Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am in the process of clearing out some of my scopes and replacing them with the Leupold with CDS system. I am currently trying to decide between two scopes, and am having a hard time deciding. I figure lots of you guys have experience with Leupold scopes and might have some useful input. The two models I am looking at are...
1. VXR 4-12x40 firedot with cds
2. VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with cds

I am aware that the VXR has firedot which is nice, but not sure how practical it is in actual hunting situations, and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have side focus.
I am also a tad concerned that the firedot is just something else to "go wrong" years down the road. I see lots of 20-30 year old scopes going strong, and can't help but wonder if they had been equipped with lighted reticles back then, would they still be working thirty years later....doubtful ....lol

Also the VX-3i supposedly has better glass as well as side focus.
The VX-3i has a slightly smaller duplex which would be better for longer shots, but "may" get washed out in low light in brush. Also not sure if BOTH reticles are etched or not.

As of now I guess I am leaning towards the VX-3i due to the better glass and side focus, but not totally committed yet...lol

I was hoping someone of you guys and gals had some opinions on these two scope that may help me decide between the two. Thanks

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fwiw... not the same scopes you are asking about but I just picked up a VXR 2-7 ballistic firedot.

I am totally impressed and thrilled. It has total adjustability of the dot Down to the finest pinpoint and yet your eye can follow it and see it quickly. The glass may not be Meopta / Conquest perfect but I think it's right next door to it. Havent been in the field with it yet but I spend some nights on the deck looking into the brush as it gets dark.... for me at that point the dot is way more valuable than just a tiny edge and glass quality.
As for the durability I really don't care because Leopold stands behind everything. If this thing goes to crap in 10 years and they can't fix it I figure I'm going to get a brand new 10 year newer scope.... maybe it's wishful thinking but I can't imagine Leopold doing anything different

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Assuming you are talking about the 30mm tube versions of each?

I did a side by side comparison with the specs on the site. A few major differences stood out to me, which may or may not be significant for your needs:

Tube length: 5.1 on the VXR vs. 6.0 on the VX-3i

Adjustment range: 75.0 MOA on the VXR vs. 113.0 MOA on the VX-3i

Magnification (obviously): 11.7 vs. 14.7

The VX-3i in Duplex (170703) can still be found for under $500, which is a heck of a deal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I never thought i would like a illuminated reticle in a scope until I tried a Trijicon now i don't like to hunt without one. Never owned a VXR but have looked thur a couple and they seem to have pretty decent glass in them. It would probably come down to how you hunt and the terrain you hunt in but I don't think you will ever regret buying the firedot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I never thought i would like a illuminated reticle in a scope until I tried a Trijicon now i don't like to hunt without one. Never owned a VXR but have looked thur a couple and they seem to have pretty decent glass in them. It would probably come down to how you hunt and the terrain you hunt in but I don't think you will ever regret buying the firedot.

What he said. I'd take a VXR over a V3 or i any day. An illuminated dot reticle makes a huge difference when hunting at the very edge of legal shooting hours. And where I hunt that is usually when you see the big ones.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I guess my thought is- if it is really dark enough to completely lose the crosshairs, are you going to have a decent shot in the first place?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I hope my VXRs go bad in 20 years...Leupold will upgrade to thE UBEr VXR-6m..

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KenMi
I guess my thought is- if it is really dark enough to completely lose the crosshairs, are you going to have a decent shot in the first place?

Just try one out in a hunting situation if possible. That's all. Our main hunting rifles now have Trijicons or one of those uber VX6's. The VXIIIs are on the standbys.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm still waiting for 6-7 VXIIIs to fail. Loaded up in the 90s, still good.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You guys not burning enough candle power. I saw a torch advertised on the web with 18 mil. candle power... shocked

I bet most reticles would look pretty clear, the woods lit up with one of those... grin

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I never thought i would like a illuminated reticle in a scope until I tried a Trijicon now i don't like to hunt without one.
+1, My 2 favorite customs hunt with the 3-9x40 green dot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 2500HD, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.