Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Now that I've got the Africa bug out of my system (ahem), I'm looking at a hunt this spring in my old stomping grounds in northern Alberta. Well, a tad north of my old stomping grounds, but close.

I talked to several outfitters at the recent Dallas Safari Club convention and I was duly impressed by the overall quality of hunts being offered. Nice accommodations, decent prices, good overall success rates, and you can't beat the fact that there are 2 bear tags on license!

The best outfitters in my estimation are in the Peace River area and the Calling Lake area. I'm out of town for work today so I don't have any names to throw out there, but I will when I get back.

My plan is to head up before Victoria Day for a 4-day hunt. Fly in to Edmonton, stay with my sister, then catch the shuttle flight up to the hunting area out of the Muni. I'd really like to bring my little brother along, too... he is disabled by MS and is on a small fixed income, so a guided hunt is beyond his means. I can't afford to pay for him to hunt, but he could come along as a non-hunting guest, and if I did manage to fill both tags, well, one of the hides could stay at his house instead of being flown back to Texas. And if we were sitting in a stand together, and I happened to be answering a call of nature when a bear showed up, and he had to shoot it for me, well, those are the breaks... wink

I'd be obliged if anyone on this forum has positive recommendations as to outfitters. For that matter, share your negative ones, too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kakwa outfitter

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc,

If current exchange rates persist until your trip, it will be a cheap trip too with the Northern Peso at such a low value to the US dollar!

There are lots of big bears in Alberta, and the northern parts have a lot of interesting colour phases.

Many years ago I watched a beautiful cinnamon coloured bear for 15 minutes -- just the day before bear season opened. cry

John

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Doc; no experience with outfitters in Alberta; I will throw in my two cents that I find the peace country to me more scenic with a greater variety of terrain than the Calling Lake country. But you used to live here and I'm sure know that already.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe you're not aware, but there is no "muni" anymore, .....everything moves out of the International1

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
No, I wasn't aware they'd closed the Muni... Edmonton International used to suck as an airport, the Muni was much better/more convenient.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, I'm much more interested in hunting the Peace country.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
James,

Are you looking for a tree stand hunt or spot and stalk? I have done both, two blacks in Alberta via stand and a BC combo black and grizzly whilst living up here. The latter hunt ruled without question. I had zero pleasure sitting in a stand just as I do here in Taxas.

Ed

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Doc…there is a good man up here by the name of Greg Sutley. A very knowledgeable and personable fellow….he is also a contributing member of the Grande Prairie AFGA.

His website: [url= http://www.smokyriveroutfitting.com/][/url]

His contact info:
Phone: 780-957-3100
Cell: 780-876-9100
gregsmokyriveroutfitting.com

Regards,
Derek

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Ed, it will have to be a stand hunt over bait, as my brother has MS. ON a good day he can walk well, but there's no predicting the state of his health 4 months in advance, so it's safer to book a hunt where he'll be able to sit.

I prefer spot-and-stalk, and have plans for mountain grizzly along those lines next spring. But this hunt will be less strenuous for my brother's sake.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Doc, you more interested in a big bear or a colour phase? Several years ago I saw a pic of a blonde bear out of the Peace River country, a big blonde. Nicest looking black bear I have ever seen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
McKinnon and Company HuntMCOcom. has a hunting lodge on the shore of Calling Lake, AB. I've hunted whitetail with them and they run a pretty well organized hunting camp and also seem to do well on bear according to some of the other hunters I was in camp with. The other hunters also talked about Bear Paw Outfitters in the Peace river area.

I think the good outfitters will be getting booked up soon.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
South Peace Outfitters. Don Lind is the owners name. Hunted with him and it was unreal. 4 hunters killed 8 bears in 4 days. 4 black and 4 colored. All bullsh&#t aside I personally seen 43 bears in 4 days of hunting and I sat 4 different stands. I shot a small black with my bow(first bear) and a 6'2" blonde on the 4th day. It is crazy how many bears he has. Nice lodge and awesome food.

Roy

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Pat, I think the blonde/brown bears are pretty, but nothing is as handsome as a deep black coat to my eye. As there are 2 bears on license, I may end up with a color phase bear, but I'd prefer black.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
SD, RT, thanks for the info, guys. I've checked into most of the outfitters y'all have suggested. Green Island Outfitters was my first choice, but they're already booked solid. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple other ones before I finalize booking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.