Print Thread
Hop To
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a .270 win, fwt stock. Been having problems with accuracy and it appears the stock and barrel are touch and not free floating any more. tried the dollar bill test between the stock and barrel and it does not freely slide and gets hung up. Ive tried to separate the stock from the barrel and it will not budge. Removed all the screws and its almost as if the action is glued to the barrel.

Any suggestions on how to remove the action from the stock?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are 3 screws- did you get the middle one??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you owned this since new? Is it bedded? Have you ever removed it before?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If it is of recent manufacture they use a hot glue type material around the recoil lug. That could be holding on. Make sure all the screws are removed, open the floorplate and there is likely one in there as well as the front and behind the trigger guard. If it still doesn't come out, put the front screw in several turns but not tight. Put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the driver with a mallet or handle. This should loosen the action to drop it out unless someone screwed up a bedding job and glued the action in.

Last edited by gzig5; 01/18/16.
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have never taken it apart and I have owned it since new, so I know that it has never been bedded.

I will try the screw driver and mallet and see if this works.

Thanks

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
US repeating used a thermo-setting material for a while in the 90s. Mine have come apart but I supposed it could be sticky. There is a screw under the floor plate- don't miss that one.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put it in the freezer overnight and whack it good... not likely it will refuse. Do not use the screw to force it unless you want to replace them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
rjf,

What Sitka deer posted.

Contrary to what gzig posted, the hot-glue bedding hasn't been used since M70 production was moved to South Carolina almost a decade ago. Both the SC and Portugal M70's use epoxy bedding around the recoil lug, which is often very tight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rjf
I have never taken it apart and I have owned it since new, so I know that it has never been bedded.

I will try the screw driver and mallet and see if this works.

Thanks

Don't use a screw driver and mallet. USRAC used a funky epoxy that many of us refer to as "hot glue bedding". They weren't real good about using release agent sometimes:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rjf
I have a .270 win, fwt stock. Been having problems with accuracy and it appears the stock and barrel are touch and not free floating any more. tried the dollar bill test between the stock and barrel and it does not freely slide and gets hung up. Ive tried to separate the stock from the barrel and it will not budge. Removed all the screws and its almost as if the action is glued to the barrel.

Any suggestions on how to remove the action from the stock?

Lay down a bath towel, folded 2X. Remove all 3 action screws (unless it's the 1-piece unit) and the bolt. Turn rifle upside down, get a good grip on the stock near the fore-most screw and, with a rubber mallet, give the barrel a good couple taps just ahead of the fore-end tip. You'll be able to feel when it begins to let loose. And if, by some chance, it comes free all of a sudden it won't be damaged when it drops a couple inches onto the towel..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.