded for it. Thanks for all the input.

Pics and a follow up report after you start shooting it would be a good thing wink

Congrats

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I've got 3 a 308 and 243 "older"(got used around 99') models with floor plate. And "newer" bought new 2001 in .260 DBM . model . Now above you said bolt handle was different than your other 700's? all 3 of mine are the same and like most 700 handle with "rough" bolt handle. wonder if it's the orginal bolt? The DBM is a matter of personal opinion , wife uses the .260 and likes the drop box it's easy for her to load/unload

Last edited by ldholton; 01/14/16.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ldholton

I've got 3 a 308 and 243 "older"(got used around 99') models with floor plate. And "newer" bought new 2001 in .260 DBM . model . Now above you said bolt handle was different than your other 700's? all 3 of mine are the same and like most 700 handle with "rough" bolt handle. wonder if it's the orginal bolt? The DBM is a matter of personal opinion , wife uses the .260 and likes the drop box it's easy for her to load/unload

Pics coming soon

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a pair of .270's that had smooth handles. I have an older mid 80's 30-06 with a smooth handle.
Think they were "B" or "C" serial # range.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Quick research indicates the early versions had a smooth bolt handle. I saw one on a completed gunbroker item search by entering 700 mountain into the search window. Seller indicates the gun is an early one. Interesting.......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From memory, the 1st year mountain rifles had smooth bolts. Every subsequent year had the checkered surfaces.

Around here a smooth bolt 280 would run in the $600 neighborhood, in really good condition.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was 86 the first year? Mine is an 88, checkered bolt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one in 7/08 and laminate stock/SS action. I killed stuff with it, but to be honest I had a hard time getting it to shoot consistently. Minute of Deer seemed to be the standard with it. The trigger wasn't great, despite having it worked on. I tried hard to like it, but just didn't have much confidence in it after a while. I sold it last summer for $1000 with a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 on it.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

What? You held it while I was tying my boots at the Wilderness Lodge hunt in '14. Must have been forgettable...

[Linked Image]

I don't think it'll make the trip to Prickly Pear: I've got too many other rifles to bloody. Come to think of it, though, one of 'em is a '98 Mauser... in 7x57... sighted for 175 RN's...

FC

Damn Dude! I'm losing it. But in my defense at that pig hunt I had just learned my boy Rommel was REAL sick and my mind wasn't in the game.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found an older Remington 700 Mountain that looks brand new. The caliber is .280. It has a walnut stock and blue metal. I can't find any flaws as it was just shot a few rounds to sight in the scope. Scope is gone now, but the Leupold base and rings remain. It has the original box for rifle as well. Included are two boxes of 140 grain Remington ammo (40 rounds total) . What is something like this going for?

I have never owned the mountain gun 700, nor a gun in .280. I found positive reviews on the caliber and apparently it can be hand loaded from 100 grain all the way to 175 or so bullets.

Two of the worst shooting rifles I have ever owned were a blued/walnut 700 mountain rifle in 280 and a stainless/laminate 700 mountain rifle in 7mm 08. I tried to like them, but my Marlin 336 35 Remington shot better than both, so I let them go. They were a dream to carry though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wished I could have bought them from you.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

87 (I think)
B prefix
Awesome trigger
Smooth bolt handle

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 01/15/16.

W
W
Just purchased a new Rem 700 Mountain 2/4/16. in .270 Win.

Ordered a Leupold 3-9x40 black matte, bases and rings.

Anxious to get the scope on and can not wait til fall.

Whitetailer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice score....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know it's not as retro as some of the ones you guys have been discussing, but I did just give my circa 2002 7-08 MR some luvin'.... it's got a Gre-Tan shroud and bolt guts (to get rid of the J-lock), PT&G aluminum TG, a great trigger job @ 2 lbs or so, and I just re-did the bedding job in the B&C Ultralight blind stock. That's a flexy stock and I misjudged that the first time I bedded it, and when tightened down, the barrel ended up sunk into the channel more than I liked once the pressure point came out. Anyway redid that a couple days ago. PLENTY of float now.

She's light as a feather and shoots great. Talleys and a 2.5-8. Killed 4 deer with it, that I can remember.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know it's not as retro as some of the ones you guys have been discussing, but I did just give my circa 2002 7-08 MR some luvin'.... it's got a Gre-Tan shroud and bolt guts (to get rid of the J-lock), PT&G aluminum TG, a great trigger job @ 2 lbs or so, and I just re-did the bedding job in the B&C Ultralight blind stock. That's a flexy stock and I misjudged that the first time I bedded it, and when tightened down, the barrel ended up sunk into the channel more than I liked once the pressure point came out. Anyway redid that a couple days ago. PLENTY of float now.

She's light as a feather and shoots great. Talleys and a 2.5-8. Killed 4 deer with it, that I can remember.

[Linked Image]

2 of 4 were a$$ shot for POR

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I have one in .280 Remington, bought it in '88 or '89. The thing shoots some itty bitty groups with most factory ammo, used it to harvest a dozen or so whitetails. I bought it for a longer range shooter as I normally use my Marlins for deer hunting. So far my longest shot with it has been 40 yards. Still great fun to shoot it though!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10at6

[Linked Image]

2 of 4 were a$$ shot for POR

WTF does POR stand for?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have a .280 mtn with a 3-9 nikon for sale. along with 100 rounds of factory ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
$600 would be a nice price to pay.

That would be a steal at that price. However, I ran across a 270 win mountain rifle for $350.00 back when I didn't want to have anything to do with the gay 270. One of the dumbest things I've ever done is not buy that rifle!!!!! The OP's rifle in question is probably worth $800.00+

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DBM sucks azz. However, a lot of cheap rifles made nowdays have them.... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

87 (I think)
B prefix
Awesome trigger
Smooth bolt handle

[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle. I think you did great! Let us know how it shoots for you. Good luck with it sir..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have one you don't see very often. Mid 90's stainless/synthetic. Sent it to Carolina Precision , they recrowned the muzzle , squared the action, tweaked the trigger, and pillar bedded it. Mounted a leupold 2.5 X 8 in leupold rings and base. Shoots 160 gr. NPT's into .5 - .75" groups. Killed a bunch of deer and a couple black bears with it. I say buy it , you won"t be sorry.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have one you don't see very often. Mid 90's stainless/synthetic. Sent it to Carolina Precision , they recrowned the muzzle , squared the action, tweaked the trigger, and pillar bedded it. Mounted a leupold 2.5 X 8 in leupold rings and base. Shoots 160 gr. NPT's into .5 - .75" groups. Killed a bunch of deer and a couple black bears with it. I say buy it , you won"t be sorry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My early 700 Mountain rifle in .280 was the only Remington I've never been able to shoot. It was a 2 1/2" rifle when I did everything right using custom loads, bench rest techniques, etc. Even caved in and let a smith work on it and the best we could do was 2 1/2". I killed elk and deer with it but when it wouldn't even deliver 2 1/2 I sent it down the road. Told the buyer it wasn't a shooter but he said he could fix it, never heard back.

Sharing my experience since everyone else's was different.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.