-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our primitive weapon season ends Sunday and I've not seen one rack buck the whole year. Started hunting in mid October. Most snakebit I've ever been. Hard to even see a shootable doe. At least half a dozen times I've gone to sure-thing spots after others have seen a dozen or more and gotten totally skunked. Guy hunting same stands with me got shots at 4 rack bucks this season. Go figure......

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
WE Had one of our best seasons ever in KY ....Great rutting action for 3 weeks, lots of Mature Bucks....Last year was almost as good...I have a friend that Hunts around Wytheville VA and they had a Great season also killed a bunch of Mature Deer.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 01/22/16.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two more meat deer for tatelaw and I today

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Caught this bastage sleeping in a field in LA grin

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow nice!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

K
K

Originally Posted by 444Matt
Gotcha, I'm hunting south east Montgomery county, close to Pine Level. They are just starting to rut this week down here.

Matt,

I am hunting pine level area as well. A few minutes from Sikes and kohns actually.

I got down here Friday night and have been hunting since. Saturday morning was wide open, saw bucks running does but that afternoon and sunday were dead. Weather is miserable and not supposed to get any better until Thursday. Bucks have all been spotted in the woods, fields are a bust this year as stated already. I have found hardwoods or Crp to be the best option for morning and planted pines around food plots for the evening. Best of luck!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Middle Georgia was about the same as everyone is reporting it was in Alabama. I never saw a deer until after the first of the year.

Our local processors are reporting this year is 1/3 to 1/2 of what is expected in a normal year.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Expecting a huge carryover of bucks where I hunt. Kill was down a tad because of warm weather.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K5Hunter

Gotcha, I'm hunting south east Montgomery county, close to Pine Level. They are just starting to rut this week down here.

Matt,

I am hunting pine level area as well. A few minutes from Sikes and kohns actually.

I got down here Friday night and have been hunting since. Saturday morning was wide open, saw bucks running does but that afternoon and sunday were dead. Weather is miserable and not supposed to get any better until Thursday. Bucks have all been spotted in the woods, fields are a bust this year as stated already. I have found hardwoods or Crp to be the best option for morning and planted pines around food plots for the evening. Best of luck!

Yup hunted Friday and Saturday as well. Nothing Friday and passed an three does Saturday morning hoping a buck was following, no luck. I was sick all Saturday night and spent Sunday in the bed.

I'll be back Friday and it will be my last hunt of the year, if it's brown, well you know.

With the low harvest this year I'm looking forward to next year. This is the first season I've hunted this property in years, looking forward to putting up a few stands in the hardwood bottoms for next season. These guys have pretty much stuck to their shooting houses over greenfield and I believe are missing out. The deer only hit those fields at night this year, you got to hunt their travel routes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Didn't ya'll have "blue tongue" hit your area this year? Seems I remember my son in law say that Mississippi got hit! Though I'm getting senile,I may have dreamed it. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AMRA

I would have taken that SOB to court. Let a judge hash it out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it's interesting that the deer in Alabama are just now rutting. Is this the first rut?

Everyone I've talked to here had a slow season. It was really warm here this fall and I think the deer weren't moving that much. The other problem is the coyotes. I've got them running around like crazy maniacs. I think the does headed out of that neck of the woods. All I had were bucks and very little does. I generally average about 12 every year, but by the time Christmas came, I only had 4. The week after Christmas, I shot 4 more. I took out one of the yotes right after Thanksgiving. I got 4 bucks. 1 nice 8 pt., a busted up 8 pt., a 6 pt., a spike and 4 does.

This is the 8 point.

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For my part of Alabama yes, thankfully we now have an extended season to Feb 10th to allow us to hunt the rut. Other parts of the state have much earlier rut.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
3/4 the bucks I saw in a 5 day hunt DEc 31-Jan4 were rutting some more then others, I only recall one batchelor group in a greenfield where they were civil towards each other.

Interesting in that the rut was supposed to be happening in Feb and all I saw were batchelor groups of bucks hitting the feed heavy last year

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For my part of Alabama yes, thankfully we now have an extended season to Feb 10th to allow us to hunt the rut. Other parts of the state have much earlier rut.

I'll tell ya, you learn something new every day. Damn, those deer must be dropping Bambies in May or June? Heck, most of our bucks are losing their racks right about now. We have our first big rut the beginning to middle of November, and then a smaller one in late December.

Ronald Reagan
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yip not uncommon to see yearlings that still have a few spots on them in mid November.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was tough here in the Northern Shenandoah Valley, even on the small plot of private land my younger son hunts, which has been a regular killing ground in the past.Only three deer taken by my and my two sons. Only one was a buck, but it was the biggest buck my older son has taken to date, and to top it off he took it with my pre-64 and hand-loads with 160gr NPs. Bang-flop.

This was my fourth season hunting strictly public ground and it confirmed my notion that I'd better shoot the first deer I can, and then worry about horns afterward. I've yet to lay eyes on one after the second day for two seasons now. Time for plan B, I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I saw one with spots during Christmas vacation here. When would that one have been born?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.