Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Recommendations? I've been looking at Waterlox, what have you used that works well?

Thanks

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you are not going to cut on it polyurethane based sealer. If you are then sand it progressively to a fine finish and use warm food grade mineral oil.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Fluffy is your man. Seriously. He's pure genious and artisan with wood. The pictures of his work on here are nothing short of amazing.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used Deft to finish laminated maple workbench tops. I've used both spray and brushed application 3-4 coats with a Scotch Brite scuff between coats and final rub out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax buff with a micro fiber cloth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scott, whatever product/technique you settle on, be sure to apply sealer to all sides and edges of the wood counter top. It will keep cupping and warping to a minimum during times of extreme humidity and dryness. I've seen very nice slabs of wood cup like crazy because the bottom side was never sealed. It doesn't have to be nicely done like the top, just sealed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd use something like Varathane that is commonly used on bar tops.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A buddy was just telling me about this company's products yesterday: http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/
Varying epoxy thicknesses, form thin liquid to actually soak in and become part of the wood to putty type for filling. He's used it on a tabletop for his daughter. Filled splits that would be weak spots and they're now stronger than the rast of the wood. We were out to a new brew pub last night that had the same finish on the wooden tables and bar tops. Seriously tough stuff.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Scott, whatever product/technique you settle on, be sure to apply sealer to all sides and edges of the wood counter top. It will keep cupping and warping to a minimum during times of extreme humidity and dryness. I've seen very nice slabs of wood cup like crazy because the bottom side was never sealed. It doesn't have to be nicely done like the top, just sealed.

I hear you, I fully intend to seal all sides. I'm thinking a straight poly for the underside since I ain't eating off of that...

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by shootinurse
A buddy was just telling me about this company's products yesterday: http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/
Varying epoxy thicknesses, form thin liquid to actually soak in and become part of the wood to putty type for filling. He's used it on a tabletop for his daughter. Filled splits that would be weak spots and they're now stronger than the rast of the wood. We were out to a new brew pub last night that had the same finish on the wooden tables and bar tops. Seriously tough stuff.

I'm thinking when the time comes to 'refinish' that the tougher stuff will be more a PIA to deal with. Granted the other stuff will likely need more 'maintenance' it's also much easier to deal with/touch up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good point. My buddy says it sands well, though. I have to see his finished projects.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll still keep it in mind. I have about 5 weeks to go before the cabinets/countertops get here

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The butcher block tops we order are finished either with mineral oil,applied every few weeks, or if food is not to be prepared on it,a "varnique"finish is applied.
Just be sure they are installed correctly,so they can expand
And contract ,or it will warp or crack.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Fluffy is your man. Seriously. He's pure genious and artisan with wood. The pictures of his work on here are nothing short of amazing.

Well,thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.johnboos.com/faq.asp?s=r#kitchentops

Look here for finish info,boos is a big maker of wood ct.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
The plan is only with screws through an expansion hole in the cabinets. There will be 2 seams and the plan there is draw bolts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing I thought of opening the thread.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Recommendations? I've been looking at Waterlox, what have you used that works well?

Thanks

Nuff said.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When Waterlox needs redoing, just add another coat with no stripping and very little sanding. We use in home and the beach. I find it ideal. Call the company. Great folks but does have an until it dries

There are fools and damn fools, which one are you?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Odor until dry

Last edited by tarheel74; 02/07/16.

There are fools and damn fools, which one are you?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The plan is only with screws through an expansion hole in the cabinets. There will be 2 seams and the plan there is draw bolts.

sounds like you will be just fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.