Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 338WIN
The GPS is always right.

True, right up to the point when it isn't. I've seen them fail, and I'm not talking about battery life either. And it was a Garmin.

Personally, I go minimalist with a Foretrex 401. High sensitivity receiver, but I can do without a map on a screen, since I always have a paper copy.

Really helps in the dark or in really thick brush like we had this past August. Hard to know if you're on the right route when you can only see five feet in front of you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The only reason I carry a GPS is the landowner maps. Some of this checker boarded BMA, BLM, State, private non-BMA schit is a nightmare. The GPS shows me if I'm right or wrong and keeps track of everywhere I went in case there is a landowner waiting at the gate.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That would be the one reason I'd upgrade.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use the Delorme with my iphone earthmate app. It does a good job showing you land ownership and good enough mapping if you have the maps downloaded to your phone.

I pay a lot of attention to landmarks, and always surveying where I am in relation. I do so for a lot of reasons, sometimes the correct drainage, sometimes noticing interesting features the are worth exploring at another time.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The GPS is always right.

No, it's not.

A few years ago I apparently pushed enough wrong buttons in wrong order and my gps ended up 180 degrees off.

Nor do I have a what buttons in which order I pushed to make it correct again.......I got it to work correctly only after I got home........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Happens with compasses too. Had a Silva Ranger that no matter how I turned it, how I spun it, or twisted it - that dammed needle kept pointing the same direction! Had a hell of time.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows, I just went to put my new Armorsuit screensaver on my Montana 600 and realized that I'd ordered one for the Garmin Oregon 600t/650t instead.

If anyone needs it let me know. It's new in the opened package. I paid $10 for it.

Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows, I just went to put my new Armorsuit screensaver on my Montana 600 and realized that I'd ordered one for the Garmin Oregon 600t/650t instead.

If anyone needs it let me know. It's new in the opened package. I paid $10 for it.

this is it: http://www.armorsuit.com/garmin-oregon-600-t-650-t-gps-screen-protector.html

Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Being blessed with the worst sense of direction in history ,I've used GPS's since they first came out. I've probably owned 6 different ones. I currently have a Garmin eTrex HCX and a Garmin Oregon 450t I use them both. The newer models have some reception advantages having GlONASS but it's not huge. The 450 has a 3 Axis compass, which is why I bought it, with the eTrex you have to be moving for the compass to work. I haven't had to many reception issues , both have high sensitivity antennas in them , But the Quad Helix antennas on the Garmin 62 & 64 are a bit better. It was cheaper to buy the T (topo) model 450 otherwise I would have bought the regular 450. There's really good topo maps free on the Internet I use them. I use the 450 most I like the touch screen nothing to get hung up on , the eTrex has a joy stick , most the time I just have it in my pocket. I don't leave it on it only takes a few seconds to lock on after the initial lock in a area. I carry extra batteries and , ALWAYS have a compass usually 2 , I had a GPS go loopy in a Lightning storm years ago. I use mine for way more than just locating camp or the truck . You can do a lot in conjunction with Google Earth. If I bought one now it would be a Montana or a Monterra because of the bigger screen.

Not sure on the cell phone's I always thought they had to have reception for the GPS part to work . Most place's I hunt I never have reception and when I do the battery is at 30%.

Some older models they're phasing out can be had for a pretty good price. 3 axis compass and water proof were important to me , GLONASS would be nice. I don't know what your budget is but here are some models I've seen on sale. You'll have to look and see if they offer what you want. Hope this helps KH

Garmin eTrex 30
Garmin 62
Garmin 64
Oregon 450
Oregon 600

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
The GPS is always right.

True, right up to the point when it isn't. I've seen them fail, and I'm not talking about battery life either. And it was a Garmin.

Personally, I go minimalist with a Foretrex 401. High sensitivity receiver, but I can do without a map on a screen, since I always have a paper copy.

Really helps in the dark or in really thick brush like we had this past August. Hard to know if you're on the right route when you can only see five feet in front of you.

The 401 is also my favorite for hunting in areas where I have a topo for sure. I have a 62st for roaming around though.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Relying on GPS is an excellent way to get hopelessly lost. I use the top of the line Magellan for work and play. It is amazing how often that thing does not know where it is.

The trick to not getting lost is keeping tabs on where you are, even when using a GPS. If you do that, you'll know when the GPS has gone of the rails in time to keep from losing yourself.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Relying on GPS is an excellent way to get hopelessly lost. I use the top of the line Magellan for work and play. It is amazing how often that thing does not know where it is.

The trick to not getting lost is keeping tabs on where you are, even when using a GPS. If you do that, you'll know when the GPS has gone of the rails in time to keep from losing yourself.

Sounds like you better get a better GPS. Garmin makes some good units you should take a look at...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boise
Wireless coverage isn't necessary for the GPS function.

No, but battery power is.

Still using my Oregon 400 T

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you say so. I've used Garmins before. They weren't any better. I have also used the backpack style GIS accuracy level units. It seems to me that people who feel they can rely on GPS don't pay close enough attention to it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I primarily use a map & compass and if I need to verify my location I use an app on my iphone.

I used to own a garmin gps years ago and sold it because I wasn't using it enough to carry it then last year I finally got one again but that same day I found an app for my phone which easily outperformed my new garmin. I returned the garmin and I don't think I'll ever even consider buying another gps again. The resolution on my phone is outstanding and it's easier to use!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.