Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Or, the same things by different names.

We drink pop, not soda.

We use the washroom not the restroom.

We still spell using the Queen's English and put the "U" in its proper place in words like Humour & Colour

We express distance in "klicks" not miles.

Booze comes in twenty-sixers, 40 Pounders, and Mickeys. A Texas Mickey sounds American but is as Canadian as Maple Syrup.

1 Canadian gallon is as large as 1.2 American gallons. (That's why Canadian cars get such great gas mileage!)

Real Whisky - not Whiskey - is made with rye grain.

We wear runners on our feet not sneakers.

Poutine, Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, and split-pea soup are all foods.

Robertson screwdrivers are 100% Canadian.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Malt vinegar on chips is the best.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
A little correction for you. Poutine is curds on fries then gravy on top of that. Gravy on fries has the distinct name of "Gravy on fries". I've never had Poutine and don't want to thank you very much. I have had gravy on Biscuits and am sorry I ever tried it. Must be an acquired taste and I believe is part of the homeland security thing because I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed this side of the border, which is okay because they can keep it.

Another acquired taste is Rye Whiskey. I've been told in an American Tavern, that "We only sell quality products here!" when asked for one. Turns out they quite happily sell "Canadian Blended Whiskey". In the same bottles and brands as I buy Rye.

Pea-meal Bacon is Pea-meal Bacon and is indeed back bacon inside the pea-meal. I was told by Ontarioian that it is as Canadian as could be but had NEVER heard of it out west. Had it/saw it for the first time in my mid fifties on a visit to Ontario.

Chesterfield vs. Sofa

A "Fifth" vs a ? referring to the missing 20% (1/5th) of a gallon subtracted for tax purpose to make the US gallon from the Imperial gallon. We don't have a missing "fifth" here.

A Ton vs a Tonne, pronounced the same. 2000 pounds vs 1000 kilograms (2200 pounds).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg S;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well, warm and dry as the first month of 2016 draws near to a close.

I've got to say I must have been over 50 when one of our daughters talked me into trying poutine fries with her from the local fry truck in Penticton.

Despite how it sounds and frankly looks as well - those were pretty tasty actually.

The "best" poutine fries I've had were in the Hooded Merganser restaurant in Penticton where the gravy was some kind of duck confit so they claimed. I dunno what it all was made of, but this guy really thought they were quite a stretch beyond pretty fair eating. wink

Just one of the many things our girls helped me stretch a bit in I guess.

Anyway sir, I am with you on gravy on biscuits, though the stuff I tried at a breakfast bar in Spokane were likely not the finest example one might have encountered. laugh

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Biscuits and Gravy in Canada? I may have to rethink my Hunting trip next fall> smile

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
No Biscuits and Gravy in Canada? I may have to rethink my Hunting trip next fall> smile

7mmMato;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this cool, still last Saturday of January finds you well.

To clarify a wee bit - we do in fact have biscuits in Canada - some of them you'll find for sale at purveyors of edible goods.

In the same vein, gravy is available in such establishments as well, though I must say less so.

What we don't do typically however is mix the two. wink eek

Now I will say this about that - if you were to pick up an extra black bear tag, take one home with you and make sausage out of it - I'd think it'd be a wonderful foundation for sausage gravy.

That'd make it sorta a Canuck version of what you're asking for, would it not? laugh

Good luck on your hunt up here and all the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good morning Dwayne.

I'll toss in that I have yet, so far as I recall, dined on biscuits, and gravy North of the 49th.
That does not by any means I have not dined exceeding well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good day to you sir, I'm hoping that the morning has been a good one thus far for you folks too.

It's just above freezing here, a slight drizzle falling and about perfect weather for a couple indoor firearm projects that I've got to get done before the weather turns nice enough to do yard work.

It'd be a bit muddy for calving now however, though it's a month off for that I'd think.

Anyway sir, I'm heartened to learn that we've not starved you out in your travels on this side of the medicine line. wink

Perhaps years ago food might have been a bit more regional up here, but nowadays with our nomadic lifestyle it's not tough to find too Thai, Indian, Vietnamese or "insert your favorite ethnic food here" type of restaurant up here. Good heavens we even see "British" food restaurants in our part of the world - and there's even vehicles parked there on occasion too - suggesting once again there's no accounting for taste! laugh

All the best to you this weekend wabigoon, I'd better go check the wood stove in the garage now to see if it's time to drag out the arms getting worked over this weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne: sounds like down here. In some major metro areas there are restaurants featuring " Irish Cuisine"....

An oxymoron if there ever was one shocked

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Top of the morning to you sir, thanks for the chuckle!

I'm with you on the puzzlement of what "Irish cuisine" just might be.

In these parts, most establishments that have an Irish slant on them feature alcohol - lots and lots of alcohol......

Typically we call 'em bars or pubs. wink

All the best to you folks this weekend sir.

Dwayne

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The best biscuits and gravy I ever had in Canada were not in a restaurant but rather made by a lady up in Pickle Lake Ontario - this k the furthest north town in Ontario you can drive to. She was from N Carolina, and she made great biscuits.

Her gravy was made by frying shaved smoked ham in butter and oils and then adding a milk and flour mix to get the white gravy. It was rich, and when I asked for my second helping, I said, "I think I just felt some blood moving in my veins. Do you think I could try another helping of that angel food?" smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

No...not as we know biscuits and gravy..

