Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With prefrozen meat, you won't have any trouble for 7 days with dry ice. Keep the coolers in the shade all the time, and don't open them to be looking around.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
JJ
We have done this many times. Dry ice works very well to keep meat frozen. Couple of points. Use more than you think you will need and do not open the chests once you close them up. Also do not keep them in your camper at night as the carbon dioxide and humans don't mix well. Put it on top and you will get at least 10 days of freezer time if it is not 100 plus degrees out each day.

Carbon dioxide will not harm you. You produce plenty with each breath.

Now Carbon Monoxide irreversibly binds to the hemoglobin in your bloood with dire results.

Fear not dry ice, but wear gloves!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by BossHawg
Originally Posted by renegade50
I got a yeti sticker and a yeti hat

so people will think I have a yeti cooler and be part of the yeti nation

peer pressure/social acceptance sorta thing I geuss.......

Please, it doesn't matter wtf you have. You will never be socially acceptable.

go skirt up your trailer
keep the possums and stray cats out
laugh laugh laugh
says the man that had 1 of the 12 dogs in his trailer piss in a outlet and almost burn the Fleetwood down.

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
A lot guys are going to small chest freezers and generators these days.

This. Dry ice cannot be bought everywhere, where gasoline can be. Plus, its always good to have a generator anyways.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks folks, exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm well prepared now to make this work!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ice cream shops receive their shipments in dry ice and might offer you a better deal than some other vendors.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Hi guys,

I'm going hog hunting in Texas again, however this time driving. I have lot of travel to do in addition to this hunt for my safari business. So we are doing a road trip with the 22' travel trailer as our base camp.

I have two Yeti ice chests to bring meat home in. However from the termination of the hunt, to the arrival home might be 6-7 days on the road. I've not used Dry ice to achieve this in the past.

Am I correct in assuming that I should load up the pre-frozen meat into the ice chests first, then lay the dry ice on top? I understand the science of the dry ice, and the cold air should in theory sink, so putting it on top should be better?

I'm guess two blocks on top of each chest should would for a few days? 3-4 days? then I replace it or add more every 3 days as I go? If you have experience with this and the success or failure using it, do share!

The Yeti's are 85 quart and will be transported in the pickup bed under the canopy. There will not be any food for the trip in the ice chest so once closed they will stay closed until I add more Dry ice. Fortunately the fridge and freezer in the camper are plenty big enough for the food we will use on the trip without the need of the ice chests.

Did this the year I killed an elk in Colorado; I just headed straight to elk camp in Oregon with the meat. Bought dry ice at Wal-Marts along the way. At camp, I put the coolers (not as good as a Yeti FWIW) on the shady side of the tent and covered them in a tarp and straw. When I finally got home it was JUST starting to get the tiniest bit thawed.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by dogzapper
O2 is your enemy.

Why is that?

I think he means air. Air exchanges in the cooler will melt stuff faster than anything

That makes sense. I could not formulate a CO2-O2 reaction.

To pick nits, dry ice sublimes - no melting or evaporating; it goes from solid phase to gas phase completely bypassing the liquid phase (at atmospheric pressure)
Thus endeth the lesson. wink

It's sublimation.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
O2 is your enemy.

Why is that?

I think he means air. Air exchanges in the cooler will melt stuff faster than anything

To pick nits, dry ice sublimes - no melting or evaporating; it goes from solid phase to gas phase completely bypassing the liquid phase (at atmospheric pressure)

It's sublimation.

But as Ironbender pointed out the process by which dry ice goes away is sublimation... that is not a CO2-O2 reaction. It is just dry ice changing states.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 02/05/16. Reason: typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We haul frozen food to the cabin packed with dry ice.

I am in and out of the cooler throughout the week and things stay frozen for 4-5 days. Figure if I stayed out and kept it full of frozen foods, it would probably stay completey frozen for the week. You'll be fine.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always used regular ice and salt for long meat hauls

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On trips where we expect a long stay or lots of road time and a lot of meat, we always take a chest freezer.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine not having a small chest freezer in the travel trailer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
JJ
We have done this many times. Dry ice works very well to keep meat frozen. Couple of points. Use more than you think you will need and do not open the chests once you close them up. Also do not keep them in your camper at night as the carbon dioxide and humans don't mix well. Put it on top and you will get at least 10 days of freezer time if it is not 100 plus degrees out each day.

Carbon dioxide will not harm you. You produce plenty with each breath.

Now Carbon Monoxide irreversibly binds to the hemoglobin in your bloood with dire results.

Fear not dry ice, but wear gloves!

This isn't true. CO2 can displace O2 and cause asphyxiation. I don't about the relative concentrations in this situation but I wouldn't sleep with the cooler in a closed up camper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know why people come in here for this kind of advice. a couple of points but almost universally show no understanding of physics or chemistry

The main difference is that dry ice gases off as it melts instead of becoming a liquid. Why is this important? It means it is going to pop open your lids and the value of the Yeti's is they hold the cold in, not so much with the lids constantly venting. Seal them? They will explode. and it will evaporate (not melt) fast. The Yetis aren't designed to keep that kind of cold the heat transfer will be much faster and ice is harder to melt calorically, which is extremely important.

CO2 will have no reaction with O2 or N2 of atmosphere or the meat, the only effects will be from the exchange of temperature, but as noted, it is heavier than air and if you get caught in a pocket of it, you will not get any O2 and passout and if you do not get to real air with o2 you will die. It doesn't poison you but it will displace the o2

to transport meat. Freeze it as cold as you can before the trip (using dry ice here would be good). Seal it up against water. pour water ice over it. Replace the ice as it melts (you can buy the bags anywhere). keep the coolers closed otherwise. Keep them out of direct sunlight no matter what the temperature (cover them with something that is white or reflective as possible (like those space blankets that look like thick aluminum foil) Pour off water as needed but the mixture will be better for cooling if you don't get rid of all the water (keep it to the level it covers the contents). MAKE SURE the meat is sealed against the moisture. Put in freezer as soon as you can (which I assume you would do anyway)

The aid of cooling it with electronics is a much better idea

or finding a place on the way to leave it in overnight to refreeze it (bet you can find resturants with walk in freezers that you could leave it in, cheaper than buying dry ice

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a large empty space on top, put in something to fill it. A blanket should work. It'll hold the cold air down on the meat better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had great luck with dry ice and my "redneck yetti wanna be cooler" . Bought the insulation wrap they put over AC ducts, silver foil layered over bubble wrap and a roll of aluminum tape from Lowes. Made a cover that fits over the cooler like a hat. Cost me about $40 and covered 3 good size coolers. Works like a charm on my $100 Igloo.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
O2 is your enemy.

Why is that?

It's sublimation.

I meant the meat would melt. I know that solid C02 sublimates to gaseous form at our atmospheric pressures. Thus the vent in the duct tape I mentioned above.

You guys are so smart...

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not much of a hog hunter but I have heard from various people that packing wild pork with regular ice and letting it bleed out for up to a week improves the flavor. You just drain off the bloody melt water everyday and add fresh ice as needed. I have done this with a bunch of deer and the only hog that I ever killed and they all were good.

Point being, if you are only going to be gone a week, you don't have to fool with the dry ice. Regular ice is everywhere....I expect dry ice might be hard to find. Regular ice will certainly keep meat for a week and depending on who you ask might improve it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJY66
Regular ice is everywhere....

Except Crystal City, TX, early on a Sunday morning.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.