Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The current exchange rates for the Euro and Rand seem quite favorable right now. As we enter the "Show Season", is it out of line to inquire with outfitters on safari prices based on how (relatively) strong the USD$ is? A lot of safari operators quote in multiple currencies but with rates where they are now, the differences can be substantial. Not sure why a given Trophy Fee can have nearly a $500 difference between USD$ and Euro when it is the same animal being hunted. Have noticed a sizable difference in Daily Rates among outfitters, as well.

Would appreciate any insights.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy
The current exchange rates for the Euro and Rand seem quite favorable right now. As we enter the "Show Season", is it out of line to inquire with outfitters on safari prices based on how (relatively) strong the USD$ is? A lot of safari operators quote in multiple currencies but with rates where they are now, the differences can be substantial. Not sure why a given Trophy Fee can have nearly a $500 difference between USD$ and Euro when it is the same animal being hunted. Have noticed a sizable difference in Daily Rates among outfitters, as well.

Would appreciate any insights.

As the market is US$ related, it is just a way of giving the guys from the other countries a break.I accept any curreny, whether it's USD to AUD. ( No Zim Dollars.) I have booked safaris that are yet to come up, which, had I not helped the hunters out regarding the exchange rate, would have cost them 20% more, than the original quotation. The 20% might not sound like much, but it turns a $10K hunt, into a $12K hunt. Most outfits will negotiate, with regards to the strong USD at the moment. Just talk to your outfitter.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know of one PH/Outfitter in Namibia that has reduced his prices due the great USD to NAD exchange rates to basically the the same he was charging in 2011-2012. All in daily rates are $240 USD p/d 1x1 and $200 USD p/d all up, 2x1 plus trophy fees. And he also reduced the trophy fees as well. Kudu - $1250, Gemsbok - $750, Mountain Zebra - $1250 just for starters.

Been going there annually, sometimes multiple times, since 2008. Booked for the first one for this year for the end of Apr.

PM for details.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many African countries have pegged their currency to the Euro. The Euro has taken a big hit against the US dollar. But this is not always reflected in the exchange rate. Sometimes better to buy Euro and pay your fee with that currency.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Two outfitters I have booked with; Hotfire Safaris; Patrick Fletcher and Chris Troskie Safaris have denominated hunts in Canadian dollars. Made a big difference for us. What ever monies we saved by not having to spend US dollars May 2015 we spent on additional trophy fees smile The Canadian dollar and the Rand seem to have a rather tight relationship exchange rate wise whenever I have looked.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is how we do it:

Select your currency at the top.

http://www.huntsafaris.co.za/saprice.php

It is almost impossible to change the rate every day on one's website, and as the $/R rate fluctuate, it certainly gives hunters some better bargaining power. Talk to your outfitter.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 58 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.