Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Looking to put one on an 18" -.308 and need some advice. Would like to get a short lightweight model.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You always sacrifice suppression for length. I have a short Thunderbeast 30-PSS, but it primarily stays on the SBR for keeping it short (5") and easy to use. I bought it first, and mainly shoot 300 blackout subsonics, so the length is not a problem. Subsonics are very quiet anyway.

For the 308, I would recommend either a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or Ultra 9. They are excellent. Due to the backlog with Thunderbeast, I went with SAS Arbiter. I don't think I give up much with suppression with the SAS over the TB?

Most large cans are titanium now, so weight is not too bad either way you go.

Personally, I'd buy the best suppressor you can afford first, quiet over length.

I can't remember the manufacturer, but there is a new suppressor out there that is adjustable in length. You can take sections off to make shorter, at the sacrifice of suppression. My FFL had one in stock when I picked up my SAS. Pretty cool concept.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Check out the Rugged Surge. It's the one I was thinking about with the modular options to make 7.5 inches or 9 inches.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Silencerco Harvester. It was designed for that.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
+1 on the Harvester. This was my first year to hunt with a suppressor. Really am likkin' hunting with it. I have shot several times, dropped a coupla deer, and the other hunters on the lease that I am on never heard me shoot. Hunting on 1300 acres, mostly fields. Weighs 11 oz and is 8.5 inches long.

I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With harvester being said, I went with an Ultra 9 just because I wanted a max efficiency can and didn't mind paying extra. The harvester is half the price. I would have went with it if I was not worried about fire rate on my ARs.

Another good looking option is Silencerco's hybrid. It's not in the site, but I got email. It will attach to ANYTHING. Pistol or rifle from 5.56 upto .458. It's rated for .338 lapua. For someone looking for 1 can to swap on anything, it's a great looking option.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How much velocity loss on a 18" 308 to get the maximum sound reduction?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
And, gonna express my take on suppressors, if I may. I did a lot of research on suppressors when I got my first one. And, I came to the conclusion that the db reduction that is claimed on the different suppressors is sorta like Horse Power numbers that car guys like to talk about. It is mainly for sales of the suppressors. For me, as long as I can shoot without hearing protection, the db rating is a mute point. I dont do wet work for the government, I am not interested in taking out the rebel leader and I am not interested in a totally silent gun for hunting. I hunt with ammo that will exceed the sound barrier, so I get the super sonic crack of the bullet. Nothing I am going to do about that. I like fast bullets. But the bang of firing the gun is what I am looking to work on. I doubt that in a hunting situation, you would not be able to distinguish a 3 db difference between two different suppressors. You will be able to hear a different tone, but that is about it. I have a Huntertown arms Kestrel in 556. It is a full auto rated can, can be taken down and cleaned, and works on everything from the .223 down thru all the rimfire guns that I have. Compared it to the Harveter on my 223, cant really tell the difference in reduction between the two. Except that I dont need hearing protection for using either one. I got the Huntertown Arms for about 200 less than the Harvester. Point being is this, dont get caught up in the db ratings. Look at the user reviews of the different cans that are out there. Then choose the one that will cover the most situations that you are looking to use it for.

I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a SAS Reaper MX which was just released this week. It beats the Ulra 9 by 3db and it's only 7" long and weighs 10.4oz.

New SAS MX LIne

Call Steve at Colonial Armory 816-718-9489, he will take care of you and has all the other suppressors mentioned. He is very knowledgeable and can answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 01/23/16.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another vote for the SAS line, I personally run a TiArbiter.... and so do a few buddies.... but all their suppressors are excellent.

The Harvester is also an excellent can, but Al cans are not as durrable as the Ti suppressors.

Animal reaction to suppressed rounds is interesting, they don't seem alarmed, and have trouble locating the source of the sound.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nothing suppresses good hunting like spicy chili with beans.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a lane scorpion magnum Titanium. I got it in the event I ever get a magnum again. they also make smaller 30 cal versions. here's a link to their page. they make AMAZING suppressors, worth every penny.

http://lane-products.com/products.html

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tzone
Nothing suppresses good hunting like spicy chili with beans.

Ringman endorses the Cough Silencer butt-plug for just such an occasion... I believe he runs the quick-attach version so he doesn't even have to remove his head from his ass prior to installation....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to Steve who has already tested the Reaper MX the sound at your ear using a 6.5 Creed will be around 115-120db which is like a .22 subsonic. That's pretty impressive. The Barricade was coming in at 125db at the ear.

I had originally picked the Barricade which was designed for the .260/6.5 rifles and PRS match shooters.

I'm glad I waited, now I will have a .30 cal can which has more versatility and will be quieter on anything I put it on than the 6.5 Barricade.

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 01/24/16.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best line I have heard about the wait time on a suppressor. grin

"Buying a suppressor is like dating a girl, who won't have sex till marriage! Your paying for it, you have seen it, maybe touched it......but you haven't fired one off in it yet! It only get's better my friend, only women get louder!"-mtngroan

- Michael Friedman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have and use a SAS Arbiter of a 16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor....very nice, very accurate, very quiet. Mile High shooting has them on sale for about $250 less than Thunderbeast which is why I bought mine.

I also have Crux, Tbac 30 and Harvester...suppression is basically equal on all of them....no real practical difference. Very quiet and nice to shoot, once you have one, unsuppressed seems unacceptable.

The Harvester is the lightest and lowest cost....the SAS and TBac have the best craftsmanship. If your rate of fire does not exceed 10 rds/min before cooling aka (a deer hunting rifle), the Harvester is probably what I would do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 450 Marlin is rattling my teeth at the range:)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
My 450 Marlin is rattling my teeth at the range:)

Here's a breakdown with a scientific approach:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/12/12/rifle-suppressor/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harvester .30 my first CF suppressor and I love it.

Need to call Silencerco to see if firing a few quick shots at moving varmints with a AR-15 5.56 are gonna harm it.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kruger7734
For me, as long as I can shoot without hearing protection, the db rating is a mute point.

That's funny right there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.