Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just sold my 1999 Dodge Ram diesel, and bought a new GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax for towing my travel trailer and other toys. I figured that after 17 years, it was time to upgrade the toy hauler/hunting rig.

I'm done with the initial 500 mile 'break-in' period, driving around 55 mph, varying speed, etc., and not towing anything- all of which probably makes as much sense as new rifle barrel break in, IMO.

Anyway- I will be taking a 2000 mile trip with the travel trailer in late March. The break in caution in the owners manual for this truck says not to go over 50 mph(!) for the first 500 miles of towing. Nothing said about the size of the trailers being towed.
Really? This doesn't seem very realistic to me, at all.
For one thing, on most highways here in CO, and I believe in other states as well, minimum speeds on the interstates is 55 mph. I really don't see driving back roads, towing a trailer, for 500 miles, for break in!

What have you done with trucks that you tow with?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take your camper to Vegas for a weekend.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me borrow it.

I'll break it in. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never bought a new truck - they've always been broken in when I get them.

What is the max trailer weight you can tow - something like 13000lbs? How heavy is your trailer loaded up?

I would probably change the rear differential fluid when I got back. They hold about 4.5 quarts, and have a drain plug, so it's easy to do.

Regards,

Tom
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I still have my 98 Ram , 2500. From the first year,I pulled a 20 foot GN, loaded with mules and gear an did so every year until about 3 years ago and I got a 3 horse slant BP. I never did any break in. Problems have been with injection/lift pumps and brakes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bighorn
The break in caution in the owners manual for this truck says not to go over 50 mph(!) for the first 500 miles of towing.

They must know something about Duramax drivers!

But seriously, two thoughts, FWIW.

1. You might ask on a Duramax forum.

2. For my '11 Powerstroke there was only the initial unloaded breakin at varying speeds prior to hauling. Posters on the Ford forum said do the breakin, latch onto a load and let it get hot to 'set things'. I just towed sensibly after the breakin.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd take it to ther dealer and ask them about that. Seems to me, the truck is under warranty right ? That should cover towing up to the towing weight limit.
The thing that gets the most strain would be the transmition, particularly going up and down slopes, etc. This is why my truck has a stick, not an auto trans. Kinda of nice to have AC when it's hot going up a long grade. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Out of curiosity, do the Chevy & Ford diesels have jake brakes now? They're standard on the Cummins 6.7. It's GREAT for towing, especially in the hills.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Cummins has an exhaust brake, not a jake brake. They're different things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did the tedious/slow tow break in with my dmax. Folks on the net said to hook on and go, but I decided to listen to the engineers that wrote that part of the manual. It sucked. If I remember correctly, there is a video on the net of new dmax'es being run wot with load before being installed into the truck. As in, every one has had that done to it.

It is your call, but 500 miles @ 50 = 10 hours. 500 miles @ 70 = 7 hours 9 minutes. It is only 2 hours 51 minutes longer seat time, but it feels like an eternity.

IC B3

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by K1500
I did the tedious/slow tow break in with my dmax. Folks on the net said to hook on and go, but I decided to listen to the engineers that wrote that part of the manual. It sucked. If I remember correctly, there is a video on the net of new dmax'es being run wot with load before being installed into the truck. As in, every one has had that done to it.

It is your call, but 500 miles @ 50 = 10 hours. 500 miles @ 70 = 7 hours 9 minutes. It is only 2 hours 51 minutes longer seat time, but it feels like an eternity.

I've read everything on the web, with comments like "run it like you stole it", to, "I towed my trailer for 3000 miles right after I picked it up from the dealer".

I figure the engineers who designed the engine and truck must have had some reason for the recommendation, so I guess I will try to stick to it, although maybe 55 mph instead of 50.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think it might be worse to run at a set speed for long intervals. As I remember that is what my manual spelled out

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep, no set speed for long intervals.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Find a winding road where 50 or 60 is the max. You'll be up and down on the the throttle on curves and will be limited in speed. It's easier on the patience if you have to drive it instead of just sitting there.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I think it might be worse to run at a set speed for long intervals. As I remember that is what my manual spelled out

Yep. Some hwy and lots of local driving to vary the engine speed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tow it.
Break 'em in tough, they will always be tough!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Seat those rings baby! Drive it like you stole it for a few days. Don't let those tires cool down! Keep smoke rollin off em for a whole weekend! grin

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.