Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Obviously this question is for guys who go on guided hunts, and not wanting to hijack Drum's social media post, how do you research and book your hunts? A friend of mine says his Facebook page does way more business than his web page. Do you use social media to research outfitters? Booking agents? Do you go to shows and talk to guys in booths? Do you research guys you see on tv? I'll be honest, this is kind of market research. I'm not on facebook or have a website, but curious if that's the way to go.

Jared

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd starve as an outfitter if social media was required... I hate the stuff.

That said its probably good I"m not an outfitter.

I'd be chasing all bases if I was after a guided hunt, and I would narrow down by my gut, and then make a LOT of phone calls, to folks that were both successful and not... I want all sides of the story.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jared,

By market research, do you mean you're a guide/outfitter interested in gaining more visibility, or a hunter looking to make a sound choice when the time comes?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not quite sure what are all the attractions to Social media, but things are definitely going that way.

Fishing reports for Lake Erie for example, Many/most good up to date reports are on facebook, while Walleyecentral is basically dead.

Could be it's the lame ass Barney Fife moderators on many websites. Moderators are worse than mall cops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Jared,

By market research, do you mean you're a guide/outfitter interested in gaining more visibility, or a hunter looking to make a sound choice when the time comes?

My thoughts exactly

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I just got back from the Houston Safari Club convention and I was thinking as I walked out that this was not a good way for outfitters to get clients. It would have been good back in the old pre-internet days, but now, no.

I get most of my info. from off the hunting forums I hang out on. I either get it from the Outfitters and Guides forums or else from recommendations in threads.

From there I go to the Outfitter website to get more information.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to booking guided hunts, but I have done several over the years. All of the outfitters I've used have websites but don't think any use facebook.

Hunters are a small community and it's not that hard to find first hand accounts of whoever you are looking to book with. The first hunt I ever did I used a well known booking agent. Since then I've just used the contacts I've made through hunting. A lot of the guides work for or have worked for many different outfitters and are a good source of knowledge once you get to know them. I research their advice plus the experience of people I know. I doubt I would now book with anyone I could not get first hand knowledge of from someone I know.

Websites are nice for contact info, but that's about it. There is no way to know if the pictures and descriptions are accurate.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I guide for different outfitters and run a few hunts for myself with a very small repeat clientele. Just curious as to the benefits of social media, should I want to grow.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i've booked more hunts from ebay than i have social media...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if you are joking or not, but I wouldn't even book my mother-in-law a hunt off ebay (or craigslist).

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Hunting Report is the greatest source of information available to the traveling hunter. Reports by hunters who have actually hunted with specific outfitters & PH's. Another good source is the Safari Club International & Dallas Safari Club Conventions. I run our local SCI outfitters show in DC area & all the outfitters(hunt donors) are well vetted. None of my friends which are over 50 could care less about social media.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I use word of mouth and existing clientele BUT I've been fortunate enough to build that over 24 years.

Social Media is a good way to promote a business for an outfitter. No question about it but I'd look at Darr and Colburns Facebook site to see how they do it. Super classy

The issues I have are with guys that just want to make a name for themselves and really have nothing else to offer. I know of two felons that are raging alcoholics/drug abusers that have a huge following. Perception is not reality and you have to be careful who you trust. Both those guys have been in prison but nobody knows it

Facebook is a $h!t show but it can help you get clients.

Good booking agents are a huge asset as well

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Since "vetting process" now, here's what I've done and am doing:

- Google is your friend. Find all sorts of stuff from reviews, web sites with references, legal proceedings if any etc etc etc

- web sites, how up to date is it? And really expect it updated much during the fall. However if things like the copyright are 3+ years old, old pictures, etc. that's not a good sign. More and more are NOT posting prices, which I hate, but understand why, I can usually use this to eliminate some as budget miss-matches.

- A few hunting web sites have review sections, hunters who've visited etc.

- Figure out preference points and tag options. That may restrict you or at least make you plan more years ahead.

With all that, you still have to keep in mind that you don't know who it is that you are listening to.

Start with email to the outfitter, use the web sites "contact us" page. Ask them some easy, but specific questions, see how they answer. Often times I get a phone call as a return, which then I can start the "do I trust them" aspect, which is a gut feel.

Do they follow up when they say they will? Do they give vague answers to specific questions?

I'd rather meet them at a show, I like to read body language and I get a better feeling when I do this, but most don't do shows and I ask them why.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i used ebay back when i starte up and was moving hunts at discounted prices to build up clientel and references. it worked very well.

i will add that doing tv shows is not the way to book hunts! unless maybe your selling reasonably priced turkey hunts or something, but five digit dall sheep and grizzly bear hunts don't move because someone on tv smiles and says book with so and so.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im hitting the hunting forums too, and looking at unsolicited recommendations .

Only thing in my mind better than that is good word of mouth from someone I know that has hunted there..

But...in my opinion a website is critical ( not Facebook...) and one that supplies all necessary info....if prices aren't on it it gets canned immediately.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Local stuff I book on my own. Once I start going out of state I usually go on the recommendation of a friend. When the hunt starts costing serious coin or goes across seas, I'll talk to Greg Brownlee at nealandbrownlee.com.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sevens
When the hunt starts costing serious coin or goes across seas, I'll talk to Greg Brownlee at nealandbrownlee.com.

Greg is a GOOD dude! A good friend of mine, Trey Sperring, is working with those guys and he is a stud as well. They are 100% committed to all aspects of their clients hunts

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wadecrosshairconsulting.com

Wade Derby will help you out

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ill second Wade Derby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call my buddies to see which one wants to go then clear it with the wife... wink laugh

The couple of times I've used a guide/transporter I found them myself via the internet and contacted them directly. I could see that changing if I am able to do more guided hunts in the future. My limits mean I'm generally on a shoe-string budget and therefore am on my own or with a pard where we split planning/expenses as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.