Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
We are thinking about another dog. I have an acquaintance who successfully field trials a couple of GSPs and is going to breed his oldest bitch to another trial dog this spring. We would not be training this dog to compete or even to do serious hunting. It would be a house dog that would be a walking companion for us and a light training partner for me. We would be looking for a small, intelligent, athletic bitch.

Tell me what your experiences are with the breed.

Thanks, RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 01/21/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the breed. Current pup is 10 mo old. Just realize that if a GSP does not get daily vigorous excise and is not mentally stimulated, he/she may likely become a problem dog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you’re asking this question. What Fair Chase said can't be overemphasized. I have found it's not easy owning a GSP but very rewarding if you’re willing to put in the work. When we're hunting I have to keep a close eye on him and force him to take breaks because I'm pretty sure he would literally run himself to death if left on his own. After much bickering, we've finally reached an agreement and he reluctantly rides on the Mule from place to place. And if you're not hunting/exercising near water, you need to carry water - lots and lots of water.

My current GSP is the first one I've owned and will likely be the start of many more. I got lucky and found him by accident on CraigsList. A well-meaning lady bought him from a private breeder and apparently didn’t do a lot of research beforehand. She lived alone in a 2 bedroom condo, so the dog spent an average of 10-hours a day in a crate during the week. She was a professional woman who made a good living and had a lot of nice, expensive, breakable stuff in her condo. By the time she got home from work and lopened the crate he would come out of there like the Tasmanian Devil and turn her condo into a pinball machine, including knocking over her granddaughter a few times and terrorizing her senior dog. The craziness got progressively worse and at 4 months old and 35 pounds she decided to find him a more appropriate home.

PS: A little GSP entertainment. The guy who made the vid has a dog from some folks I know out in southwest VA. A tremendous amount of work went into making this video. Kind of makes me wish I was 30-years younger.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-rebbeOM2nU&app=desktop[/video]

Last edited by rlott; 01/25/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.