Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by smokepole
But if I take the shot at 600, I'm engaging in "long-range hunting," right?

I understand your point and agree with it, but I don't think a blanket statement that "long range hunting" is an oxymoron can stand on its own.

I do

So every Hunter should think like you and hunt for the same reasons?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CRS,

Long range hunting is an oxymoron.

Long range shooting is challenging and a bunch of fun.
Was out at a friends range a few weeks ago and my son ran his AR out to 800 yards, shot my friends 260 out to 1000 yards. Hit his last 4 in a row after taking two shots to get dialed in. Took the 338 lapua to a mile (3 hits out of 4).

My son is 14 years old and has never shot long range before.

At the other end of the spectrum, I killed my archery buck at 4 yards with my longbow last fall. grin

If you were correct the long rangers would go out to a place and shoot rocks or whatever was there. They don't. They hunt. Sometimes for days before they get a shot at the game.

The idea you killed a game animal at spitting distance is no big deal now-a-days with sent blockers and Hecs clothing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But if I take the shot at 600, I'm engaging in "long-range hunting," right?

I understand your point and agree with it, but I don't think a blanket statement that "long range hunting" is an oxymoron can stand on its own.

I do

So every Hunter should think like you and hunt for the same reasons?

Where did I say that?
Don't like opinions other than your own?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like a bunch of dudes badmouthing something because it doesn't fit their wool-plaid and canvas idea of "hunting"... What a joke...

Tanner

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by sbhooper

The difference is that you have practiced the shot and did not go afield with the purpose of taking that shot. You cold not get closer and that makes a difference. Going out with the idea of taking only extreme-range shots is a different deal than taking the only shot you get and being competent to do it.

Do you practice shots at moving targets with your deer/elk rifle?

If not..... then by yourreasoning above..... you're an immoral hunter if you take a shot at a moving critter.... because you haven't "practiced that shot".

Furthermore..... if the animal is moving because you spooked it.... it has seen (or smelled) you..... therefore, if you shoot it now, you're not "hunting".... as you didn't "fool it's natural senses".

Quite frankly.... I'd rather have an occasional dumbass shoot at a critter that's "out of range".... than encourage folks to take shots on moving critters because they're "in range" (under 200 yds).

I guarantee that exponentially more game is wounded inside 150 yards because of poor shots on moving animals.... than is wounded by "wanna-be snipers" at "extreme long range".

I agree the advertising and "shows" imply that it fairly simple to "range, dial, shoot". But there's lots of advertising like that everywhere. I can't dunk just cause I bought some Jordan's.....

Good grief! Where did you all of a sudden come up with moving animals? That has nothing to do with this.

If you would read what I said, you would not have brought that crap up. You took a long shot because you were capable of taking it and could get no closer. I have no issue with that. The thing that I have issue with is taking ONLY extreme shots to use it for bragging rights or whatever.

I don't care what the argument, purposely taking extreme shots when the opportunity to get closer is there, is just plain irresponsible and not fair to the animal.

Extreme shooting is not an "art". it is purely equipment, ballistics and practice.

Last edited by sbhooper; 01/29/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Extreme shooting is not an "art". it is purely equipment, ballistics and practice.

It's as much an Art as it is a Science. Same goes with Shotgunning

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't care what the argument, purposely taking extreme shots when the opportunity to get closer is there, is just plain irresponsible and not fair to the animal.

I guess, sbhooper, that settles it. You have spoken.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
N

The difference is that you have practiced the shot and did not go afield with the purpose of taking that shot. You cold not get closer and that makes a difference. Going out with the idea of taking only extreme-range shots is a different deal than taking the only shot you get and being competent to do it.

Do you practice shots at moving targets with your deer/elk rifle?

If not..... then by yourreasoning above..... you're an immoral hunter if you take a shot at a moving critter.... because you haven't "practiced that shot".

Furthermore..... if the animal is moving because you spooked it.... it has seen (or smelled) you..... therefore, if you shoot it now, you're not "hunting".... as you didn't "fool it's natural senses".

Quite frankly.... I'd rather have an occasional dumbass shoot at a critter that's "out of range".... than encourage folks to take shots on moving critters because they're "in range" (under 200 yds).

I guarantee that exponentially more game is wounded inside 150 yards because of poor shots on moving animals.... than is wounded by "wanna-be snipers" at "extreme long range".

