Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've waited until the conclusion of this incident to post here, and it came today.

On New Year's Eve, I was pulled over in Cooper Landing for "no trailer lights". They were working, but that is neither here nor there.

The Trooper was polite and courteous, and explained that this stop was due to increased enforcement and visibility during the holiday. I informed the Trooper that I had firearms (within reach of me), and he secured them for the duration of the stop. One of the firearms, an AR style pistol, was fitted with a Sig Saur forearm brace. Those of you who are interested in such things know that it is a firearm brace, which to some, look like a butt stock. However, it has been approved by the ATF as long as it is used as designed, and not shouldered. The Trooper let me go during the traffic stop with only verbal warnings, and was again, very courteous and professional.

The Trooper took a picture of it, and showed it to an AST firearms instructor. 2 days later, he called me back, and sternly informed me that the brace installed was illegal, and I needed to remove it or face seizure and possible arrest. He said "I don't care what letters you have from the ATF, it's illegal" (paraphrased by me).

Feeling myself on solid legal ground, I wrote a letter to the SOA AG, and the DPS commissioner explaining my case, and asking (politely) what the opinion of the SOA was.

To their credit, a LT in the AST (FWP) called me and assured me he would look into it... Today said Lieutenant called to inform me that I was right, and education of the troopers would be forthcoming.

I would advise anyone with said Sig Brace to carry a copy of the ATF letter with them to alleviate any future questions.

Although I have to admit I was very frustrated with the troopers at first, I applaud their leaderships' willingness to follow through and get to the right answer.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal law trumps state laws.

edit: missed the end of your post.

Last edited by huntersdog; 01/08/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just because they are instructors doesn't mean they know schitt about guns or laws outside their profession.

I'm an instructor too, but I do it because I like the craft and good part of my life is centered around guns, gun rights and gun ownership.

The other candidate that was interested in the slot, just wanted to pad his resume. He had no interest outside of doing the required training for the training points, getting the certificate and running quals for us.

BTW, since the brace is legal, how you decide to use it is irrelevant.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I never disclose to anyone especially LE I’m carrying a firearm. Mistake of fact is my answer if called on it, which has never happened.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I believe in Alaska you are required by law to notify a LEO that you have a weapon either on you or within reach since they don't have a pistol permit and pretty much everyone carries something

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don't disclose that I'm carrying unless required by law. In Alaska the law states you need to inform the officer that you are carrying so in Alaska I always do. The last time I was checked over by Wrangell I told the troopers that my partner and I were carrying and after their check of licenses they asked us what we thought of different carry guns We spent 15 minutes on our boat drinking coffee and BSing.

As to the OP it sounds like he went about it the right way and his follow through likely will benefit others.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well handled and good on you for following through.

Expect nothing less from the KP though. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got pulled over by TX Highway Patrol just east of Dallas about 10 years ago. They were basically on the prowl, had several cars out in that area that evening, and felt a need to stop our Suburban with AL plates and dark tint on the windows. Trooper informed me I was pulled over because my license plate illumination was not working and asked to see my driver's license. In the process of showing it my CCW permit came into view. He immediately asked if I was carrying a weapon and I responded that my pistol was locked in the glove box. I also volunteered permission for him to search our vehicle saying something to the effect of "I know you stopped me to search my vehicle and you are very welcome to do so. I will warn you in advance that I am returning home from a prairie dog shoot and my hunting partner and I have approximately 20 rifles and 3,000 remaining rounds of ammunition stored in a locked cabinet in the back."
He was unfazed by the admission and asked "Hunting what?". My reply, "You aren't from Texas are you?"
Turns out he was from Maryland, had done his MP training 3 miles from my friends home and spent the next 15 minutes talking familiar places and learning about prairie dog shooting.
LE are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It sounds like everything was handled in a professional manor by both sides. Which us nice to hear for a change.

I notified a LEO officer who stopped to talk to me recently that I was carrying and his response was "Who cares, so am I"
Not the response I was expecting but I thought it was great!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
tiny bit OT but WTF do you do with a sig brace? They just dont' have any appeal to solve anything to me really?

I"m seriously curious, what does it accomplish that you decided to try one?

And glad it turned out great for you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
tiny bit OT but WTF do you do with a sig brace? They just dont' have any appeal to solve anything to me really?

The Sig brace transfers and supports the weight of an AR or AK style pistol to the forearm rather than your wrist essentially mechanically moving the balance point to further to the rear so you can shoot it extended out one-handed.

They work very well with those who've lost limbs.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had good experiences with law enforcement in Alaska over the years. The last time I got pulled over, I let him know I was carrying. He asked me what I was carrying, and I told him an S&W 642 and when I looked up from getting my DL and Insurance card together I looked up and he was holding his 642 up and said "like this?" with a smile. I said "Yep". We talked for a minute and he let me go. Nice guy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by rost495

The Sig brace transfers and supports the weight of an AR or AK style pistol to the forearm rather than your wrist essentially mechanically moving the balance point to further to the rear so you can shoot it extended out one-handed.

They work very well with those who've lost limbs.

Makes sense. Since there is always likely an answer, its why I ask someone off questions sometimes.

I've never seen the use of an AR pistol, hence the extended question.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Good for you for knowing your rights and most importantly following through in a professional manner. To often guys get loud in this type of situation and that leads to less than desirable outcomes. I am also encouraged to hear the Lieutenant returned your call with a professional answer.

I have always felt our State Troopers do a hell of a good job and feel comfortable with their professionalism.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Everything was civil and friendly, with the exception of the phone call from the original trooper a few days after the stop. He was giving me the firm LEO to a subject speech once he was convinced I was illegal. I got frustrated and said "thanks for the input" and hung up the phone. It was 5 minutes later that I drafted my letter to the AG.

I really don't think I would have gotten their attention if I didn't go right to the top.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Good for you for knowing your rights and most importantly following through in a professional manner. To often guys get loud in this type of situation and that leads to less than desirable outcomes. I am also encouraged to hear the Lieutenant returned your call with a professional answer.

I have always felt our State Troopers do a hell of a good job and feel comfortable with
their professionalism
my willingness to roll over on my back and piss on my belly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

359 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.