Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Alaska Guys,
I need a little help here if you have a second....A good buddy is headed to the Brooks with his dad for a Dall hunt. He says he is having a hard time finding solid info on air only service and this will be a DIY hunt. I think they are also taking an elder Alaskan Native who is a relative, therefore they think they will be ok on the guide requirements for sheep. I can't help them with info that far North since my place is in Seldovia and I hide out around there and not the Brooks. They want to fly in Aug 8th for the Aug 10th opener.

Thanks for any solid recommendations on air charters worth contacting for this hunt, and maybe airfair ranges for flying in/out of Anchorage or somewhere not too far North of Anchorage.

Hardin284
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

hardin284:

Post this on the Alaska Forum and you may get better info.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple things... you buddy and his dad can not both hunt with a relative. The law is for second degree of kindred, meaning a son (or son in law) hunting with his father (or father in law) or vise versa. I don't think there is any way they can both be related second degree of kindred to the relative taking them...unless the elder is the sons father in law, and the dads brother (or brother in law). It is Alaska, so I suppose its plausible. laugh

Airfair ranges form/to the Brooks from Anchorage? They'd likely be flying into sheep country from someplace much further north. Suggest they go to Fairbanks instead and charter from there, they'd likely end up doing so anyway, and can save themselves the hassle of Anchorage.

You can try here for a list of operators, but I think it will be a challenge to get a flight this late in the game.

http://directory.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/index.php/alaska-directory/air-taxis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Years ago I used coyote air out of coldfoot, great folks to fly with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Having hunted the Brooks Range on numerous trips I would highly recommend you charter out of the north side of the Endicott/Philip Smith Mountains due to the weather patterns. The weather comes off the Arctic Ocean and and the result is zero visibility in the few passes used for transiting south to north for as long as a week. If your charter flight originates from the north you can still get in or out of spike camp with much lower visibility.
Another advantage is that a charter from ANC to the Brooks Range would be astronomically priced. Much cheaper to fly ANC to Deadhorse commercially or drive the haul road (an adventure not to be missed itself) from Fairbanks to Deadhorse, Happy Valley or Coldfoot.
The best reason for flying out of the north is that you are much more likely to get a pilot who is familiar with the Brooks Range and local conditions. The Brooks Range is a very unforgiving place.
It has been a few years so I cannot give specific up to date recommendations. Your question might get a better response on the Alaska forum of 24 Campfire.

Last edited by bobmn; 02/02/16.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Better do some serious research on kindred and if they have to be close or present... I don't know the answer but if the kindred needs to be standing next to you.... and can't... physically....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.