Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I recall, on the old tea boxes, "Red Rose Coffee is as good as Red Rose Tea".

Tea is another topic?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=wabigoon]I recall, on the old tea boxes, "Red Rose Coffee is as good as Red Rose Tea".

Tea is another topic?

I'm gonna have to look for Red Rose coffee now.
Learn something new everyday. Must be a regional item.

I know when I moved from Alberta to Ontario in 1997 I had to bring MJB coffee with me as it wasn't available in Ont. I brought 4 cases of 1 pound cans with me, lasted till I moved back out West in 2000, I think I had a can or two left.

WRT tea my wife prefers Tetley with Red Rose a close second.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You mean some men actually drink tea? Just being polite to women, I suspect. blush

My mom used to drink Salada tea, and my daughter drinks Lyons tea in Ireland.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Brother, consider having the well water checked for traces of kryptonite again?

We used to make the Red Rose tea by the gallon.
The whole hay making crew drank it iced from the jug.
It cut that alfalfa gum in the mouth better than water.

Troutfly, I'm not sure Red Rose coffee is around anymore.
When you deal with me, remember my brain is somewhat fossilized.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My bear guide in New Brunswick said we were going out past the "hydro line". I was expecting a pipe line, surprised to find it was an elecrical high line. On the subject of coffee , Tim Horton's bought out a local chain of coffee/donut shops. Horton's coffee was damn near undrinkable and their donuts weren't any better. All their local shops closed within a few years. This part of New England is Dunkin Donuts territory.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cariboo;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warm on this last week of January.

I grew up around Yorkton mainly but spent 3½ years in Nipawin too and had family living in spots like Black Lake and Cumberland House - so I too had a pair of moccasins.

We surely did all have the green duck parkas for work - and had the slippery nylon shelled, goose down stuffed parkas made in Zenon Park for school wear.

Other than what's been mentioned, one term that seems to be a Saskatchewan/Alberta term is "boomer" or [b]"load boomer" instead of "chain binder" or "load binder" that they use here in BC.[/b]

Anyway if I think of a few more Canuckisms I'll add them later, but that's all I can muster at present.

All the best to you Cariboo.

Dwayne

Oh Ya, Hoser you COULD expand on that theme,....but I know your busy grinding bear into sausage, and plotting your Spring capers, so's I'll revert to type, and help ya' out.

When ya' hit Kamloops, East bound, you'll grab the "SNIPE", and "Settle Down" yer' "Boomers". Than you'll find some poor damned local to help you get your triple side "Jewelry" snugged up on yer' "Drivers",......Phew,....Tough, "Racket" that. Once you've rested in your sleeper, so's to stay square with the damned "Scale Cops", you'll be off,....just a "Gumbootin'er'" up, through, and over the Rogers Pass, ....and down into Golden.

Keep the shiny side up, Eh ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/05/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Wabigoon

Your post got me more than a bit curious so I did a bit of research into Red Rose Coffee. It seems that the Estabrook Red Rose Tea Co. made coffee in 1901 till sometime in the 40's or 50's. I found some vague references to the coffee and some collectable tins for auction. Seems it just kind of faded away.
Cool topic.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seeing I'm only one generation removed from your "other Province", I'll contribute one.

Made a venison Tourtière last week.My Grandmother's recipe. Easy to make and they hit the spot.
Campfire version....

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That pie looks good!

I have no photo to show, but at least in "my", neck of Ontario, they call chain load binders, "Bear Traps".
I've bought some on yard sales, and they work fine.
Instead of being made of forged steel, they seem to be made more with what I'll call for lack of better knowledge, bar steel.
The "traps", lock over center, (centre), but don't lock with the handle tight to the main body of the binder.
It take longer wire to make the "failsafe" connection.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see bunny hugs were mentioned but did anybody mention a toque? Im heading out for some night predator hunting and I had to get a new toque cause I couldn't find my other one.

It was sweet too, Molson Logo on the toque...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, the toques were early on, I'm planning on mixing some Red River Cereal.
Cracked rye, cracked wheat, ground flax seed, and whole flax.
I wish I knew the ratio.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry...I missed ( or forgot) the toques.

Anybody from Alberta will enjoy some Cattle Boys on their steak!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
[quote]

Oh Ya, Hoser you COULD expand on that theme,....but I know your busy grinding bear into sausage, and plotting your Spring capers, so's I'll revert to type, and help ya' out.

When ya' hit Kamloops, East bound, you'll grab the "SNIPE", and "Settle Down" yer' "Boomers". Than you'll find some poor damned local to help you get your triple side "Jewelry" snugged up on yer' "Drivers",......Phew,....Tough, "Racket" that. Once you've rested in your sleeper, so's to stay square with the damned "Scale Cops", you'll be off,....just a "Gumbootin'er'" up, through, and over the Rogers Pass, ....and down into Golden.

Keep the shiny side up, Eh ?

GTC

crossfire;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and the canine watchers of your operation doing acceptably well.

Thanks for the grin and fond memories you've twigged for me on this still first Saturday in the second month of the year.

For sure sir I'd have to opine you've "been there and done that" a time or seven if you knew that much local lingo.

"Snipe" when I use it at work still has some BC born and bred guys at work raising their eyebrows in wonder. wink

Being all of 5"6" at my tallest and weighing it at about 140lb in my younger days, I was a "snipe master" if you'd ever met one.

I still recall my elder and larger brother commenting to me one day when we were working on a tractor or implement, "God didn't make you very big Dwayne, so let's hope he made you smart". laugh laugh

Should note I had a chunk of Schedule 80 sorta tubing about 7' long I used when knocking the 18' breaking disc gangs apart crossfire....

Anyway sir, as always it's been a pleasure and thanks again.

Actually as an aside, there's no bear to grind this year, but a few dead standing Ponderosas that are too close to the house need to come down - already limbed and topped so the hard part is done.

That and I'm working over a vintage Lakefield Mossberg 500AB for our eldest as a tenting companion as she's carrying on the family tradition of camping in bear infested spots - like there are some which aren't in our fair province.....but anyway this thing is turning out to run slicker than an Okanagan road in winter. grin

Oh, since you're an expat and all, Happy BC Family Day long weekend to you too - it's a new one they gave us working stiffs a couple years back which originated in Alberta I think???

All the best to you crossfire and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Comes to mind, the notion that in Canada, all folks from the US, are "Yanks", or Yankees.
Now if one is from the south US, that strikes as bit odd.

In the States, only people from New England, and close by are "Yankees"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sched 80 snipe X 8 ' long seems to fall into my general approach to either breaking sockets or wringin' bolt heads right off.

Anything lighter or shorter is worth "Sweet Bugger All".

grin

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Sched 80 snipe X 8 ' long seems to fall into my general approach to either breaking sockets or wringin' bolt heads right off.

Anything lighter or shorter is worth "Sweet Bugger All".

grin

GTC

crossfire;
laugh laugh laugh

Exactly sir!

That would indeed be all it'd be worth. wink

Again you show your ability to speak the lingo of the west sir - the north of the medicine line west that I've existed in for half a century anyway.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sorry...I missed ( or forgot) the toques.

Anybody from Alberta will enjoy some Cattle Boys on their steak!

Had some on my elk steak tonight, warm enough today to fire up the bbq....should have taken a picture or three but it smelled oh so good I couldn't help myself!

Goes pretty darn good on Alberta Beef too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not much is more "Canuck" than C-I-L bullets like the .270 160 grain Kling Kore Soft Point & .30 calibre Sabre Tips

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 02/07/16.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This may fit in somewhere. [Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to let that one slide. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 46 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.