They'll put brown gravy on anything.....including your breakfast, if you ask.... sick

Other food differences I've noted: they have the BEST ketchup ! Sweeter than ours.

They don't seem to be aware that a Patty Melt or a Reuben is made on rye bread.

They don't seem to know margaritas come in "margarita flavor"..

They are apparently not aware of the existence of bourbon.

If you are in Alberta you need to smear a little Cattle Boys BBQ sauce on your steak..it aint what it sounds like and we always bring a couple bottles home. Delish!

I like a lot of their lager style beer.

If in Alberta Rickards Red is as good a beer as Ive ever had. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The best biscuits and gravy I ever had in Canada were not in a restaurant but rather made by a lady up in Pickle Lake Ontario - this k the furthest north town in Ontario you can drive to. She was from N Carolina, and she made great biscuits.

Her gravy was made by frying shaved smoked ham in butter and oils and then adding a milk and flour mix to get the white gravy. It was rich, and when I asked for my second helping, I said, "I think I just felt some blood moving in my veins. Do you think I could try another helping of that angel food?" smile

Lady from North Carolina. is that Miss Lynn by chance?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
wabigoon;
Good day to you sir, I'm hoping that the morning has been a good one thus far for you folks too.

It's just above freezing here, a slight drizzle falling and about perfect weather for a couple indoor firearm projects that I've got to get done before the weather turns nice enough to do yard work.

It'd be a bit muddy for calving now however, though it's a month off for that I'd think.

Anyway sir, I'm heartened to learn that we've not starved you out in your travels on this side of the medicine line. wink

Perhaps years ago food might have been a bit more regional up here, but nowadays with our nomadic lifestyle it's not tough to find too Thai, Indian, Vietnamese or "insert your favorite ethnic food here" type of restaurant up here. Good heavens we even see "British" food restaurants in our part of the world - and there's even vehicles parked there on occasion too - suggesting once again there's no accounting for taste! laugh

All the best to you this weekend wabigoon, I'd better go check the wood stove in the garage now to see if it's time to drag out the arms getting worked over this weekend.

Dwayne

Doing great Dwayne hope all is well with you. 55 degrees today in Missouri. Spent the day putting snow chains on my tractor and fixing hydraulic leaks. Shot some pistols and went to the gym. We have a big storm possible headed this way they say we could get a dusting of snow up to 18" depending on how the system progresses. Everyone is freaking out.

So in my infinite wisdom I ordered a set of snow shoes from Amazon and put chains on the tractor. My experience is that by being prepared I have now put the Vex on the storm and It wont even snow here. If I put off the chain installation it will snow 3 foot with 60 mph winds. I like the snow but no one else seems to around here.

On the Biscuits and Gravy I guess I can overlook them not being readily available in Canada as they really aren't what you want to be eating to lose weight. So I guess I will still mosey on up there in September and shoot at some Moose. I hope that Crown Royal and Diet Coke are available up there. Have a good weekend.

Charles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

No...not as we know biscuits and gravy..

They'll put brown gravy on anything.....including your breakfast, if you ask.... sick

Other food differences I've noted: they have the BEST ketchup ! Sweeter than ours.

They don't seem to be aware that a Patty Melt or a Reuben is made on rye bread.

They don't seem to know margaritas come in "margarita flavor"..

They are apparently not aware of the existence of bourbon.

If you are in Alberta you need to smear a little Cattle Boys BBQ sauce on your steak..it aint what it sounds like and we always bring a couple bottles home. Delish!

I like a lot of their lager style beer.

If in Alberta Rickards Red is as good a beer as Ive ever had. grin

Brown Gravy at Breakfast is a Unpardonable Sin. Im betting Becky Creek is not a mainstay up there either.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Lady from North Carolina. is that Miss Lynn by chance?

Nope. A missionary's wife our family spent time with. Good folks.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, as an aside, when you weren't eating biscuits and gravy how did you and the family make out moose hunting this past fall?

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps the most "Canuckishm" of all, Hydro, as electric power.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Keith, as an aside, when you weren't eating biscuits and gravy how did you and the family make out moose hunting this past fall?

Jim

Jim,

We didn't make out at all. The tag situation around here was abysmal. And calf season only two weeks? Sadly, I couldn't see wasting fifty plus dollars on a tag. How did your crew fare?

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
wabigoon;

Dwayne

Doing great Dwayne hope all is well with you. 55 degrees today in Missouri. Spent the day putting snow chains on my tractor and fixing hydraulic leaks. Shot some pistols and went to the gym. We have a big storm possible headed this way they say we could get a dusting of snow up to 18" depending on how the system progresses. Everyone is freaking out.

So in my infinite wisdom I ordered a set of snow shoes from Amazon and put chains on the tractor. My experience is that by being prepared I have now put the Vex on the storm and It wont even snow here. If I put off the chain installation it will snow 3 foot with 60 mph winds. I like the snow but no one else seems to around here.

On the Biscuits and Gravy I guess I can overlook them not being readily available in Canada as they really aren't what you want to be eating to lose weight. So I guess I will still mosey on up there in September and shoot at some Moose. I hope that Crown Royal and Diet Coke are available up there. Have a good weekend.

Charles

You bet Crown and Coke is available North of the Medicine Line.
Gibsons is a staple in our moose camp as a late evening beverage. Straight up or if there is a mountain creek close enough it gets mixed with glacier water.

Last edited by troutfly; 01/31/16.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.