Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Looking to pick up a SS 16x or 20x strictly for the purpose of load work up, learning to use turrets, general plinking at longer ranges. Not to be a hunting scope. Got a couple questions as I've not really familiar with these scopes, and haven't used a fixed power very much.

It says they are "rear focus". Is that the parallex adjustment?? Or is this the standard eye piece focus??

Which reticle?? I understand the basic concept of MOA, but haven't dealt with MILRAD. Not opposed to learning anything new, more knowledge is always a good thing.

Any particular thoughts on these scopes?? Issues with any particular model, with regards to magnification??

Thanks guys.

GB1

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
If it makes any difference, I plan to buy the 1-4 SS on the AR that I'm currently in process of building. If that plays into this consideration at all.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The parallax adjustment is on the rear of scope like a power ring on variable, the eye piece has a european style focus ring instead of a threaded eyepiece.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/threads/down-and-dirty-how-to-use-a-milrad-reticle.39046/

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Parallax isn't on the side or on the Objective. It's toward the ass end.

Go mil/mil.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only gone up to the 10x milquad for the purpose of what you mention. I like it a lot.

IC B2

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Thanks. Good responses and quick. Appreciate it. The education is much needed.

wyo260, I copied that explanation and pasted into a Word document, and then made a PDF copy of it if anyone wants it.

It appears you'll have to email me if anyone wants a copy in document form. File's too big to attach here.

x2mosgyahoo.com

Thanks again.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the scopes. I have had only 5.
A 6x milquad great scope.
A 10 mildot also great.
A 12x milquad I like really well, p-dog scope on my 17 HMR.
A 16x milquad that I just got and mounted on a win. 52D { I shoot this 22 for bench rest and golf balls up to 150 yds. I had the 20x on this rifle last year and I could never warm up to it hence the 16 which I have only used once.}
I don't twist turrets to long ranges but feel these are a lot of scope for the money. I do use the turrets for the different ranges with my 22's.
IMO for very precision shooting the milquad is better.
I might try the 16x on one of my 204's for p-dogs it just might be perfect.

MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The first SS I ever tried was a 16 and I liked it a lot. Since then I've swooped at least 6 more of the 16x. I know the saying as x's go up everything else goes down, but for me they are great on a 223, 308, and several 22's.
I picked up a few of the 1x4's as well. Put one on a fun 22 and the other will go an an AR. Also picked up a 10 on Black Friday just for fun but haven't used it yet.
I certainly don't twist turrets as much as some of these guys but for $300 I don't really see myself ever buying anything else..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buying a 10x soon. Excited to try it! It'll go on a 30-06 that I'm resurrecting from the back of the gun safe, and shot out to as far as it'll take me.

What do you guys like for mounts for a SS?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a used SWFA 10X moa for sale and put it on my 30 BR for testing. Liked it enough to buy another also in classifieds. First one is on a 257 Roy which will be used to wack some jackrabbits and rock rats this spring.

A friend liked the SWFAs I got and ordered a 16X for one of his varmint rifles. I installed it and sighted in his rifle for him. I think I will be getting a 16X soon.

I have noticed one thing about these fixed power models, the parallax is quite critical for a clear picture. If it is not adjusted close to the distance you are viewing it is a blur.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Buying a 10x soon. Excited to try it! It'll go on a 30-06 that I'm resurrecting from the back of the gun safe, and shot out to as far as it'll take me.

What do you guys like for mounts for a SS?

I really like the SWFA rings. I had to modify my Weaver-style bases a bit for them to fit, but they are like the scope-tanks! I would suggest their rings on a rail.

I have a 6x on Ruger American that I really like. It is a hunting rifle and I shot several deer at last light with it. I will eventually have them on all of my rifles in one form or another.

Last edited by sbhooper; 02/02/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
It's kinda obvious their well-liked scopes around here. LOL

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I have noticed one thing about these fixed power models, the parallax is quite critical for a clear picture. If it is not adjusted close to the distance you are viewing it is a blur.

