-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite frequently. I haven't found an IWB holster yet that I like, and I've tried a bunch. If I can't OWB then I usually tuck it in at about 5:00.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's early.......grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
somehow stuffing a glock with a round in the chamber in the front of your pants without a holster gives me the shivers.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not since reaching intellectual adulthood. A holster's primary function is to keep the trigger from inadvertently being pulled. The clip draw type items do not fulfill this function. I guess I am just a pessimist that places too high a value on my nutsack.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Often with a clip-draw and zac trigger cover...it can be done with only the zac cover but I'm used to the way I do it:

Edited to note I only carry behind the hip this way...would probably work true mezkin but I prefer behind the hip.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 02/02/16. Reason: not true mezkin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a friend who is a tow truck driver he has carried a J frame Mex for years

Me no

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More often than not.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here is my perspective:

I don't generally carry a primary weapon without a holster. The average gun toter never gives it 2 thoughts, but most fights are physical long before bullets go to flyin'

I have had more than a few occasions to end up physically fighting with someone, while armed with a service weapon.

The punchline is that when you are rolling, physically fighting someone, stuff goes flying.

As a weapon retention instructor, I can tell you that this is actually old news.

When you get punched in the face/knocked down, if you have (had) a gun simply tucked in a waist band, odds are more likely than not, it will not still be there.

It is bad enough rolling, bare knuckling it out, but the last thing I want to do is to have to have a brutal ground fight AND be struggling for a loose gun.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I guess I am just a pessimist that places too high a value on my nutsack.

mike r

Could also be an optimist depending on how you look at it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Here is my perspective:

I don't generally carry a primary weapon without a holster. The average gun toter never gives it 2 thoughts, but most fights are physical long before bullets go to flyin'

I have had more than a few occasions to end up physically fighting with someone, while armed with a service weapon.

The punchline is that when you are rolling, physically fighting someone, stuff goes flying.

As a weapon retention instructor, I can tell you that this is actually old news.

When you get punched in the face/knocked down, if you have (had) a gun simply tucked in a waist band, odds are more likely than not, it will not still be there.

It is bad enough rolling, bare knuckling it out, but the last thing I want to do is to have to have a brutal ground fight AND be struggling for a loose gun.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that it's more secure, but I don't think it's necessarily that precarious either. Last time I changed the wife's oil I forgot I had the gun in my pants, and I didn't lose it. I wasn't fighting anyone, although from the swearing it might have seemed that way. It's a compromise, like anything else. I also try to avoid going around and getting punched in the face but YMMV laugh.

Last edited by RufusG; 02/02/16. Reason: spelin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Occasionally, not much anymore though as I have more holsters than handguns anymore. laugh

Last edited by mtcurman; 02/02/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have for years, but I am rethinking that decision.

early on, I had the safety on my 1911 get swiped off a couple of times, so I went to condition 2 only for messican carry, which is obviously a concession.

that, I could live with, but I will not discount advise from a few people on the boards here, and Mackay is one of those people.

i'll be looking at IWB holsters now.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RufusG
Here is my perspective:

I don't think anyone is going to argue that it's more secure, but I don't think it's necessarily that precarious either. Last time I changed the wife's oil I forgot I had the gun in my pants, and I didn't lose it. I wasn't fighting anyone, although from the swearing it might have seemed that way. It's a compromise, like anything else. I also try to avoid going around and getting punched in the face but YMMV laugh.

Most people try to avoid getting hit in the face or anywhere else in a fight, but that is the reality of physical fights.

While you may think carrying w/o a holster is not any more precarious than with one, even when fighting, this leads me to believe that perhaps you have not actually been in a physical fight while trying to retain a loose gun. It has very little in common to changing the oil on a car.

The fact is that you don't get to choose the fight that comes to you, you just get to deal with the fight that is presented to.

That may be getting sucker punched from the side, by thugs playing the "knock-out game", or being jumped by 2-3 dudes who want what you have. That happens far, far more often than standing 10-20 feet apart exchanging shots with another duelist.

This reminds me a lot of guys who insist on not wearing a helmet when they ride a crotch rocket at break neck speeds, because they have "never needed one yet". wink

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mackey, if going into a fight would you rather have a Glock, M4 or a shotgun?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

While you may think carrying w/o a holster is not any more precarious than with one, even when fighting, this leads me to believe that perhaps you have not actually been in a physical fight while trying to retain a loose gun. It has very little in common to changing the oil on a car.

If the price of admission to this discussion is having fought someone while carrying a gun, I'll have to beg off.

I understand what you are saying and appreciate the advice as it's always good to reconsider the way you do things. I think I usually try to calculate my percentages conservatively. But based on my own experience, and being the only one here who knows how tight my belt is, I haven't heard anything in this thread that's going to make me abandon my clipdraw anytime soon.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
JMC, I have a similar device and it works well. I use mine with an HPG chest pack.

I guess I am a little paranoid but when choosing a holster for CCW I prioritize like this:

1. protect the trigger
2. retain the gun
3. place the gun where I can get a full fighting grip before I draw
4. place the gun where I can access it no matter what I am wearing
5. comfort.

I carry AIWB in a Centermass holster when concealed and in a Safariland ALS at work.

I think we have to abandon the idea that we can anticipate how and when the fight will occur.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 02/03/16.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure that the level of security (or lack thereof ) with mex carry is different for different people. No argument here asserting that it's just as secure as a holster. We also don't all go about our day in the same situations. For instance, when I stuff the 1911 in my waistband while doing my chores at home or attending other business in relatively secure areas, I'm not too concerned about getting blind sided and grappling on the ground - although I also don't go around oblivious to my surroundings. But that's just me where I am. We all have to exercise some judgment unless we live a life of absolutes in everything (must be nice). To be sure, a good holster is always more secure. And even at that, there are different levels of security in holsters.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Mackey, if going into a fight would you rather have a Glock, M4 or a shotgun?

I'm not Mackey, but it would depend on the "fight". Clearing a building would include a shotgun for me, with the M4 being a very close second. Fighting in general, I would choose the M4 100 out of 100 times.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All fights end up on the ground. If you don't have a strategy for maintaining positive control of your weapon and the direction of the barrel and availability of the trigger, you're in for a rude lesson.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.