Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've been waiting for a range finding binocular that had the optics quality of Conquest HD's and rangefinder capability of a Sig Kilo 2000 for $1500. The new Geovid R looks like it comes close to that point on paper. Anybody actually had their hands on a pair yet?

David

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
David, if they're anything like the geovid HD's I have they are a great set of binos.
Those prices that Doug has are pretty attractive compared to the old days/geovids.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think these are simply the same units that were replaced by the geovid HD-b's. from what I have heard about the sig RF its going to be better than the geovid R if they are the same like I am thinking.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Bought them. They are worth it!

HD-Bs have more bells and whistles and can range further but they don't range as well on shorter archery targets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I've been waiting for a range finding binocular that had the optics quality of Conquest HD's and rangefinder capability of a Sig Kilo 2000 for $1500. The new Geovid R looks like it comes close to that point on paper. Anybody actually had their hands on a pair yet?

David

On their best day the Conquest HDs couldn't compare to the HD 'vids.
A more comparable scenario is the Victory series...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by broomd

David

1st that's silly - I've looked through both there not as far apart as you suggest, the difference is barely percitible as is the case with all high end optics.

2nd I'm not asking about the HD's. I'm asking about the new Geovid R model.

Thanks,

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used both models of geovids for years. I have not used the newest HD-b's. frankly the geovid glass was nothing to get particularly excited about. comparing it to the victory isn't accurate. I would say even the old first generation EL's were better. probably comparable to trinovids from 12 years ago. YES having lesser glass with a RF is still way worth it though.

if your looking on the used market there is a step up from the geovid to the geovid HD's. the RF function is about the same between those 2. basically plan on ranging to 800 ish on big game size animals. that will probably take several tries to get that BTW. Yes it can range further in certain conditions. you may need several tries to pull a range on big game animals over 500 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st that's silly - I've looked through both there not as far apart as you suggest, the difference is barely percitible as is the case with all high end optics.

Thanks,

David

The "R"-series Geovids are HD.

And whilst the conquests are fine $700-900 glass, they aren't "high end"...they are very good tier two glass. They don't utilize flourite or extra low dispersion lenses like the Leica HD series (Geovid, Ultravid). The 'wow' factor to most viewers is obvious.
With optics you get what you pay for.
If you can't see any difference between conquest glass and Leica alpha glass you might be best served with a pair of Bushnell Fusion RF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I used both models of geovids for years. I have not used the newest HD-b's. frankly the geovid glass was nothing to get particularly excited about. comparing it to the victory isn't accurate. I would say even the old first generation EL's were better. probably comparable to trinovids from 12 years ago. YES having lesser glass with a RF is still way worth it though.

if your looking on the used market there is a step up from the geovid to the geovid HD's. the RF function is about the same between those 2. basically plan on ranging to 800 ish on big game size animals. that will probably take several tries to get that BTW. Yes it can range further in certain conditions. you may need several tries to pull a range on big game animals over 500 yards.

Sounds like you had/have defective geovids...abused maybe?
I have two pair, 8x42 HD and 10x42 HD and they are stellar to 1300 yards on even small targets.
I've owned the Zeiss 10X45 rf, the EL range Swaro, and the Leica...all three at the same time.

Time and time again the Geovid proved to be the best all around performer.
The Zeiss were my faves ergonomically but didn't view as well as the flourite-lensed Leicas.
The Swaro's viewed beautifully, but were anchors weight-wise with undependable up-close range capabilities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Sounds like you had/have defective geovids...abused maybe?
I have two pair, 8x42 HD and 10x42 HD and they are stellar to 1300 yards on even small targets.
I've owned the Zeiss 10X45 rf, the EL range Swaro, and the Leica...all three at the same time.

Time and time again the Geovid proved to be the best all around performer.
The Zeiss were my faves ergonomically but didn't view as well as the flourite-lensed Leicas.
The Swaro's viewed beautifully, but were anchors weight-wise with undependable up-close range capabilities.

not exactly I owned 2 different pair of the non HD and 1 of the HD models. 3 total pair. all bought new. The HD I actually had to send back to leica because the RF had issues ranging past 500 yards. I ended up sending it back for repairs and it returned as having the best RF of the 3. my brother in law also owned the non HD we bought at the same time. that is 4 total pair.

ranging to 1300 yards is optimistic even in excellent conditions. I would not ever rely on getting a range at any type of animal at that distance. Infact I would bet anyone given 3 tries with those units would be unable to do it. on a plain ole given day. in fact the longest yardage I ever pulled with any of those was around 1400 yards. My experience spending about a month in the field a year was on a deer with several tries they are good to about 800 yards. in perfect conditions it would read further, but that is average conditions. often times when ranging a target like a deer it took multiple tries if I was over 600 yards away.

the swaro EL's they are in a totally different class when it comes to ranging performance. most of the time they are pulling readings easily to 1000, the very first time. I have ranged stuff at 1900 yards with them. The first shot performance of the EL's is way way better.

The glass on the EL's compared to the HD's isn't as much different as one might think. The EL's are a tad brighter they also have a sharper image that is filled with more detail. It is a noticeable difference but not that much.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks,

David

The "R"-series Geovids are HD.

And whilst the conquests are fine $700-900 glass, they aren't "high end"...they are very good tier two glass. They don't utilize flourite or extra low dispersion lenses like the Leica HD series (Geovid, Ultravid). The 'wow' factor to most viewers is obvious.
With optics you get what you pay for.
If you can't see any difference between conquest glass and Leica alpha glass you might be best served with a pair of Bushnell Fusion RF.

