Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tom338 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I usually do not wear glasses while hunting but with open sights I struggle. What do you guys who wear glasses use? I am near sighted in one eye and farsighted in my dominant eye that I use to shoot with. Fiber optic sight are blurry without glasses on and I have a hard time because I also have bifocal lenses. I am thinking about putting
or trying peep sights, any opinions??

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try asking in the muzzleloader forum below!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom, I have all kinds of eye issues as well, but can shoot much better with my peep sighted renegade than with most others. I don't like the fiber optic sights and just use a relatively fine bead up front.

Going to try my Hawken this weekend with buckhorn sights and german front blade to see if my eyes can handle it. Haven't shot it in years.

But go peep if you can and I bet you like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a peep on my ML and I wear no-line bifocals. Focus on the target. You'll be able to see the front bead just fine and let your eyes center it in the peep even though it's fuzzy. Works great. A larger sized peep helps, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure the aperture is closer to your eye than the location of standard iron sights.The TC Hawkin,etc ,you mounted them on the tang. Williams offers them that mount on the rear scope tapped holes on a lot of inlines.

You might have to change out your front sight to make it high or lower.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Williams tang peep sight on my TC Hawken. You can get different sized apertures for them which are great for target practice, but I find them all too small for hunting. It's too hard to pick up the target in a hurry plus in dim light, they're way too dark. I just leave the screw-in aperture out and use the threaded hole. It works fine.,

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a Williams tang peep sight on my TC Hawken. You can get different sized apertures for them which are great for target practice, but I find them all too small for hunting. It's too hard to pick up the target in a hurry plus in dim light, they're way too dark. I just leave the screw-in aperture out and use the threaded hole. It works fine.,

When using mine ,that is what I did

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...another problem with that screw-in aperture...it's wide. When it's in front of your eye, it completely blocks your peripheral vision. You see through the hole or not at all. You can lose your target real easy.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a peep sight on my T/C Firehawk and I'm far sighted. I can't stand having the target covered up by the sights. I have the standard front bead on my gun and can shoot 1 - 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards with it.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My fiber optic sights on my TC Triumph were a little blurry as well. I put on a peep sight and it is much, much better. Gives you a little more range with the longer sighting plane as well I believe.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sheephunter, how far back from the rear sight did you mount your peep?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On a T/C Hawken, a tang sight is 10" behind the original.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As far back as I could get it. I used the back set of holes. There is a set in front of the back ones for the buckhorn sight.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used the standard TC peep, can't remember which aperture. Probably the larger one. It shoots damn good out to 150 and better with a rest.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a slider on the TC peep at about a 45 degree angle that allows you to move it up or down in relation to the front sight to get it dialed in.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess it is actually made by Williams after looking at a pic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MuskegMan thanks for putting up that link about the front global sights.
Have always thought that was a better way to go. Just got XS Ghost ring sights for my Austin Halleck. Haven't installed or shot them yet.
I have flip flopped on aperture sights on my Knight LK93. Shot a couple of deer with fiber optics and did OK. Also missed enough to doubt myself. Haven't had a shot at anything with the aperture sights installed.
My hunting partners shoot way more than I do and they have all gone to apertures with stock front fiber optics.

Last edited by 338WIN; 01/24/16.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I wear trifocals and use a tank peep on my Lyman GPR. On the front, I've used a globe, white bead and now a copper penny front sight. I can't see an open rear barrel mounted sight at all, but the tang peep works well for me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The peep set-up on my Firehawk. The aperture is about the same distance from the eye as a scope lens would be.

[Linked Image]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 16 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,522
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.