Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it belongs to Dewey...

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

does it keep licking its balls and trying to hump everybody's leg?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that the BC Family Day weekend has been treating you well thus far.

Thanks for the chuckle with the post and photo - there's a possum one too that makes me laugh every time I see it.

We've got a bit of a running feud here with the local coyotes - they try to eat my cats and I try to shoot them....

Anyway on the yellow eyed dog thing sir, at one time the apprentice for the mechanic we used for our commuter vehicles had what he claimed was a half coyote. It was one of THE jumpiest dogs I've ever been around and had those piercing, yellow coyote eyes.

I don't believe I'd have trusted it around either my kids, cats or poultry unsupervised.

Another time I was in a sporting goods emporium talking to someone or other about calling the local coyotes when some other guy began to take me to task for shooting them.

He made a snarky comment like, "How do they taste?"

I left him speechless when I cut him off and said, "No it's okay, we do all catch and release!" wink

Thanks for the grin on a Sunday evening sir and have a good day off tomorrow.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/07/16. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good day to you too Dwayne

Our coyote numbers around here are dropping it seems as the wolves kill any they can catch.

I have never been hungry enough to try an eat a coyote but I used to know an old trapper that used them in stews. He claimed they softened right up when slow cooked with onions for a couple of days. wink

'Boo

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

We're just beginning to have wolves move in locally. I bumped into a houndsman I know the other day at an industrial supply store and he said a pack of four is wrecking havoc in the drainage just above our place.

He said the cats are few and far between this year too and it might be related - we don't really know.

Although they've now given us a wolf season here, there's only been a few shot that I've heard about. It would seem they're pretty migratory and not as easy to call in as coyotes.

Anyway we'll do our best to learn how to thin them out for sure and hopefully can at least put a token dent into them, but we'll see if that's the case.

Thanks again and have a good week.

Dwayne

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The best way to hunt wolves is just to have a rifle with you whenever you head out off the paved highway.

The buggers show up in the strangest places and I think every one I have killed was nothing more than being in the right place at the right time.

We don't have any bag limits on them here in the Cariboo Region but the actual number taken by sport hunters is minimal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks again for the reply and the advice.

For sure if it's not hunting season this thing always sits in the front seat beside me on scouting or firewood trips on the mountain behind our house.

It's only a .223, but I'm running 75gr bullets so that should get a wolf's attention I'm hoping?

[Linked Image]

Thanks again sir and have a good week.

Dwayne

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes Dwayne, a 75 grain .22 calibre bullet will get the job done for sure. My usual "firewood" rifle is a 22-250 stoked with Nosler 60 grain Partitions. (I find the little Partition to be fairly fur friendly)

I shot one a few years ago with my 45-70. We were having a bit of a bear problem that year so I was packing the big Marlin on the seat of the pickup. We came around a corner of a haul road and as luck would have it almost run into a small bunch of yearling pups. They ran off onto a landing and stopped looking back at me at about 250 yards. I got out of the truck, loaded a couple of cartridges in the rifle and held well above the nearest wolf. With what was much more luck than skill I managed to centre the 405 grain cast bullet on his chest and punched a 45 calibre hole the length of the dog. I swear we could almost see daylight through bullet channel.

Cariboo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Is he still alive? I heard he was in the hospital a month ago trying to survive a burst appendix. I have no use whatsoever for his type of bigotry and historical revisionism but no one deserves to fight that type of infection.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks again for the reply and hunting info.

I hit a coyote one time with a .30-30 94 that's running a 100 year old tang site set at 130yds kinda the same way. We estimated it was standing more than 200yds away, but how much farther was guesswork at best.

It was standing in a big open sage brush bowl covered with fresh snow, so I held on the dog, then began to raise the bead above it as I started to squeeze.

It just wasn't it's day as somehow the 170gr hit it.... wink

I can just imagine a 405gr built tunnel - well done sir, well done indeed. cool

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/08/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboo

Is he still alive? I heard he was in the hospital a month ago trying to survive a burst appendix. I have no use whatsoever for his type of bigotry and historical revisionism but no one deserves to fight that type of infection.

I have no idea actually....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.