These:

https://us.leica-camera.com/content...4/file/Leica_SO_Pi_Geovid42R_1215_EN.pdf

NOT These:

https://us.leica-camera.com/content...Leica_SO_Pi_Geovid42HD-R-NEW_0115_EN.pdf

You're telling me that the Geovid R's are Leica's best glass with a rangefinder for under $1800?

I'm glad you're happy with your optics, but no, I'm not "Blown Away" by the difference between the top tier alpha glass and the 2nd tier stuff. Don't see that much difference.

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I'm glad you're happy with your optics, but no, I'm not "Blown Away" by the difference between the top tier alpha glass and the 2nd tier stuff. Don't see that much difference.

David

Me neither.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

These:

NOT These:

You're telling me that the Geovid R's are Leica's best glass with a rangefinder for under $1800?

David

I said that Leica HD flourite glass is some of the best, along with Victory (FL HT, SF) and Swaro SLC HD/swarovision. If you don't agree, well, sorry.
Frankly, for that price point nothing else compares with the HD-r.

The Geovid HD-R utilize the same lenses as the ultravid HD.
And they are the best Rf out there for less than $1700...
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=leica_40059
That's $700-800 less that the cumbersome "B" model--both in demo form.

Zeiss conquest HD glass is fine for it's price point, but if you can't see the difference behind those and a pair of flourite alphas glassing thick country all day long, I'm wasting my time here.

Have you ever even owned a pair of alpha binoculars with HD lenses?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

These:

NOT These:

David

Um...no. Never said any such thing. Those are your words and your price points.
I said that Leica HD flourite glass is some of the best, along with Victory (FL HT, SF) and Swaro SLC HD/swarovision. If you don't agree, well, sorry.
There is a reason that those optics are so expensive and popular. They are the best.
And for that price point HD-R glass is out there under $1700...

Zeiss conquest HD glass is fine for it's price point, but if you can't see the difference behind those and a pair of flourite alphas glassing thick country all day long, I'm wasting my time here.

why do you keep saying they use the same lenses and the glass is the same? THE GLASS IS 100% NOT THE SAME. have you not noticed the green tint? leica has to use different glass on the geovids for the RF function. the glass is good but its not anywhere near the top end offerings of leica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they treat the glass with anti-reflective to protect the user, but the lenses ARE FLOURITE.

They are top-shelf, even if yours were beat up and don't function properly.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

These:

NOT These:

David

Frankly, for that price point nothing else compares with the HD-r.

And they are the best Rf out there for less than $1700...
That's $700-800 less that the cumbersome "B" model--both in demo form.

Have you ever even owned a pair of alpha binoculars with HD lenses?

No I don't own and never have owned any Alpha glass. When I went to buy my last pair of bino's I looked through all the binos in the store, repeatedly, many trips. I never said I saw no difference, I said I didn't see much difference. i didn't say that the Leica fluorite lenses are not some of the best, just that it was so small a difference I couldn't justify spending 2-4x the price. I did spend all day looking through my Conquest HD's for a few weeks this past hunting season and I was very pleased with them.

Glad to hear you won't waste any more of you're time, hopefully you'll stop wasting mine also. I don't know if you're in too big of a hurry, lack reading comprehension or just a dumba$$ but for the third time I'm not asking about Geovid HD-R's, not asking about demo's.

I'm asking about the Geovid R model - look at the freaking links I posted! They're selling for less than $1800 brand new. You are going way out of your way to be an a-hole and don't have a freaking clue what the original question was. Maybe you should try and and calm down, take a few deep breaths.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good grief, chill out man. "Dumbaszz....freaking...a-hole"...it's obvious who is spazzing out here.
Reads like you are going to blow a gasket.

The links you posted say little about Leica's 'R' offering, they show specs, but not more detail. At least the link I opened didn't.
I called Neil (longtime sales in sport optics at Cameraland) and as of 1:30 PT today he didn't even know they existed, they haven't even shipped to Cameraland yet.

Best I can tell they are similar to the fist generation non-HD Geovid fitted with the "R" angle compensation. Leica is probably trying to save a buck with the lenses and still offer a quality rf with angle comp.

I realize that you aren't asking about demos or HD-R glass--I get it.
For those here now learning about the latest "R" model as I am, you may want to consider Doug's demo HD-R model for the same money (or damn close) as these new "R's"...
Most here know that Doug's demos are new units that got taken along for a ride to shows etc.
If the HD-R can be had for the same money as this latest incarnation, it seems like a no-brainer for the higher quality glass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Bought them. They are worth it!

HD-Bs have more bells and whistles and can range further but they don't range as well on shorter archery targets.

Thomas, do you have the newest "R" model or do you have the HD-R model?
If they are the "R" where did you find them? They aren't even listed online (Euro-optic, swfa, Cameraland etc.) other than Leica's website.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have the HD-Rs- they are the older model. They have decent glass. Lets say I didn't pay retail, or even sale price-but work at a box store part time for very low pay but excellent incentives. However, the discontinued version does do horizontal distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks...that is what I suspected.

Looks like this new "R" model isn't even released yet. It's a safe bet that no one here will have purchased/viewed them yet unless possibly at an outdoors show.

I have the same ones you have--in 10X42 and 8X42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.