If you don't really feel you need the adjustable parallax, then you can:

Set the parallax to infinity, use the eye focus to get things back into focus, and never use the parallax adjustment again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took the fixed power SWFA SS scopes, two 10X and the one 16X, to do some more viewing. I set the parallax at indicated 200 yds, something I do with other scopes when I walk the desert looking for varmints or coyotes. No time to adj parallax when critters are moving.

Turns out the 10X were quite clear from 50 yd to 250 or so. The 16X is the one that is blurry unless the parallax is set CLOSE to the distance being viewed.

I also tried putting the 10X on infinity and adjusting the reticle focus ring. I only looked at 200 yds and it was okay without any adjustment. I tried some adjusting and couldn't see any change except the reticle began to go out of focus. Didn't work with the 16X.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an older 10x MQ with rear parallax adjustment from 50yd - infinity. SWFA lists their 2 current model 10x, one with rear and one with side focus parallax adjustment from 10m - infinity. For those who have purchased a 10x recently, is 10m - infinity correct? I'm interested in using one for a rimfire.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It'll only come as a "surprise",to those that shoot the LEAST,that parallax becomes more and more critical,as X's increase. That despite the FACT,that it doesn't matter who's glass it is. Hint.

The 6x is certainly the most forgiving,because it has the most eye-relief,greatest erector travel,most brightness and it's parallax demands are the least fickle. Hint.

6x MQ for Killing,10x MQ for playing and yes...10 Meter parallax adjustment is a reality. Yes...I suffer 12x's and 16x's too.

I tend to scribe 6x parallax at 250yds,for immediate reference and liken it akin to a zero-stop,as cheap insurance. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

10 Meter parallax is a handy option,whether on a FWB 300S,Anschutz 54 or any/all centerfires.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.

Just sayin'.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've moved away from the 16X scopes, both SWFA and Leupold. They seemed like a good idea when I was getting started in long range shooting, but after a while I saw the light, and have shifted to SWFA 10X and 12X.

The 16X drawbacks for me were the small FOV, critical eye-relief, critical parallax, and of course they are not as bright, especially on a 40-42mm objective.

Anything I could see/shoot with the 16X, I can do just as well with the lower power 10/12X. Part of the reason has to do with the current SWFA MQ reticle, it is very fine in the center. Subtension of the center line on the 12X is .04 mils, which is about .14" at 100 yards.

Given the huge erector travel of the SS line, I like to mount them to make as much of that travel useable as reasonably possible.

I have a couple mounted on 45 MOA Picatinny rails. in heavy tactical type rings. from Badger Ord. These setups give a useable 33 mils on the erector, from a 100 yard zero. This setup is best on a stock with a fairly high comb, or adjustable comb if you like that.

[Linked Image]

I have a 10X mounted on an HTG stock with a notoriously low comb. The HTG is about right with a stock pack to pad up the comb, and the scope mounted in Burris Medium dual-dovetail Signature rings. The eccentrics add about 19 moa forward slope, and I put a 40/thou shim under the rear base, for about 59 MOA forward slope. This gives 35 mils useable in the erector, and keeps the scope down low to the rifle.

(boresighting)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shane

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by x2mosg
......It says they are "rear focus". Is that the parallex adjustment?? Or is this the standard eye piece focus??....

There is both.

In this pic I'm adjusting the diopter adjustment which is for focusing the reticle. Once set you can cap it with a flip cap or whatever, and it doesn't need any more adjusting, like any other scope.

Forward a bit, where the power selector ring usually is on a variable, that's the parallax adjustment ring.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are the SSs spring airgun rated by SWFA?

Did you have to use an angled base on the FWB?

Thanks.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/07/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As most of the answers to your questions have been spot on and, in my opinion, correct, I will just recommend the Milquad. I much prefer the 6X for overall hunting and the 10X for prairie doggin'. Don't let the fact that BigStick came late to the SWFA party (Kimber Montana also) and now acts as though he discovered them (both SWFA & Montucky) dissuade you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.