I agree the advertising and "shows" imply that it fairly simple to "range, dial, shoot". But there's lots of advertising like that everywhere. I can't dunk just cause I bought some Jordan's.....

Good grief! Where did you all of a sudden come up with moving animals? That has nothing to do with this.

If you would read what I said, you would not have brought that crap up. You took a long shot because you were capable of taking it and could get no closer. I have no issue with that. The thing that I have issue with is taking ONLY extreme shots to use it for bragging rights or whatever.

There are only two kinds of shots at big game.....
1. Shots you've practiced....
2. Shots you haven't practiced....

If you're taking #2.... you're the unethical ass hat as far as I'm concerned..... 25 yards or beyond 1/2 mile.

Furthermore, if you're ok with shots under 200 on moving game..... but you preach against "long range shots" because "the animal can move", or "no one can judge the wind exactly", or "you don't know exactly where that bullet is going".... then you're a hypocritical dip-schitt as far as I'm concerned.... because ALL those things are applicable to moving shots as well. AND, I know a hundred guys who practice out to 700-1000 weekly.... NONE of them practice moving shots with rifles..... DO YOU?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Where did I say that?

You said that the blanket statement "long range hunting is an oxymoron" can stand on its own, did you not?

"Long range hunting is an oxymoron" means that killing an animal at long range is not hunting, does it not?

So, if you agree with the above, you believe that killing an animal at long range is not hunting.

Why don't you explain why it's not hunting?

Don't like opinions other than your own?

No, I enjoy different opinions. They just have to be backed up by something other than personal value judgments or bias.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all for a guy taking any shot he is comfortable with.

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No where did I denigrate it. I just stated that long range hunting is an oxymoron.... a contradictory statement.

It is long range shooting nothing more, nothing less. A challenging acquired skill where the target happens to be alive.

It is a pursuit that has transitioned the challenge from the hunt, to the shot.

Having killed many animals under 5 yards and having banged a plate at a mile, I know what I prefer for my personal hunting endeavors.

While still enjoying the challenge of hitting a plate at long range.

Last edited by CRS; 01/29/16.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CRS,

I just stated that long range hunting is an oxymoron.... a contradictory statement.

Are you now saying you made a mistake in your original post?

Everyday Hunter
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, an oxymoron is a contradictory statement.

Long range hunting = oxymoron, IMO.

Last edited by CRS; 01/29/16.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a hundred guys who practice out to 700-1000 weekly.... NONE of them practice moving shots with rifles..... DO YOU?

You know at least one wink

We have a mover at the club. I routinely shoot movers at precision matches at 600 yards

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS
Having killed many animals under 5 yards and having banged a plate at a mile, I know what I prefer for my personal hunting endeavors.

Precisely, and no one can argue with that because you stated it as your personal preference.

But when you cross the line and transfer your own personal values to all hunters, as you are when you say "long range is not hunting" you're in effect saying "if you don't agree with my value judgment, you're not a hunter." Which is obviously not a tenable position.

It's the same as if I say "I prefer not to hunt deer out of a tower blind because it removes the challenge of being detected and bores me to tears." So far, so good.

But when I say "hunting whitetail deer out of a tower blind is not hunting" or if you prefer "is an oxymoron" I've crossed the line and transferred my own value judgment onto all hunters.

Which is obviously bullsh**.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

Precisely, and no one can argue with that because you stated it as your personal preference.

But when you cross the line and transfer your own personal values to all hunters, as you are when you say "long range is not hunting" you're in effect saying "if you don't agree with my value judgment, you're not a hunter." Which is obviously not a tenable position.

It's the same as if I say "I prefer not to hunt deer out of a tower blind because it removes the challenge of being detected and bores me to tears." So far, so good.

But when I say "hunting whitetail deer out of a tower blind is not hunting" or if you prefer "is an oxymoron" I've crossed the line and transferred my own value judgment onto all hunters.

Good explanation.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
smokepole,

Good explanation.

Got it.
Only your opinions matter.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's not what I said at all, but keep repeating it. Maybe someone will believe it.

Or better yet, support your own opinion with a logical argument, or by refuting what I said.

If you can't, then you must not have much faith in your own opinion.

Why don't you explain why long range hunting is an oxymoron?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
smokepole,

Good explanation.

+ 2

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind the LR fad. It means less guys hunting the timber where most of the animals hang out. And less guys willing to hike because their rifles weigh too much. Everyone just wants to post up and watch the openings. Then complain when all they see are spikes and cows.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.